Next page >>
Page 1 of 5

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Nida_e_Khair

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Thursday, August 31, 2006  -  6:41 PM Reply with quote
A New Concern For Biology Students

I have a very serious issue to address that hardly anyone ever bother's about these days. Religious people may very easily point fingers at non-hijabi women, but they hardly say anything concerning this topic. The fact of the matter is that nowadays when you're studying biology, and when you come across this chapter of "Reproduction in Animals", you hardly feel uncomfortable in studying it. My question is, "Isn't it inappropriate to study about the male and female sexual organs in co-education schools?" Hold on! I'm not being narrow-minded. I'm not saying that you don't study these things. I'm just saying that you need to study these things in a proper environment where there's no fear of fitnah. I mean, I absolutely have no objection if this topic is studied keeping the following things in mind:

1) None of the students see/look at the reproductive organs. Your purpose is to make them know the structure, right? Then show the structure in a way that the organ is not shown. Most of the biology books have full naked bodies of men and women, and when you're studying reproduction, you have to glare at the different parts of the genitals just to get an idea of the structures. This is not correct. I don't think there's any need to 'look' at the genitals to get their structure. Just tell them where the different glands, etc. lie or where they're located. There's no point in showing the whole outline or shape of the penis and stuff. Remember, we're supposed to lower our gazes and guard our modesty.
2) There shouldn't be a co-education school. Even if there is, boys and girls should have separate classrooms or there should be a screen in between or something.
3) The teacher should be of the same sex as that of the student; a male teacher should not be allowed to teach a group of girls, and the same goes for a female teacher.

If these points are kept in mind, I think the students will have a better understanding and the shy ones will definitely feel more comfortable Inshaa-Allah. But at my school, it's a very different and miserable story. This is how we do it in my "Muslim" school:
1) In Islam, no-one's allowed to look at anyone's (even a man's) thighs, but forget about the thighs; we're taking it a step further: looking at the private parts of a man.
2) In fact, we're taking this sin up to the fourth level: the first level of sin was that you look at a man's thighs; In (1), we were crossing this level and looking at the private parts. I consider looking at the private parts of a man to be at level 3, because level 2 would be looking at a woman's thighs. But here, we're crossing those levels to reach level four: looking at the private parts, and that too, of a woman.
3) The girls are studying about the sexual organs of both males and females along with males.
4) The boys are studying about the sexual organs of both males and females along with females.
(If I were to summarise (3) and (4), it would be something like this: both sexes are looking at the sexual organs in each other's presence. Now that doesn't sound very modest, does it?)
5) The girls are sitting side by side with boys instead of sitting behind them or in a separate class, and there isn't even a partition between them; which means that a boy can actually look at a girl while studying about her sexual organ. How modest is that?
6) The girls are not wearing Hijaab. My school doesn't have an option; Hijab is disallowed though it's a Muslim school. And believe me, our girl's uniform is such that it literally makes you look half-naked. (Starting from the head to 2 inches down the chest, everything is uncovered which exposes the hair, the ears, the entire neck and even part of the chest; the sleeves are 3 to 4 inches above the elbows; loose sizes of this pathetic uniform are not available; and to make matters even worse, though it could hardly get worse than this, we have a dupatta that is only around 4 inches wide and is not even thick enough to properly cover anything. It's like it doesn't even exist! It's not even fit to be called a dupatta: it's just a miserable strip of cloth.) So basically, the sixth point is that girls are studying about their sexual organs with boys while being half-naked!
7) The teacher is a woman.
8) What makes (7) worse is that even she's not properly covered. She's an attractive, 'perfect-figured' woman, and her clothes reveal the entire shape of her body, i.e. from head to toe. And remember the Hadeeth which talks about women being naked even when clothed? Well, my biology teacher 100% fits that category of women.
9) Furthermore, she has this pathetic habit of pointing to her body parts while she's teaching. e.g., if she's explaining the location of the kidneys in the lower abdomen, then she's first gonna point to her lower abdomen, then place her hand over there, and finally say, "This is where the kidneys lie." At this point, the boys can't do anything except just stare at a non-mahram woman's abdomen.

The above 9 points are enough to make any Muslim cry his heart out or sob to death. I mean, come on! Why are we changing our religion with time and with advances in science? Our Islam is a complete way of life and highly open-minded, and therefore it feels no shame at all in talking about sex. In fact, it was the first one to talk about and deal with this matter, and that too, in a perfect way. I think any true Believer would make a perfect sex educator! Then why can't we do it the Islamic way, which is way above the loathsome western way (like the above 9 points)?
Just think it this way. What if Sayyidah Fatimah or Ruqayyah were in my place? What would she have done? I'll tell you...first of all, she wouldn't have got admission in this school in the first place due to the absurd rule of 'no-hijab'. Even if she would've joined it, she would've withdrawn at the age of puberty, because for her the commandments of her Lord would've been infinite times more important than scoring an 'A' grade or getting admission in a university. But apart from this, I don't think she would've allowed herself to study about or look at the reproductive organs, especially in the presence of young boys.
The above were only my views; I would like to know what you people think about this way of teaching. Is the system of my school Islamic?
sahira

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, September 01, 2006  -  10:34 AM Reply with quote
salaam nida,

im quite shocked to learn what you are writing regarding your school, i can not comment about how things are taught in pakistan in schools but hijaab not allowed in a pakistani school, well thats ridiculous. british schools even allow hijaab, not only that they also allow you to wear uniform which can be very modest here. i admit jilbaba is not allowed but its not required seeing as you can buy unifrom as loose as you want or even in the pinaform long dress styles.maybe moderator Hkhan can answer your questions as she is a gynocologist and therfore has been a biology student. but can i ask do you not have all boys or all girls school there? if not being it a school in pakistan why isnt biology taught speratly? please get back to me as i am rather alarmed about all this.
Nida_e_Khair

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, September 02, 2006  -  12:57 PM Reply with quote
Wa'Alaikum ussalaam Sister. I'm very glad to know that all of this shocked you. But believe me, this isn't the end of the miserable lifetime-shocking story. There are sooo many things to tell you about my school! They'll give you the shock of your life. By the way, you know what's most amazing about my school? Almost everyday, the head teacher of the school who's also the Principal's daughter, walks into the assembly and yells out: "Children, don't care what people think of you as long as you're doing the RIGHT THING!" For her, doing the right thing is the most important thing in life. And there's one other shocking thing. You mustn't be knowing this, but in most Pakistani schools, the students wish the teacher Good Morning. In our unIslamic school, we're forced to say Salaam.

Plus, the Principal is a staunch Shia. And when it comes to Hijab, Shias have a whole history to tell. My mother is a Shia. I remember how she was shocked at the disallowance of Hijab and told me about the whole scene that took place after the martyrdom of Imam Hussain. She told me that the day Yazeed had snatched away the 'chadars' of the ladies, on that day the sun did not come out. Can you believe it? This woman has no respect for Lady Fatimah inspite of being a Shia.

You wrote that British schools allow Hijab. Sweetheart, forget British schools! Even CHRISTIAN MISSIONARY SCHOOLS in Pakistan allow Hijab! My school I think is the ONLY school in the whole of Pakistan that does not allow Hijab. I love my country. I'm a patriot. But after an incident that took place at school, I just don't feel like singing the National Anthem. Why? Because I felt Pakistan was a hypocrite, and I still feel it today. Yesterday, I went to the Passport Office and guess what? When I looked at the cover of my Passport, it read, "Islamic Republic of Pakistan". And I was like, "Yeah right! Maybe that's why you didn't allow me Hijab, huh?" I felt like striking off the word "Islamic". Earlier that day, I'd seen dozens of Pakistani men wearing skin-tight jeans, their ankles covered with the lower garment sometimes touching the floor, with not a single hair on their chins, and with long and bushy moustaches. And the women, they were dressed the other way round: ankles uncovered, tight-fitting clothes, etc. And you know what, Sahira? Everytime I saw such people, I couldn't help but just stare at the word "Islamic" on the Passport.

Anyway, I'm sorry for getting carried away. I'm answering your question regarding if there are non-coeducation schools here. Sister, there are hundreds of non-coed schools all over Pakistan. But I can't join any of them. I'm under compulsion. As for your other question regarding why biology can't be taught separately, I think the only answer to that is that the people here are devoid of wisdom.

If you have any further questions on this, especially personal questions, then please feel free to e-mail me at awan_nida@hotmail.com .
sahira

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, September 02, 2006  -  2:39 PM Reply with quote
salaam sister, well im still scocked but have to touch up on my experience of lahore and islamabad, seeing as you mentioned dress sense over there.
i was in pakistan last year decided to go sightseeing as you do to see your beautiful country,. when i got to lahore ( i had heard alot about how people dress over there) well still i was dumbstruck i actully thought i was in uk,i saw girls wearing sleevless tops skin tight jeans (probably used vasselin to get into them), beautiful open hair for the world to admire and the reason i was shocked was because coming from a western country, i have to say most of the asian girls dont dress like that alot do but not all. here girls do wear jeans but its usually with half decent tops. but to go to a so called islamic country you do not expect to see this. girls were there in groups alone, chilling out likewise for the boys, and i have to say i was actully embarassed for these people.
i use to wear western clothes through out uni but have to say my clothes were always decent even though i wasnt a hijabi then. decency comes from within you dont buy decency when you go to buy your first hijaab or jilbab, so these people are not practicing, but where is the common decency gone?. men were luring after this women like the female population might go extint tommorrow and have to say the women were encouraging it just as much. im sorry i had better expectations of pakistan and was let down. so parts of pakistan like those i mentioned have moved on from the dark ages ( as villages are known to still be there) but what have they gained and lost in the process?. women and men can look more beautiful even when dressed modestly, i see young girls here with appropriate clothing and wearing hijaabs and it makes me so proud. dont these people from islamabad and lahore (not all ofcourse) know that you can be educated, have freedom, move with the times yet still be modest in the way you look?. moving with the times does not mean remove decency and respect for yourselves by flauntings your attributes. moving with the times means do everyting but in the context of islam represent pakistan as the islamic country it should be.

asian families here hav westernised in alot of ways ths is the price we are paying for bringing aur families into the western world, its heartrendering to see western women dressed more appropriate than some of the asain people here. we have picked up all the western culture im sorry to say, there is no excuse for such behaviour but you still can blame the country not entrley of course but what i would like to know is what is pakistans excuse?
Nida_e_Khair

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, September 02, 2006  -  5:02 PM Reply with quote
Quote:....i would like to know is what is pakistans excuse?

You know, that's a good question though I hardly know the answer to it. But I think it's just a matter of fate. Maybe Allah hasn't chosen these people for His Guidance. The youngsters over here think it's quite cool to dress up like that. They just fail to realise that being cool actually lies in following Islam. If a teenage girl over here takes a dupatta over her head, she's considered "old fashioned"; (believe me, I've had my experiences.) Vulgarity is all that we've taken up from the west. If the west ever goes to Hell, it'll be because of shirk or kufr; if Pakistan ever goes to Hell, it'll be because of its liberals.
Nauman

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, September 02, 2006  -  6:52 PM Reply with quote
As-Salaamu Alaikum Nida,

After reading this forum, now I cannot help myself asking you about what school do you go to?
lubnayasmin

SWEDEN
Posted - Thursday, September 07, 2006  -  4:00 PM Reply with quote
Asslamualikum. With the mercy of Allah, Its been two years I am giving lecture to the medical students (including male and female) about female reproductive systems and disease. Allhamdullillah I have not found any problem (which is against Islam) in giving and gaining knowledge in this regards. However the point of view is only gain knowledge and it never happend to me to look at the differents part of the male and female organ, Astagfirullah. Allah allow both man and woman to study and learn good things which will help you to follow right path. For me I want to say I already blind to see bad things and my eyes is open to exchange knowledge Allahmdullillah.
lubnayasmin

SWEDEN
Asslamualikum. With the mercy of Allah, Its been two years I am giving lecture to the medical students (including male and female) about female reproductive systems and disease. Allhamdullillah I have not found any problem (which is against Islam) in giving and gaining knowledge in this regards. However the point of view is only gain knowledge and it never happend to me to look at the differents part of the male and female organ, Astagfirullah. Allah allow both man and woman to study and learn good things which will help you to follow right path. For me I want to say I already blind to see bad things and my eyes is open to exchange knowledge Allahmdullillah.
lubnayasmin

SWEDEN
lubnayasmin

SWEDEN
Posted - Thursday, September 07, 2006  -  4:03 PM Reply with quote
I am extreamly sorry and apolozise, I don't know how my reply goes for 3x
sahira

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, September 07, 2006  -  10:43 PM Reply with quote
salaam lubna,
i emailed you some time back but havent herd from you i hope you are ok by the blessing of Allah SWT
lubnayasmin

SWEDEN
Posted - Friday, September 08, 2006  -  10:48 AM Reply with quote
dear Sahira, assalamualikum, I reply you back but I wonder why didn't you get it, I am sending right now, please accept my apology
Nida_e_Khair

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, September 09, 2006  -  11:25 AM Reply with quote
Brother Nauman, I’m so extremely sorry. I really want to tell you the name of this stupid school but I guess that'll be betrayal on my part. I posted the above for the sake of Allah and I can't possibly annoy Him by uchalufying the 'izzat of my school. I'm being so tempted right now to tell you the name so you can do something about it. And you live in Pakistan! How big a temptation is that! If only you were a real brother of mine...!!
Nauman

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, September 09, 2006  -  4:21 PM Reply with quote
Dear Nida,

Quote: I really want to tell you the name of this stupid school but I guess that'll be betrayal on my part.

No problem. I hope it is not in Karachi.
Nida_e_Khair

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, September 13, 2006  -  3:12 AM Reply with quote
Actually, it is in Karachi. Why?
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Wednesday, September 13, 2006  -  9:30 AM Reply with quote
its also a degree of iman to feel bad about bad things and certainly you have that.
we are not going to be questioned on the day of judgement for the issues which is beyond our limit and changing the entire environment of your college is definitely beyond your limit.
All you can do is to keep on praying for good,discussing with your classmates about it and concentrate on your studies only.

Edited by: raushan on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 12:50 PM

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2 3 4 5
Next page >>
Page 1 of 5

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker