Page 1 of 3

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
khaledgr8

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Monday, January 22, 2007  -  8:50 AM Reply with quote
What is seccess

Dear All ,

Now a days i m trying to find out the exact definition of Success.What is one definition at which everyone should waste his/her all efforts to achieve it.

Khaled
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, January 22, 2007  -  1:19 PM Reply with quote
salam brother

Success can be defined according to worldly terms or religious terms. The worldly definition is obvious. It will defined according to the extent you achieve your worldly goals i.e education, money, power , fame.

In religious terms the definition also seems obvious. The one who attains paradise and successful on the Day of Judgement.

One aspect that may apply mutually to both is inner peace, satisfaction.
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Monday, January 22, 2007  -  1:32 PM Reply with quote
success can be defined as a state when one neither needs to achieve anything else nor she/he is afraid of loosing whatever he /she has.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Monday, January 22, 2007  -  2:18 PM Reply with quote
quote:

success can be defined as a state when one neither needs to achieve anything else nor she/he is afraid of loosing whatever he /she has.

Kindly tell us from which dictionary/encyclopedia you have quoted this meaning of the word 'success'

According to Wikipedia, 'success' means achievement of a objective/goal. The word 'success' is also sometimes used to mean a level of social status

According to Wordnet The noun success has 4 meanings:

Meaning #1: an event that accomplishes its intended purpose
Antonym: failure

Meaning #2: an attainment that is successful

Meaning #3: a state of prosperity or fame
Antonym: failure

Meaning #4: a person with a record of successes
Synonyms: achiever, winner, succeeder

Word Tutor defines 'success' as: An event that accomplishes its intended purpose. Also: A person with a record of accomplishments

According to Thesaurus the meaning of 'success' is: The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted

The general meaning shown in most of the other Dictionaries is: The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted / The gaining of fame or prosperity The extent of such gain.
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Monday, January 22, 2007  -  2:29 PM Reply with quote
46:13 Verily those who say, "Our Lord is Allah," and remain firm (on that Path),- on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
10:62 Behold! verily on the friends of Allah there is no fear, nor shall they grieve;
3:170 They rejoice in the bounty provided by Allah. And with regard to those left behind, who have not yet joined them (in their bliss), the (Martyrs) glory in the fact that on them is no fear, nor have they (cause to) grieve.
2:112 Nay,-whoever submits His whole self to Allah and is a doer of good,- He will get his reward with his Lord; on such shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
2:277 Those who believe, and do deeds of righteousness, and establish regular prayers and regular charity, will have their reward with their Lord: on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

aboosait,
salam,
what else do anyone need to achieve after the reward of Allah and will there be any fear after acheiving it.
imran776

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, January 22, 2007  -  3:43 PM Reply with quote
Life if you has a whole can't be justification without considering it as test for humans by his God (for which he has not only provided guidance within humans but also sent his messagners). So the success is that if act according to his guidance and failure otherwise.

But it's not possible to decide this during the test period. It can and will only be determined during the day of judgement.

Take the example of education. You know that the end of year you will have to go through the exam. So during the whole yeasr you keep preparing for that but you don't decide during that period that if you are successful or have failed. You only come to know until your result is announce. So during the test period ehat you do is to do your best. If you come across difficult subject or topic that you can't understand easily you try harder.

So that's true for life with one advantage the the result will be fair in all cases(no case of cheating).

The verse you have quoted referrs to the rewards of all the effort put in this world. ITs not a state that you acheieve during your life. I hope this makes any sense.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, January 23, 2007  -  2:06 AM Reply with quote
quote:

The verse you have quoted referrs to the rewards of all the effort put in this world. ITs not a state that you acheieve during your life. I hope this makes any sense.
Dear 786,

'success' means achievement of a objective/goal.

Brother Raushan has summarised his opinion as I quote:
quote:

what else do anyone need to achieve after the reward of Allah and will there be any fear after acheiving it.

And this (the reward of Allah) being the objective/goal of a Muslim, his (a Muslim's) success lies in acheiving this objective (the reward of Allah) as has been rightly pointed out by Raushan.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, January 23, 2007  -  2:14 AM Reply with quote
quote:

aboosait,salam,

Dear Raushan,

Wa Alaikum Assalam w.r.w.b....

Jazak-Allah....
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, January 23, 2007  -  2:18 AM Reply with quote
quote:

Dear 786,
Typographical error regretted.

Actually this was adressed to Imran 776.
khaledgr8

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, January 23, 2007  -  5:42 AM Reply with quote
Waseem Says:
Success can be defined according to worldly terms or religious terms. The worldly definition is obvious. It will define according to the extent you achieve your worldly goals i.e. education, money, power, fame.

These all definitions are varying in a particular context.

I need to know what should be a universal definition for every human creature on this planet.

There are flaws in success of Fame, power and money etc .We see that one has fame is not completely satisfied with life. Similarly this case is same with Money, power etc.

I conceive success as a complete satisfaction of every department of life .Fame, power and money has limited role.

If a person lacks in earning great amount of money, is he unsuccessful? On the contrary he/she follows all commandments of Allah.

I need a concise definition that lies in all criterions.
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, January 23, 2007  -  6:57 AM Reply with quote
Quote:-I need to know what should be a universal definition for every human creature on this planet.

That must be to achive the gole of duties and responsciblites put forward by the Creater on human being as long we are here on this planet.Allah have send here to slect the future population of Junnah amongst humans.
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, January 23, 2007  -  7:06 AM Reply with quote
bro there is a difference in success and satisfaction. In general terms success is achieving and completing your ambition. It will be different for different individuals. For an atheist, his/her definition will be for success on a material issue. Whather that success will give him/her satisfaction and inner peace is different. For a muslim Paradise must be the goal. Qur'an says paradise is the place where one will have no regrets of the past and no fears of the future.

Success may broadly be defined as achieveing ones aims. objectives and goals.
khaledgr8

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, January 23, 2007  -  7:46 AM Reply with quote
So far i conceived from all postings that Success is a different approach for every individual and we should give freedom as to what is he/she is going to achieve .

From religious point of view it is obvious that to achieve the Paradise by doing good deeds in this world.

Therefore success is a individual approach .
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, January 23, 2007  -  7:55 AM Reply with quote
khaledgr8 & usmani 790from PAKISTAN and waseem from UNITED KINGDOM

Salam all.

I don’t see any reasoning in your classifying the English word to mean anything other than what is defind in the Dictionary and Encyclopedia. Hence your classifying it according to worldly terms or religious terms is absurd.

Please scroll back to read the meanings from Wikipedia, Wordnet, Word Tutor, Thesaurus and other dictionariesw in one of my previous posts.
imran776

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, January 23, 2007  -  7:59 AM Reply with quote
Dear Aboosait,

Thanks for clarifying the ststement:

I rather thought it to be a question. Well anyways thanks.

As far as universal goal is concerned I agree with brother Usmani790.

Regarding satisfaction, I guess it means to put all your efforts in achieving any goal and then accepting the results regardless of the fact that they are in you favor or not. In other words it means surrendering to the will of Allah.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, January 23, 2007  -  2:18 PM Reply with quote
quote:

Regarding satisfaction, I guess it means to put all your efforts in achieving any goal and then accepting the results regardless of the fact that they are in you favor or not. In other words it means surrendering to the will of Allah

I am surprised at the way the educated members of this forum are inventing new meanings of English words.

First the word 'success' and now 'satisfaction'

According to dictionary, the word 'satisfaction' is a Noun and has the following meaning:

1. The fulfillment or gratification of a desire, need, or appetite.

2. Pleasure or contentment derived from such gratification.

3. A source or means of gratification.

4. Compensation for injury or loss; reparation.

5. The opportunity to avenge a wrong; vindication.

6. Assurance beyond doubt or question; complete

العربيه (Arabic)
‏(الاسم) أرتياح, أشباع, أرضاء‏

Thesaurus has the following meaning of the Noun 'satisfaction':

Something to make up for loss or damage: amends, compensation, indemnification, indemnity, offset, quittance, recompense, redress, reimbursement, remuneration, reparation, repayment, requital, restitution, setoff.

According to Word Net, The noun satisfaction has 4 meanings:

Meaning #1: the contentment you feel when you have done something right
Antonym: dissatisfaction

Meaning #2: state of being gratified; great satisfaction
Synonym: gratification

Meaning #3: compensation for a wrong
Synonyms: atonement, expiation

Meaning #4: act of fulfilling a desire or need or appetite

And according to Wikipedia Satisfaction may refer to a feeling of gratification

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2 3
Next page >>
Page 1 of 3

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker