Next page >>
Page 1 of 3

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Friday, October 27, 2006  -  8:56 PM Reply with quote
woman leading a jammat prayer

What are your views about a namaz ba jammat at home and the lady of the house being the leader in piety leading the prayers. Would anyone have objections
Qamar058

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, December 16, 2006  -  4:27 PM Reply with quote
Ya Maryam-u-qnuti wa sjudi wa rkai ma'a rakaeen
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, December 16, 2006  -  5:59 PM Reply with quote
I am sorry I could not understand your reply, could you please elaborate.Many thanks
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, December 18, 2006  -  11:53 PM Reply with quote
i see no problem in that except hurting the man's ego for sure (most of them, not all)
palestina

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, March 1, 2007  -  11:42 PM Reply with quote
what about leading the prayers in a mosque?
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, March 2, 2007  -  5:40 AM Reply with quote
It is Makrooh Tahrimi (serevely reprehensible) for a woman to lead the Salaat for a group of females. This is stated clearly in the books of Fiqh (see Tabyeenul Haqaaiq vol. 1 p. 13; Darrul Mukhtaar vol. 1 p. 528)

The reason for this severe Karaahat (reprehensibility) is the following Hadith:

It is related from Hadhrat Áaisha (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, 'There is no good in women performing Salaat with Jamaat except in a Masjid where the Salaat of the males is performed with Jamaat.'

It is reported from Áli (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) that he said, 'A woman must not lead the Salaat.' Hence, it is incorrect for a woman to lead the Salaat and for other females to follow. We find that this practice was not encouraged
(that women make their own Jamaat) from the time of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam). If an incident or two can be found where this occurred, it was an absolutely rare case which cannot be used to justify the procedure of a woman leading the Salaat. We also cannot find any mention of this practice taking place in the time of the Khulafaa-e-Rashideen. Instead, Hadhrat Áli
(Radhiallaahu Ánhu) clearly forbade women from leading the Salaat.

Therefore, the Hanafi (jurists) have, on the basis of the above mentioned Ahaadith, stated quite clearly that this practice is Makrooh-e-Tahrimi.Salaat is a means of earning the Mercy and blessings of Allah Taãla. These two aspects therefore cannot be reconciled. Hence, women should totally desist from it. They should perform their Salaat individually in as much privacy as possible, in the light of what has been mentioned in various
Ahaadith.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
FATWA DEPT.
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, March 2, 2007  -  6:42 AM Reply with quote
well here is a Q& A Related to this Topic present on this Site:
http://www.studying-islam.org/querytext.aspx?id=294

Woman leading the Mixed Prayer
Question asked by Adnan Zulfiqar.
Posted on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - Hits: 846
Question:
What is Ghamidi’s opinion on the recent case where a woman led a mixed gendered ‘Jummah’ prayer in New York?
Answer:
According to Ghamidiطs opinion, we do not find any prohibition for this in the Qur’an and the Sunnah. Therefore, it would be incorrect to say that Islam has disallowed women from leading the mixed prayer. However, this practice is against Muslim tradition and custom, which itself is based on a value structure. True, all traditions are not sacred and it is not always necessary to follow them, but there must be some genuine need to break them. Mere feminism, according to Ghamidi, should not be the basis of breaking this custom.

Regards,

Tariq Mahmood Hashmi
Research Assistant, Studying Islam

Counter Questions
Women and Congregational prayer
Woman Imam in Prayer
Prayer in the Inner Compartments
How can Mixed Prayers be allowed?
A Very Big Misconcpetion
Mixed gendered ‘Jumu'ah’ Prayer
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, March 2, 2007  -  11:24 AM Reply with quote
Welcome to Studying Islam and the forums Palestina
its strange the same Q was posed to me(women leading a mixed congregational prayer in a masjid) last night in a local mosque meeting where a delegation of christians from various sectors was visiting us and watched the prayers too.

i'm pleased that i replied along the same lines that ibrahim has mentioned, 'cause i feel its most close to logic
palestina

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, March 2, 2007  -  7:32 PM Reply with quote
peace all,

thanks for the welcome hkhan...

i also find myself agreeing with what bro ibrahim posted - i do not see any evidence to convince me that it is not allowed for a woman to lead in prayer.
However, i also feel that now is a good time in our history to have a revival - reeducate our women and bring us to the forefront of our religion! For too long women have sat on the bench. Some traditions should be broken - i feel this is one of them - it will force us all to reevaluate what Islam teaches us about men and women - and bring women back as teachers and scholars as they were in our "golden age"
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Friday, March 2, 2007  -  10:53 PM Reply with quote
http://www.muslimwakeup.com/main/archives/2005/03/women_imamat.php
palestina

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, March 3, 2007  -  1:07 AM Reply with quote
wow thank you junaidj! that was an excellent article!! i thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

peace
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, March 3, 2007  -  3:49 AM Reply with quote
Is ok for you people to give preference to yours own reasons and undersatnding over sayings of Prophet(pbuh) and sayings of Hazrat Ali(RA)?
oosman

USA
Posted - Monday, March 5, 2007  -  11:01 PM Reply with quote
dear usmani790,

Any one can bring any hadith and story to bolster their claims. What proof do you have that the Prophet and his cousin Ali actually said and did what you claim they said and did? If you are an authority on isnads then you can tell us about the character of each person in the chain of hadith and how reliable the chain is. It is foolish to believe in every hadith at face value, if one does not understand the science behind hadith, then one should be careful. Same goes for the other side of the discussion - people who use hadith to support women leading prayers. There are some hadith supporting this in junaids link above. But for a layman, it is not wise to accept hadith just because someone said it is from the prophet.
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Tuesday, March 6, 2007  -  12:08 AM Reply with quote
quote:

Any one can bring any hadith and story to bolster their claims.

I am no expert in the Hadith sciences, though will say that the Hadith in the link has been deemed accurate by Ghamidi, Dr. Hamidullah, and ofcourse medieval authorities like Abu Thawr and At Tabari.
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, March 6, 2007  -  7:28 AM Reply with quote
Dear Oosman

Rasulullah sallallahu alaihi wasallam said: "A nation that has entrusted its affairs to a woman can never be successful."(Bukhari vl.5, pg.136, Bukhari vl. 4 Page 97, Nisai vl. 8 Page 227, Tirmidhi vl. 5 Page 457)

There is an authentic saying of Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) whereby he clearly instructs: “establish prayers the way you have seen me.” And it is abundantly clear that throughout his life time neither did he, nor his companions pray behind a woman in private or public.

Even after the life of Prophet Mohammed PBUH, all the seven jurists of Madina, the four schools of thought and all the successive generations followed the same rule. According to a saying of Prophet Mohammed PBUH, reported by Imam Muslim: “the best rows for men are the first and the worst are the last. The best rows for women are the last and the worst the first.” So when the first row is the worst for a woman, imagine her standing before and leading all rows in prayers.
usmani790

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, March 6, 2007  -  7:38 AM Reply with quote
A Woman's Reflection on Leading Prayer
by Yasmin Mogahed
(Friday 25 March 2005)

On March 18, 2005 Amina Wadud led the first female-led Jumuah (Friday) prayer. On that day women took a huge step towards being more like men. But, did we come closer to actualizing our God-given liberation?

I don’t think so.

What we so often forget is that God has honored the woman by giving her value in relation to God—not in relation to men. But as western feminism erases God from the scene, there is no standard left—but men. As a result the western feminist is forced to find her value in relation to a man. And in so doing she has accepted a faulty assumption. She has accepted that man is the standard, and thus a woman can never be a full human being until she becomes just like a man—the standard.

When a man cut his hair short, she wanted to cut her hair short. When a man joined the army, she wanted to join the army. She wanted these things for no other reason than because the “standard” had it.

What she didn’t recognize was that God dignifies both men and women in their distinctiveness--not their sameness. And on March 18, Muslim women made the very same mistake.

For 1400 years there has been a consensus of the scholars that men are to lead prayer. As a Muslim woman, why does this matter? The one who leads prayer is not spiritually superior in any way. Something is not better just because a man does it. And leading prayer is not better, just because it’s leading. Had it been the role of women or had it been more divine, why wouldn’t the Prophet have asked Ayesha or Khadija, or Fatima—the greatest women of all time—to lead? These women were promised heaven—and yet they never lead prayer.

But now for the first time in 1400 years, we look at a man leading prayer and we think, “That’s not fair.” We think so although God has given no special privilege to the one who leads. The imam is no higher in the eyes of God than the one who prays behind.

On the other hand, only a woman can be a mother. And God has given special privilege to a mother. The Prophet taught us that heaven lies at the feet of mothers. But no matter what a man does he can never be a mother. So why is that not unfair?

When asked who is most deserving of our kind treatment? The Prophet replied ‘your mother’ three times before saying ‘your father’ only once. Isn’t that sexist? No matter what a man does he will never be able to have the status of a mother.

And yet even when God honors us with something uniquely feminine, we are too busy trying to find our worth in reference to men, to value it—or even notice. We too have accepted men as the standard; so anything uniquely feminine is, by definition, inferior. Being sensitive is an insult, becoming a mother—a degradation. In the battle between stoic rationality (considered masculine) and self-less compassion (considered feminine), rationality reigns supreme.

Continue........

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2 3
Next page >>
Page 1 of 3

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker