1 2 3
Next page >>
Page 2 of 3

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 26, 2004  -  6:04 PM Reply with quote

All we have are some traditions. These traditions mention that the Prophet (sws) asked the Muslims to allow their beard grow and trim the moustache. Considering such reports in their proper perspective, it becomes certain that these sayings of the Prophet (pbuh) was to condemn a practice of the Majoosi and the Mushrikin ; they would trim their beard and allow their moustache grow. The Prophet (sws) remarked that what should be allowed to grow is beard and what should be trimmed is moustache. He in fact used the words ‘do this against the practice of Majoosi and at some other occasions, Mushrikin (Muslim, No: 382, 383 ). Viewed in this perspective, the intent of the Prophet (sws) was not to treat beard as a religious practice (Sunnah) but to eradicate a wrong approach toward beard and moustache.

If we take these traditions literally, how we will be interpreting the words: “Do the opposite of polytheists”. Polytheists, who are considered so, no longer keep moustache either. Should we now do the opposite and let it grow? And if at some place, polytheists are found to keep beard, should we then do the opposite?

try2b

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, May 18, 2004  -  6:47 AM Reply with quote
it was interesting to read the views above. and i wanted to quote the very thing that
ummtalha has quoted. in the days when Islam was emerging as a new religion, the pagans presumably grew mustache and beard. and Muslims are recommended to put a decent appearance in which the copying of the pagans and non-believers is discouraged.
TextTextText
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, May 18, 2004  -  10:16 AM Reply with quote
quote:

it was interesting to read the views above. and i wanted to quote the very thing that
ummtalha has quoted. in the days when Islam was emerging as a new religion, the pagans presumably grew mustache and beard.

Do you mean to say that polytheists used to grow beard as well as moustache? But it contradicts the Ahaadith in consideration, where the Holy Prophet (pbuh) has said to do opposite of what the polytheists do by growing beard instead of moustache.
try2b

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, May 19, 2004  -  7:04 AM Reply with quote
sorry, my mistake. i had not read your reply, which is more enlightening. i replied only to the first page where i thought the last entry was of ummtalha's. i apologize for being careless. well, i wrote that:

' the pagans presumably grew mustache and beard.'
so i was only presuming, which is dangerous. may Allah forgive mefor that. and as to how Muslims should react to the changing trends in the nonbelievers appearance, well, i think (my personal opinion again) that the best way is to act on the Prophet (SAWS) hadith and wear beards without mustache; while keeping a modest appearance overall. the character of a Muslim should exude the qualities of a mo'min as described by Allah and the Prophet (SAWS). and since it was a Sunnah to wear a beard, Allah will reward one who does wear one because of his intention of following Sunnah.
once again, i apologize for my mistake.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, May 19, 2004  -  8:43 AM Reply with quote

Hmm. That is perfectly okay. I just wanted to know what exactly your viewpoint is.

You write:

i think (my personal opinion again) that the best way is to act on the Prophet (SAWS) hadith and wear beards without mustache; while keeping a modest appearance overall.

In the referred to Ahadith, the Holy Prophet (pbuh) has asked to trim the moustache and not to shave if off. Would you mind telling me why you just said that one should wear beard without moustache.

since it was a Sunnah to wear a beard, Allah will reward one who does wear one because of his intention of following Sunnah.

How do you think it is Sunnah? Do you know scholars differ on this? I would like to know your stance and argument on this.

try2b

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, May 20, 2004  -  12:47 AM Reply with quote
oops. i feel like a complete ignoramus :(
which i am. and that is why i am trying to find out more about Islam. Sir, with due respect, i in turn ask you what exactly do scholars dispute about over the beard being a Sunnah?
mmm, alright, let me rephrase my sentence: wearing a beard was the 'practice' of the Prophet (SAWS), and whosoever wears it because of his love for Allah and the Prophet (SAWS), then InshaAllah he will be rewarded.
please enlighten me more about this. JazakAllah.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, May 22, 2004  -  6:08 PM Reply with quote

Counter Question!

Scholars who do not accept that beard is a Sunnah contend that this was not instituted by the Holy Prophet (pbuh) among his Companions as Sunnah. For every Sunnah, these Companions have played the most curcial role since they acted upon them and also transmitted them to the next generation with the understanding that these were instituted by the Holy Prophet (pbuh). These Sunnan reached us through the chain of generation after generation with each generation adhering to them and transferring them to the next one. As we now take a look at these Sunnan, we find that these are common among all the Muslims; there is no difference of opinion among the Muslims regarding the corpus of Sunnah. For instance, Salah, Hajj, Nikah, Adan, etc.

'Why the Ummah does not have consensus on the beard as being Sunnah' is the first question. How do we then substantiate that the beard was instituted as a religious practice when there is no common understanding on this?

If a person loves the Holy Prophet (pbuh) and does what he did in his personal capacity will surely be rewarded for this love.

try2b

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, June 5, 2004  -  10:46 AM Reply with quote
thank you
abdullah099

USA
Posted - Monday, August 9, 2004  -  7:46 PM Reply with quote
In this case I will refer to Surah 4 of the quran

118. Allah did curse him, but he said: "I will take of Thy servants a portion Marked off;

119. "I will mislead them, and I will create in them false desires; I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and to deface the (fair) nature created by Allah." Whoever, forsaking Allah, takes satan for a friend, hath of a surety suffered a loss that is manifest.

Iblis vowed to ruin the fair nature of man. You can see that he has succeeded with the unbelievers. Tatoos, piercings, shaving part of the head and leaving hair on the other, shaving of the beard, these are all things that appear beautiful the unbelievers but are infact ruining our beauty. On the day of Judgement it will be easy to spot the followers of Satan because they will be marked off. So I would say that having a beard is obligatory upon males. It's something which naturally grows, and it's part of what makes us males. Without it we will be similar to females.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, August 12, 2004  -  1:26 PM Reply with quote

I do not understand what is your real argument. If you mean to say that, by the virtue of the verse quoted above, it is wrong to abolish everything that grows naturally, I'd give you many examples, where Islam itself has enjoined to remove that which naturally grows, for instance, shaving the head during haj, cutting the nails and shaving the pubic hair that naturally grows etc. This means that to shave 'what grows naturally' does not fall under that verse. Does it?

If your argument is that beard is a natural distinction between the appearance of male and female, I'd say I agree to this. But how this makes it (Wajib) obligatory in the religious sense of the word.

abdullah099

USA
Posted - Thursday, August 12, 2004  -  6:09 PM Reply with quote
No, you misunderstood me. The reason for me using those two verses is because I'm trying to make the point that on the day of judgement Satan will have a portion of people marked off. Those are his followers on earth, and he caused them to distort their appearance to a great extent. I know that it is a sunnah to shave pubic hair and cutting nails. But the beard is something which men have always been growing since the time of Adam, peace be upon him. It wasn't until the past century or so that men have started shaving their beards in large groups. The west started it and now a lot of men from other countries are emulating them. So this is clearly something which Satan brought about because during the time of the prophet Muhammad s.a.w. men didn't even think about shaving their beards. To them it was like cutting off your arm.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, August 13, 2004  -  6:48 AM Reply with quote

Hmm. I understand.

Even if I accept that shaving the beard is a satanic practice which the west iniatiated, I do not see why it should be obligatory, if you speak the word in the religious sense as we speak Wajib or FARZ?

How can we, without sanction of the Holy Prophet (pbuh), include the beard in the religious obligations of the Muslims? If you bring some Ahaadith, I'd suggest you to go through the above discussion as we have talked about them already.

It is natural for men to keep beard, I agree. When you say it is an obligation, I will ask arguments from you.

atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, August 30, 2004  -  5:57 PM Reply with quote
Respected Sir Jhangeer,

Sir you have mentioned in one of your earlier responses that Prophet (peace be upon him) has done many things which aren't regarded as Sunnah. Sir Just to convince one of my friends about it I need your help :

1. Please refere some acts of the Prophet (sws) which are not regarded as Sunnah. One which I know is the Tahajjud Prayer. Please mention some others.

2. Do all the Prophets kept beard. If not, then please name the prophets who had beard and specially if it is proven about any prophet that He didn't has beard.

I'll be very obliged if you reply as soon as possible. May be in a day or two :)

Best Regards
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, August 31, 2004  -  9:27 AM Reply with quote

Obviously, the Holy Prophet (sws) has married more than four wives, the limit otherwise ordained for the common Muslims. His example is not to be followed in this case.

Similarly, using the sword as a means to combat the enemy is not a Sunnah though the Holy Prophet (sws) armed himself with a sword in battles and his Companions fought with sword.

All aspects of his life, which he adopted because he lived in a specific age, are obviously not a Sunnah for his people, like riding a camel or wearing certain type of clothes or eating certain kind of food etc.

Tahajjud was obligatory for the Holy Prophet (sws); it is not for us.

I do not have enough information regarding antiquity to say whether all Prophets had or had not a beard. It is very likely that they had beard since it is so natural for men to keep it. What seems natural is honored by the Prophets. Moreover, beard is not specific to the Muslims or Prophets alone. Christians and Jews also kept beard and polytheists did too. Actually, the modern era has caused men to try to resemble feminine beauty in certain respects, and women to try to resemble male Wajahat in certain respects.

atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, August 31, 2004  -  1:08 PM Reply with quote
Respected Sir,

Thanks a lot for a prompt reply. Sir I wanted to ask another thing which Actually is not related to this topic. I hope you won't mind that or guide me if I should use some other way.

The Tahajjud prayer, it was obligatory for the Prophet(sws) and any other Sunnah of Prophet was not obligatory even for the Prophet. Shouldn't we muslims consider the Tahajjud Prayer more important than other Sunnah. If yes, then why our many scholors emphasize more on other Sunnah and things even which are not Sunnah Like keeping beard or keeping trousers above ankles.

I think that Tahajjud Prayer is much more important than these things on which our Ulema Karaam emphasize more.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, May 25, 2005  -  8:22 PM Reply with quote
QUOTE: Shouldn't we muslims consider the Tahajjud Prayer more important than other Sunnah. If yes, then why our many scholors emphasize more on other Sunnah and things even which are not Sunnah Like keeping beard or keeping trousers above ankles.

GOD SAYS:

And during a part of the night, pray Tahajjud beyond what is incumbent on you; maybe your Lord will raise you to a position of great glory (17: 79).

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

<< Previous Page
1 2 3
Next page >>
Page 2 of 3

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker