Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Wednesday, September 1, 2004  -  4:34 PM Reply with quote
Module1: Verses about Norms of Gender Interaction

Alhamdulillah, the long awainted course is finally online. It is of immense pleasure to us that we have made available a DL course on an all-important area of study as well as a major social issue. Although we have tried our best to provide you with the correct and most authentic information and interpretation on the topic, we acknowledge that some mistakes may remain, for which we look up to our participants. Please do give us your feedback.

To start with, I ask you what verses of the Holy Qur'an talk about gender interaction?

tweety

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, September 2, 2004  -  8:25 PM Reply with quote
salaamz brother
i think its mostly in surah nur
mayb a bit in surah nisa
atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, September 3, 2004  -  7:58 AM Reply with quote
Surah Noor verse 33 and Surah Ahzab. Specially Surah Ahzaab verse 58 to 61
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, September 3, 2004  -  2:02 PM Reply with quote

What is the relationship with the verses of Surah Noor and Surah Ahzab?

What verses of of Surah Nisaa, you refer to? I'd appreciate if you could give us the number.

atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, September 3, 2004  -  3:42 PM Reply with quote
Sir, First of all I would like to inform you that I am not registered in this course yet, I have plan to join this course as soon as i finish my first course. Hopefully you won't mind if I answer here.

I think that the orders in Surah Noor are the Basic orders which has to be followed by everyone whatever may be the circumstances and the orders in Surah Ahzaab are related to a particular situation and those must be carried out according to the circumsatnces. I think that the orders of Surah Ahzaab are not obligatory in normal circumstances.

About Surah Nisa, right now I don't know if there are any orders in Surah Nisa.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, September 4, 2004  -  1:22 PM Reply with quote
This is great that you have decided to join this course later on.

What is it that make you think that the directives in Surah Ahzaab are not obligatory in normal circumstances? Are they obligatory in abnormal circumstances? What kind of?
atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, September 4, 2004  -  3:07 PM Reply with quote
Assalam o Alaikum,

Sir as far as I know, in Surah Ahzaab, the orders were given according to a special circumstance. The hypocrites were trying hard to find out any way through which they can destroy the repute of all believing women and their families specially the Family of the Holy Prophet (sws) as this was the last option left with them to stop the true teachings of the Holy Prophet (sws)

As the hypocrites were specially looking for any opiton rather I would say that they were trying hard to "create" such an issue to destroy the repute of the Noble Family.

This was the main reason that there are many orders in this surah specifically for the wives of Holy Prophet (sws). as in the verse 33:32

033.032 O Consorts of the Prophet! Ye are not like any of the (other) women: if ye do fear (Allah), be not too complacent of speech, lest one in whose heart is a disease should be moved with desire: but speak ye a speech (that is) just.

Secondly, the hypocrites used to tease the believing women and if asked they used to say that we didn't recognise these women. In verse 33:59 it is written as :

033.059 O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

So at that time these verses were revealed in which it is clearly stated "and not molested" and its obvious that the reason of this act is to be recognized and saved from being harm and it is not requirement of modesty

Sir, I have tried to summarise my answer because I think its very difficult to write complete details here, still its quite lengthy. If there is any question left I will try to eloborate, if asked :)

Regards
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, September 6, 2004  -  3:42 PM Reply with quote
What would you say if someone explains that 'and not molested' describes another objective of Hijab directives. I mean the first objective being purification as mentioned in the Surah Noor and second objective is that Muslim women should appear in such a manner as to eradicate the possibility of being molested or teased?
atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, September 7, 2004  -  10:49 AM Reply with quote
In my opinion we have to consider following 2 things before deciding about the Hijab Directive:

1. Face Covering does not eradicate the possibility of being molested.

2. The next 2 verses shows clearly that there was some extraordinary circumstances at that time for which these orders were revealed. The verses 33:60 and 61 states:

033.060 Truly, if the Hypocrites, and those in whose hearts is a disease, and those who stir up sedition in the City, desist not, We shall certainly stir thee up against them: Then will they not be able to stay in it as thy neighbours for any length of time:

033.061 They shall have a curse on them: whenever they are found, they shall be seized and slain (without mercy).

Its obvious from the above 2 verses that the situation at that time was not normal and it was so tense that the penalty for those hypocrites was to kill them without any mercy.

Do you think that now a days even if anybody teases some women like if someone say something bad to a women at some bus stop or at some market, the Penalty for that is to kill without any mercy ?

I hope I am able to clearly convey me message.

Regards

Edited by: atifrafi on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 10:53 AM
Faiza Arif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, September 8, 2004  -  10:13 AM Reply with quote
Assalaam-u-Alaikum,
Brother, i am new here. This is the first time i have ever taken up any course. my query is regarding
pardah "hijaab" I have read Sister Saadia Malik answer regarding ‘giving up of veil for social reasons. I have few, infact series of questions to have a clear view of what Islam says about it. My first question is about covering of the face. As per sister’s answer, I gathered that covering of face is not obligatory. I just want to know that whether it is allowed to feep the face uncovered in front of women and men all (mehram & Na mehram) or only with mehram and with the rest a woman needs to cover the face. Another question is about one’s house servants like cook, or driver or any other male servant. Does a woman need to cover her face in front of them or not? Kindly guide me in this matter. Regards.
atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, September 8, 2004  -  11:13 AM Reply with quote
Asssalam o Alaikum

Sister Faiza, your main question is regarding covering of face in front of mehram and Na mehrams.

There are 2 different school of thoughts regarding this issue but both of them agrees that in front of Mehrums it is not obligatory to cover the face. Atleast this is what I know.

Now the difference is about covering the face in front of Na Mehrums. One school of thoght says that To Cover a face is not obnligatory while the second one says that it is obligatory.

About the point that it is not obligatory we have discussed it earlier in this forum and you can read that. In my opinion it is not obligatory to cover your face in front of Na Mehrums. Your other questions about male servants is also covered in this answer.

If someone believes that women should cover their face then they might be able to clear their point in a better way.

According to my limited knowledge it is not obligatory to cover your face in front of Mehrums or Na Mehrums.

I hope this helps.
Faiza Arif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, September 8, 2004  -  11:47 AM Reply with quote
Assalaam-u-Alaikum,
Thank you brother, it's very kind of you to answer me. Even i think that covering of face is not obligatory, but i have seen many women & men who are adamant about the other view. Anywayz its not my concern what others think, my only concern is what Allah wants me to do. If keeping the face uncovered is not against our religion then i will not cover. My 2nd question is regarding covering of head i.e hair. It is said that covering of hair should be strictly followed, it means that not a single strand of hair of a woman should be seen by any man again mehrum or na mehrum. My question is that covering of head loosely, like drawing a doppatta over the head is good enough or again we need to hide hair in a scarf or like so as no one sees even a single strand of our hair. Waiting for your reply.
Regards
atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, September 8, 2004  -  3:07 PM Reply with quote
Assalam o Alaikum,

First of all I would like to clarify one very important thing that I am not even close to be a scholor rather i am a very new student so you should confirm all what I say from some scholor as well. May be the moderator can help us in this regard.

About the head covering, again in my opinion I can't find any specific directive from the Holy Qura'n. May be there are some directives in the Ahadith about it. What I know is all scholors except Mr. Javed Ghamidi agrees that to cover head is obligatory so I think there must be some solid reason behind it. May be I am wrong because I am not sure about it.

I hope that someone will clarify it in a better way. I can just say that I don't think that its obligatory to cover head so strictly that not a single strand of hair of a woman could be seen by any man.

Edited by: atifrafi on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 3:09 PM
Faiza Arif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, September 8, 2004  -  7:56 PM Reply with quote
Assalaam-u-Alaikum, Thank you brother. I dont know how to contact the Moderator. I just post my query here and its only you who read & answer it. Anyways if the moderator reads my messages, its my humble request that he answers them all with the relevant quotes from Quran and Ahadiths where necessary.
Regards

Edited by: Faiza Arif on Thursday, September 09, 2004 8:26 AM
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, September 9, 2004  -  11:29 AM Reply with quote

Actually, the answer to most of your questions is given in the Modules of this course. I hope you will go through the Modules and see what point of view is asserted on the basis of the Holy Qur'an and the Sunnah.

I will however briefly answer your question.

About covering the face

We need to appreciate that Allah has exempted face, hands and feet in case of women, that is to say, they have been allowed to keep open these parts of their body anyhow.

While commanding the women to conceal their Zeenat (ornaments), Allah has allowed them that they may reveal their Zeenat which is worn on body parts that are normally revealed. In other words, women are commanded to cover their ornamnets except for that which are worn on body parts that are naturally kept uncovered. Obviously, what is normally and naturally kept uncovered is hands, feet and face. Therefore, Muslim ladies are allowed to keep their face uncovered. I quote the words of the Qur'an:

And tell the believing women to restrain their eyes and to guard their private parts and not to display their ornaments save those [which are worn on limbs and] which are normally revealed and to draw their coverings over their bosoms. (Surah Noor, 24:31)

About head covering, I would like to tell you that the Holy Qur'an has not said anything.

StudyingIslamUK

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, September 9, 2004  -  12:49 PM Reply with quote
assalamualaykum wrt

personally i started covering head after i went for umrah and when i spoke to the arab ladies there they explained that because a woman's hair adds to her beauty enormously, therefore its reasonable to cover them as a norm of modesty whether it is ordered by Qura'n or the prophet sws or not. its rather a part of common sense however we do understand that it is not something which if not practiced would make you liable for punishment may Allah guide us to the way of His Paradise amen

Najeeba

Berks studying Islam circle UK

Edited by: studyingislamUk on Thursday, September 09, 2004 12:50 PM

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker