Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
gohar

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Thursday, November 13, 2003  -  10:29 PM Reply with quote
Aithekaaf

-wat is the actual and practical way of "aithikaaf".
-wat shld b in mind to sit for aithkaaf?
is it strictly for prayers/ibaadha/ritulas or is it shld b seclution for personal purification?
-can u do it for less than 10 days?
-can u do it other than mosque like in ur home or flat, where u have to quit "bajamaath" tharaweeh? or is it possible u can go to mosque while u perform aithekaaf at ur home?
do one have, have to keep it in mind that , one is going to c "shab-e-qadar".
-bcoz i know the importance of laylat-il-qadar , but i m really unaware of its physicalaity.
-can u just do it for the reason of seclution n learning in a month which is mubarak?
Razi Allah

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, November 14, 2003  -  3:09 PM Reply with quote
Aitikaaf implies restricting yourself to a particular place for a certain period of time.

The period may vary from a few hours to ten or more days.

The purpose of Aitikaaf is to be sequestered from the worldly routine of your life and spend some time in the remembrance and worship of Allah.

The most important rule during Aitikaaf is to strictly remain limited to the place of Aitikaaf and not to get out of that place, except in case of a pressing requirement.

In view of the objective, the most appropriate place for Aitikaaf is the mosque. The Quran has referred to the practice in the following words: "While you are in the mosques in a state of ai`tikaaf". which points to the fact that mosque is really the prescribed place for it.

A natural outcome of remembrance, prayers and reading and pondering over the Quran is personal purification, while ipso facto, it will also be a means of learning and enhancing our knowledge of Islam.

Quoting part of a long Hadith, the Prophet (sws) is reported to have said: Look for it in the last ten days, and look for it on the odd days
Quite obviously, you'll be on the look out for Laylat al-Qadr.
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, November 14, 2003  -  9:44 PM Reply with quote
Assalaamu Alaikum.

I have a query regarding Aitikaaf as well. It is generally recommended that women offer this ibaadat within their homes. Is there any source for such claims? Or is it just intuitional - i.e. suiting women's nature, in general?

Allah Hafiz.

Saadia
Razi Allah

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, November 15, 2003  -  11:01 AM Reply with quote
The verse i mentioned -- "While you are in the mosques in a state of ai`tikaaf." -- does not make any gender distinction in this regard. Therefore, for women also, the preferable place for Aitikaaf is the mosque.

In view of the general lack of adequate facilities for women to perform aitikaaf in mosques, they may not have the luxury to choose, restricintg themselves to their homes. If, however, you can find a mosque where people are more alive to the needs of women, it would be preferable to complete your Aitikaaf there.

If you intend to perform it, may the Almighty shower the blessings of these days on you.

Wassalam

Edited by - Razi Allah on November 16 2003 14:17:05
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, November 15, 2003  -  3:19 PM Reply with quote
Thank you for the clarification. Jazakallahu Khairan

Just one more thing (although I am afraid that yet again, I am delving deep into 'what people say'). Ahadith point towards the permissibility of women offering regular prayers in the mosque: permissibility, and not what may be called highly recommended or obligatory, as for men.

So, should one suggest that women observe Aitikaaf in the mosque, given proper facilities, one may also very well recommend that they offer everyday prayers in the mosque as well.

My understanding on the issue might well be in want of guidance, and/or of course, I may not have fully understood your stance. If possible, please do let me know what you understand of the issue...{this goes out to the respected moderators as well as everyone else}.

Many thanks.

Wasalaam.

Saadia
Razi Allah

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, November 16, 2003  -  2:45 PM Reply with quote
As you have rightly pointed out that congregational prayers are highly recommended for men while women are allowed to attend daily prayers in the mosque. Although the Prophet (sws) encouraged Muslim women to offer their obligatory prayers with the congregation, this directive was not as strong for them as it was for men.

It would be nice if an arrangement is made for women to participate in prayers at their local mosques. Praying in the mosque is a beautiful feeling, at times incomparably more self-fulfilling than individual prayers. There might be areas where, or circumstances when going to the mosque would be unfeasible for women in which case they should pray at their homes.

I feel that it really is a cultural thing at times given a religious tinge to keep women away from the supposedly elevated realm of men. In North America, for instance, the practice of women attending mosques is much more prevalent than in let's say South Asia where it is by and large nonexistent.
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, November 16, 2003  -  10:00 PM Reply with quote
Cultural "construct" or not, brother, it still doesn't answer why men are obligated to visit mosques for prayers, and women aren't.

I'm sorry. I stand confused as ever on the issue.

Wasalaam.
Ronnie

USA
Posted - Monday, November 17, 2003  -  4:33 AM Reply with quote
Salam All,

If we all lived in the perfect world then we'd have not much to worry about. But the fact is as men and women we have differing lives with different responsibilities. Therefore, in some instances there are different religious obligations when it comes to the sex of the person. Now this may sound unfair but if we really think about it we can see this is a religion dealing with reality not a perfect world. Afterall, women getting pregnant and dealing with the blessing she carries in her womb may seem quite unfair to many for different reasons. Hence, each individual has a relationship with the Almighty based on how far they want to take it. The difference is that Islam gives certain accomodations because of the "realistic" conditions that we live in. Seeing that Islam is based on real-life situations may help in understanding the answer to your question.

Regards

Edited by - ronnie on November 17 2003 04:36:07
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, November 17, 2003  -  10:51 AM Reply with quote
Exactly. I must clarify. I was not repelling against the "fact" that women are actually not obligated as men are, in this case; rather, I was expressing my lack of decision on the issue - although I seem to be tilting towards the understanding that if women can visit markets, they must be allowed in mosques. No question about that. But that when they are inside houses, they would do well to offer their prayers therein. Of course, this is open to criticism.

...and apologies for my weakness of expression.

Wasalaam.

Saadia
Ronnie

USA
Posted - Monday, November 17, 2003  -  11:30 AM Reply with quote
Salam,

I think if you have the opportunity to spend the time in a Mosque, I see no reason not to attend. This may be especially wise if the condtions of your home will not be conducive to A'itikaf.

Wassalam

P.S. I hope I don't sound harsh when I write to you. For some reason I think that I do and I really mean to write in the most gentle and kind way as possible, especially to such wonderful people such as yourself.
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, November 17, 2003  -  9:17 PM Reply with quote
Assalaamu Alaikum.

Not at all. There is no reason why you should feel bad or negative about your postings. If anything, I was a bit embarassed to read what the postscript of your message had to say.

I have good reason to recognise you; but how do you know me, if I may ask. Should you choose to respond on this end, I would recommend you to send me a simple email, since it would be wrong to unnecessarily ask people to tolerate correspondence beyond the realms of this forum.

Allah Hafiz.

Saadia
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, November 18, 2003  -  2:48 AM Reply with quote
Once more, Assalaamu Alaikum.

This thread still hasn't seen the last of it. No sir!

I would really, really appreciate if my friends here could recommend all the different activites that one can indulge in during Aitekaaf. Also, is sleep supposed to be reduced to the minimum?

Looking forward...

Allah Hafiz.

Saadia
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 20, 2003  -  12:01 PM Reply with quote
In my personal opinion, one should not reduce the sleep below the normal level one observes. People often forward this suggestion. But I feel it is wrong. This is what has been substantiated by experience. Suppose you have not taken the normal sleep, then you stand before Allah and utter praises; would you be able to concertrate on what is being said?

There are only two supreme activities that I would receommend. The first is to study the Holy Qur'an. You better get hold of a Tafseer to help you understand the purport. In this case too, you need to ponder on the meaning of the Holy Qur'an, which you cannot do if you have not taken normal sleep.

The other activity that I like is to offer the supererogatory prayers while extending each component of the prayer: Long Qiyam, long Ruku and long Sajda. If your words have an influence on your mind, it should also bring tears to your eyes--the point where words cannot express your gratitude and warm drops trickle down your cheekds to exhibit the pinnalce of your humbleness.

These activities are not confined to Aithekaaf. As those who are to read this thread cannot possibly be observing Aitekhaaf, they should do the same in the remaining fasts left. The end is due to come. Alas! Lets roll up over sleeves now, get to real work now putting our time to good use!!
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, October 15, 2006  -  9:33 AM Reply with quote
For revising the topic.
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Sunday, October 15, 2006  -  11:19 AM Reply with quote
I’tikaf is the Arabic name of the Sunnah practice of spending a few days in a mosque in the last part of Ramadan, when all time is devoted for worship. The Prophet used to spend the last ten days of Ramadan in such devotion and he recommended this to his companions and followers. This is done by men only, as the Prophet did not ask his wives or daughters or any other women to share in this worship.

This is as far as it goes. It is a Sunnah practice, which we will do well to follow. If someone adds to it an element of obligation, that person is wrong. Therefore, when the imam in your village insists on people to come to the mosque for a few nights, he is stepping beyond what Islam requires. When he says that this is necessary for the protection of the locality, he is adding to this practice what does not belong to it. This is a practice of devotion, which is highly rewarding to those who do it, but it does not mean that if people do not do it, then a calamity might befall them. This is not the way Islam treats any situation.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, October 15, 2006  -  4:43 PM Reply with quote
QUOTE of Mr. Jhangeer Hanif: - In my personal opinion, one should not reduce the sleep below the normal level one observes. People often forward this suggestion. But I feel it is wrong.

No doubt good sleep is essential for good health but in this Holy month of Ramzan if for a specified time we are not eating and drinking, which is essential for our body (like sleep), what is wrong if few hours of sleep are sacrificed (like eating and drinking).

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker