Next page >>
Page 19 of 29

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, June 21, 2007  -  1:20 PM Reply with quote
Imams of Fiqa and Sufism

Muhammad ibn Ahmad al-Saffarini al-Hanbali (d. 1188) relates in his Ghidha' al-albab li-sharh manzumat al-adab from Ibrahim ibn `Abd Allah al-Qalanasi that Imam Ahmad said about the Sufis: "I don't know people better than them." Someone said to him: "They listen to music and they reach states of ecstasy." He said: "Do you prevent them from enjoying an hour with Allah?"

al-Saffarini, Ghidha' al-albab li-sharh manzumat al-adab (Cairo: Matba`at al-Najah, 1324/1906) 1:120

Be both a jurisprudent and a sûfî - never just one of the two.
Truly, by the Divine Right, I am advising you sincerely!
For the former is hardened, his heart tastes no Godwariness,
While the latter is ignorant - of what use is the ignorant?
Al-Shâfi`î, Dîwân (p. 177 #45).

Imam Malik said: “He who practices tasawwuf without learning Sacred Law corrupts his faith, while he who learns Sacred Law without practicing tasawwuf corrupts himself. Only he who combines the two proves true.”

`Ali al-Qari, Sharh `Ayn al-`Ilm wa- Zayn al-Hilm (Cairo: Maktabat al-Thaqafa al-Diniyya, 1989) 1:33; Ahmad Zarruq, Qawa`id al-tasawwuf (Cairo, 1310); `Ali al-`Adawi, Hashiyat al-`Adawi `ala Sharh Abi al-Hasan li-Risalat Ibn Abi Zayd al-Musammat Kifayat al- Talib al-Rabbani li-Risalat Ibn Abi Zayd al-Qayrawani fi Madhhab Malik (Beirut?: Dar Ihya' al-Kutub al-`Arabiyah, (n.d.) 2:195; Ibn `Ajiba, Iqaz al-Himam fi Sharh al- Hikam (Cairo: Halabi, 1392/1972) p. 5-6.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, June 25, 2007  -  10:06 PM Reply with quote
thnx all for the input in this regard;

however we must be very careful that nothing should enter deen as deen except what has been given by Qur'an and the teachings of all the prophets sws of the past as finalized by the final prophet sws. --the rest of the things cause a very high risk of confusion and amalgamation in religion.
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, June 27, 2007  -  12:50 PM Reply with quote
Who elsc could better undersatood the religion than the four Imams after Prophet(pbug) and Sahabah.Most of us are following their's interpretation of religion one way or the other.

Tasawwuf is always there From Prophet (pbuh) times till now.I will advised you to please read the whole forum, it is all explained through Quran and Sahih ahadith.

If you have any daubt and if you wish to understand tasawwuf please read the forum with open mind and ask questions if you have any.Participants here will try to answer it.

Speaking negatively or positively about any thing without presenting any evidence,is not a good thing to do.

Regards,
Mujahid

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, June 28, 2007  -  2:18 AM Reply with quote
AssalamoAlaikum Brother Usmani,
I am very new to the forum and have tried my best to read the posts but ofcourse could'nt read them all.I have few questions about tassawuf and its place in islam.Your help will be much appreciated as i gather you are a firm believer of it.I will only ask one question at a time;
My first question is about 'Wahdatul wajood'?can you please explain to me what it means?
regards
Mujahid
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, June 28, 2007  -  12:53 PM Reply with quote
Walaikum Salam Brother Mujahid,

I Well come to you in the forum.Brother so far what I understood that Wahdatul wajood have no direct link with tasawwuf.Any way it was comes under discussion in this forum earlier.If you wish learn about it,please see my posts on page 11 and 12 of this forum.Hope it will give some usefull input about Wahdatul wajood.

Regards,
Mujahid

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, June 30, 2007  -  2:14 AM Reply with quote
Brother Usmani,
I have read the posts explaining the concept of Wahdatul Wajood.In my humble view the concept of Wahdatul Wajood as explained by the great Sufias challenges the concept of Tawheed presented by Quran.
According to Quran, the most desirable level of the belief of Tawheed is to hold that no one, besides God, deserves to be given the status of a deity and thus no one, besides God, deserves to be given the rights that are deserved by a deity. This, according to the Qur'an was the teaching of all the Prophets of God, including Muhammad (pbuh). However, in the eyes of Sufism, this is only the starting level of the belief of Tawheed. They hold that the ultimate and true level of Tawheed is the acceptance of the belief that no one besides God enjoys existence(Wahdatul Wajood).This concept of Tawheed is explained in the following books written by some very well known and highly respected Sufis."Manaazil al-Saayireen" by Abu Ismail Al-Harawi (Arabic); "Ihyaa Uloom Al-Deen" by Abu Hamid Mohammed Al-Ghazali (Arabic); "Fusoos Al-Hikam" by Muhiyuddin Ibn Al-Arabiy (Arabic); "Futoohaat e Makkiyah" by Muhiyuddin Ibn Al-Arabiy (Arabic);"Maktoobaat" by Shaikh Ahmad Badruddin Abul Barakaat Farooqi Sirhandy (Persian); and"`Abaqaat" by Shah Mohammed Ismail;
If you are implying that the writings of the scholar referred by you gives the true concept of ‘Wahdatul Wajood’then I am afraid one has to believe that a new direction to ‘Wahdatul Wajood ‘ is being given which is different from the one explained by the greats of this field.However,if some sufi or scholar is prepared to do that he will have to publicly denounce all the above sufias for presenting a wrong concept of Tawheed.
My dear brother Usmani, Islam was completed during the life of Prophet Muhammad pbuh and Quran insists that it is very clear book without any deviation and is very simple to understand.If we believe in the words of Quran truly and consider it as an ultimate guidance then i am afraid there is absolutely no place for Sufism in Islam.
Your brother in Islam
Mujahid
salmant

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, June 30, 2007  -  8:02 AM Reply with quote
A question...

Hypothetically speaking, if the 4 Imams liked mangoes as a fruit, would mangoes become a significant part of Islam as well?
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, June 30, 2007  -  11:43 AM Reply with quote
Brother Mujahid,

The problem with you is that you think Quran is very easy book to undersatnd.That is where you are wrong.I agreed that some part of Quran are really very easy but not all Quran.

There has already enough material has been provided in the forum which certainly established that sufism has its roots in Islam.

What I have seen here that the people who did not accept sufism as part of islam are mostly those who thought that they have enough ability to undersatnd the religion and refused to accept the interpretation of majority of lerned people of the past and presents.It is not only sifism but even in many other issues of religion they did not accept the 'Jahmoor' rather come with a diffrent and a new concept with out having any background of islamic studies.

Quran say "if you don't know ask the people who knows" and Prophet(pbuh) has said"follow the majority of learned people"and this is the guide line of Quran and Prophet(pbuh) I am trying to follow.
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, June 30, 2007  -  12:12 PM Reply with quote
Quote:-Hypothetically speaking, if the 4 Imams liked mangoes as a fruit, would mangoes become a significant part of Islam as well?

Sufism is not mangoes.Did they ever said such a thing as part of religion? then why you are assuming such things on their behalf.

If you really think that they were the pious and laened people,so please try to give respect to their opinions.
salmant

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, June 30, 2007  -  12:46 PM Reply with quote
With due respect to them, I am just asking that whether their personal taste and preference in certain matters would also be counted and considered as a religious sanction?
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, June 30, 2007  -  12:51 PM Reply with quote
I don't think so.Any way the example of mangoes was not appropriate.
Mujahid

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, June 30, 2007  -  2:12 PM Reply with quote
Brother Usmani,
I have some reservations about certain things mentioned in your reply but i really dont think this issue can be resolved over the net.I have no authority to doubt your sincerity.However,Would you agree that all those who are against sufism are also sincere in their criticism?
regards
Mujahid
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, June 30, 2007  -  2:29 PM Reply with quote
I can not doubt on their sincerrity,they might be sincere.But this is not enough to follow some one on an important issue.We must see where are the majority of learned and sincere people.
Mujahid

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, June 30, 2007  -  4:47 PM Reply with quote
Insha'Allah on the day of judgement God will settle all the issues between us.The important thing,as i understand from Quran, is that we must strive to search for the truth with utmost sincerity and after making best efforts whatever truth unfolds before us we must submit to it irrespective of our inclinations towards a specific approach.If we keep this point in our mind we will respect not only muslims from all schools of thoughts but non muslims a s well.
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, June 30, 2007  -  5:25 PM Reply with quote
Excellent post brother Mujahid. The criteria for anything to be right cannot be majority. Truth or Haq is right on the basis of reason and logic. Majority can fluctuate form place to place. If I am in Iran should I accept the shiaat scholars as the majority of scholars there are from that school of thought.

Can I ask brother Usmani, that will he accept as truth and Haq if majority of scholars agreed, even though his own mind raised doubts and reservations.

I am glad we do not live in China
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, June 30, 2007  -  5:39 PM Reply with quote
So if I was living somewhere near Usama bin laden and surrounded by scholars of his school of thought .As majority is authority, I would agree with suicide bombing and killing of innocent people. If I was living on West Bank or Gaaza and surrounded by Hamas, I would also practice suicide attacks. There will be no role for me to use my intellect?

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

<< Previous Page
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Next page >>
Page 19 of 29

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker