Page 1 of 3

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
nads786

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Saturday, January 7, 2006  -  9:50 PM Reply with quote
7 Conditions For a Woman's Dress

A Hijab is a word that indicated the following conditions :

1. Clothing must cover the entire body, only the hands and face may remain visible (According to some Fiqh Schools) .

2. The material must not be so thin that one can see through it.

3. The clothing must hang loose so that the shape / form of the body is not apparent.

4. The female clothing must not resemble the man's clothing.

5. The design of the clothing must not resemble the clothing of the non believing women.

6. The design must not consist of bold designs which attract attention.

7. Clothing should not be worn for the sole purpose of gaining reputation or increasing one's status in society.

The reason for this strictness is so that the woman is protected from the lustful gaze of men. She should not attract attention to herself in any way. It is permissible for a man to catch the eye of a woman , however it is haram (unlawful) for a man to look twice as this encourages lustful thoughts.

Islam protects the woman, it is for this reason that Allah gave these laws. In today's society womankind is being exploited, female sexuality is being openly used in advertising, mainly to attract the desires of men and therefore sell the product. Is the woman really free in today's society ? The answer is obviously no, the constant bombardment by the media as to how the ideal woman should look and dress testifies to this.

Islam liberated woman over 1400 years ago. Is it better to dress according to man or God ?

Allah has stated in the Quran that women must guard their modesty.

" Say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty ; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof. " [Quran : 24.31]

" Say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty ; that will make for greater purity for them, and God is well aquatinted with all they do. " [Quran : 24.30]

" And O ye believers turn ye all together toward God, so that ye may attain bliss. " [Quran : 24.31]

hope it helps all
oosman

USA
Posted - Friday, January 13, 2006  -  7:45 PM Reply with quote
It seems from all this that Islam punishes the woman for man's bad behavior! How can this be Islamic? Allah is fair and just. Do you really think Allah wants to punish women because men will be bad?
nads786

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, January 13, 2006  -  8:07 PM Reply with quote
mm when you say punishes the woman do you mean by the islamic dressing. the way i see it islam guards a woman from danger eg the chance should not be there for a woman to lose her self respect maybe thats why one of the reasons rape among muslim hijabis is less than other religions or maybe not it could be just a coincidence but when you ask how can this be islamic when a gem falls in mud when washed and uncovered it still remains valuable this is the way in which islam tries to impreach that the inside of a womans heart should be the real concentrated beauty not her looks, figure or anything else.

and you point on allah punishing women because th behaviour of men is bad do you really think that all men behave bad ! mmm to that i would say that its not about punishing the woman its about her securing herself a place in society not just because of her looks and galore but for her intellect and personality maybe for a woman the appearance in society is judged upon far more quicker than her inner self

lol i really do hope you understand that i have a weird kind of way of putting things

anyways take care
sobi_05

USA
Posted - Friday, January 13, 2006  -  11:15 PM Reply with quote
Will you please state the source of these 7 conditions? Especially the one which says that dress of a believing woman should not resemble that of a non-believing woman? Did you know that non-muslims living in muslim states especially that of Arabs, dress just like muslim woman? They even cover their hair. How could one be sure that non-muslim women have adapted the dress code from muslim women OR muslim women have adapted dress code from non-muslim women especially Jews and Christians?
Infact muslim women have adapted head covering from Jewish and Christian women. Allah knows best.
nads786

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, January 14, 2006  -  12:37 PM Reply with quote
the above article was actually extracted from an islamic site i have checked it but there isnt an authentic source for it but the author is called naseer ahmed i'lll find out for you though and the point about the non-believing womans dress is actually quite metaphorical its suggests that a muslim woman shouldnt dress in a way that decreases her modesty an assumption of which implies that modesty isnt compulsory in every religion (ie non-believing woman) and the adaption of dress codes is quite cultural in refrence to what you have stated above society these days is accepting the hijab as a fashion icon but islamically the hijab has a much more deeper meaning and gaining meaning from english women and muslim women and the hijab will actually be quite rhetorical for you ! hope that helps
oosman

USA
Posted - Sunday, January 15, 2006  -  4:15 PM Reply with quote
I have read these kinds of restrictions on womens dress before. It is all trash. In the Quran Allah's subhana-o-taala simply says:

O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. Quran 33.59

Believing men and women should both dress modestly and fear Allah, and lower their gaze when meeting each other.

Besides this, mullahs have tried to enforce their ideas on the weaker women and tried to control the way they live. Because SOME men are bad, the other gender suffer and have to change their lifestyle due to the actions of such men.

In the society where the prophet lived, women were teased by men, these were the days of jahliyah (ignorance). There were harems where patriarchs would use prostituites (who were their slaves) to make money. These women were flirted with by men of low moral values when they were out. To prevent the wives of the prophet and believing women from being molested Allah asks them to cover with outer garments when they leave, so they are easily distinguished and not confused with those women whom other men will tease and flirt with.

Because of this immoral behavior of men, believing women had to succumb and cover up. If men behaved properly, then women would not have to do do this at all.
Asmaparveen

INDIA
Posted - Wednesday, February 15, 2006  -  12:17 PM Reply with quote
i am a woman and i feel that hijab is the best thing that can happen to a women. hijab makes me feel good, free and i go about doing my work with out bothering about anyone gazing me. i feel free as i work in an enviornment where men work too. as a womam i love it and advise it to others. may allah guid us on the right path.
Text
sahira

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, June 13, 2006  -  1:05 PM Reply with quote
salaam i agree with nads that is what i have read in most authentic hadiths which take quotes directly from the quran then in the new muslimah topic brother ibrahim said QUOTE: "hijab is not a directive of shariah law"

can someone enlighten me on this as i can not look into gender and interaction module as i have chosen my 3 modules, if hijab is not a MUST in shariah law then what is the following text based on:

"And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss. (24:31)"

personally i love wearing the hijaab, it makes me feel secure and confident.
kzshah

USA
Posted - Tuesday, June 13, 2006  -  6:41 PM Reply with quote
Asalaam ul alaikum

This has been topic of conversation in our house off and on for 12 or 13 years. I suppose it all comes down to why you actually wear the hijab. If the purpose is to remain modest and not allow anyone to see your hair, then it would be a must. If the purpose is to identify yourself as a Muslim and let that be known to all without doubt, then again a definite must around here. (I live in California). But that wouldn't be effective in an Islamic state since everyone will be wearing headcovers wether they are Muslims or not. If the purpose is to avoid any undue attention, then I certainly couldn't dream of wearing hijab. I would only be asking for people to come up to me and "check me out" in a place where no one else (modest or immodest, religious or not) is wearing this. Luckily, California is a very easy going place. I wear shelwar kamiz as often as "regular American" clothes and I see sisters at the mall or where ever with traditional kinds of hijab and no one is bothering them or really even taking notice. I have five daughters and we made our own kind of family rule that after 4th grade when they go to middle school they don't use the uniform skirt anymore, just the pants. It is not a big deal and no one would notice one way or another, but it is a conscious personal decision so that we know we are protecting our "modesty". The same way we will not wear makeup or jewelry...these things seem to me much more of a modesty issue than whether or not our hair is covered up. Our actions and speech should be guarded alot more carefully than our dress code (my opinion). Again I guess it really depends on the reason behind the "rule".
iftikharaslam

SAUDI ARABIA
Posted - Sunday, August 6, 2006  -  9:02 PM Reply with quote
THESE PEOPLE WANT 2 CHANGE EACH AND EVERY THING IN ISLAM AND 2 MAKE U SUCH A MUSLIM WHO IS ACCEPTABLE 2 THE WEST. MY DEAR BROTHERS AND SISTERS THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN UNLESS U CHANGE UR RELIGION AND BECOME LIKE THEM. DONT U REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED 2 MUSLIMS OF CHECHNIA, YOGOSLAVIA AND IS HAPPENING 2 PERVEZ MUSHARAF WHO HAS DONE HIS BEST 2 PLEASE THE WEST.PLEEEESE STOP THIS AND B KIND 2 ISLAM.
Nida_e_Khair

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, August 7, 2006  -  6:04 PM Reply with quote
quote:

THESE PEOPLE WANT 2 CHANGE EACH AND EVERY THING IN ISLAM AND 2 MAKE U SUCH A MUSLIM WHO IS ACCEPTABLE 2 THE WEST. MY DEAR BROTHERS AND SISTERS THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN UNLESS U CHANGE UR RELIGION AND BECOME LIKE THEM. DONT U REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED 2 MUSLIMS OF CHECHNIA, YOGOSLAVIA AND IS HAPPENING 2 PERVEZ MUSHARAF WHO HAS DONE HIS BEST 2 PLEASE THE WEST.PLEEEESE STOP THIS AND B KIND 2 ISLAM.

Approved! What shocks me most is the statement of oosman, "It's all trash". When I read this, I was like, "WHAAAAT?" And I agree with Asma. I really think Hijaab is the best thing that can happen to a woman.
jenniferkabir

USA
Posted - Wednesday, August 9, 2006  -  7:56 AM Reply with quote
Wa Salam,

I have to say as an American revert to Islam that learning to guard my modesty freed me from so many things. I grew up being controled by how I looked. If I looked good it was a good day and if I looked bad...I allowed myself to be judged by my outward appearance-it was everything. I felt like if I wasn't turning every eye around me that I didn't qualify. Islam freed me from all of that. Alhomdullilah! Allah (swt) tells us that a thing may be good for us though we know it not. That is so true. Often, what we think is to our benefit only hurts us. Allah knows best.
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Sunday, October 22, 2006  -  11:43 AM Reply with quote
worth to read in this cntext:

The Hijab And I

The word 'Hijab' is relatively new for me. It was not a part of my vocabulary as I was growing up. I learned it much later, when I began to read literary and religious Urdu texts...

C.M. NAIM

click here: http://tinyurl.com/so2qg
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, October 24, 2006  -  6:57 AM Reply with quote
This is my understanding about Hijab. quoted from understanding islam web site.

The Qur'anic verse which mentions the prescribed etiquette of interaction between males and females gives the following directives:

When entering a place of someone's residence, Muslim men and women should first seek permission for entrance. They should enter the house only if they are granted permission.

When sitting in a mixed gathering, both the Muslim men as well as women should not try to lure someone from the opposite sex with their gazes. In other words, they should avoid staring at each other in a suggestive way.

While in a mixed gathering, both the Muslim men and women should wear dresses that adequately cover their private parts. Any dress that is revealing or that may in any way arouse sexual thoughts in the minds of any member of the opposite sex should be avoided.

While in such a gathering, women should avoid displaying their apparels and ornaments that they normally wear. This directive does not apply to those adornments, which are normally visible. On the contrary, this directive enjoins women to avoid intentionally displaying their adornments and apparels.

As a part of directive c and d, women have specifically been ordained to spread their head-coverings over their neck-lines and their chests so that they are adequately covered. Moreover, as a part of these directives, women are also directed to refrain from catching the attention of those present by the sounds of their bangles and similar other ornaments which they may be wearing on their feet.

Keeping the foregoing explanation in perspective, it is clear that the Qur'anic directive does not expressly direct women to cover their heads and faces. One may, however, be of the opinion that even though the Qur'anic directive as explained in point no. e above, does not expressly direct women to cover their heads, yet it clearly implies the covering of the head. Nevertheless, on the other hand, one may be of the opinion that the referred directive of the Qur'an has only directed women to spread a cloth - which may be a part of their head-covers or a separate sheet of cloth - over their neck-lines and chests. Thus, in short, there can be a difference of opinion as to whether or not 'head-covering' for women is a part of the directives of the Shari`ah relating to the etiquettes of interaction between males and females.

In my opinion, even if there can be a difference of opinion as to whether or not head-covering for women is an essential part of the directives of the Shari`ah related to the interaction between males and females, yet no one can challenge the fact that head-covering for women has remained an integral part of the noble social traditions of in each one of the three Abrahamic traditions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Head-covering has traditionally been considered a symbol of nobility and modesty in all of these traditions. In view of this significance of head-covering, I feel more inclined towards recommending for all Muslim women to adhere to this practice.

In contrast to 'head-covering', which in my opinion, is a part of our social customs and traditions, face-covering is neither a directive of the Shari`ah nor a permanent part of the customs and traditions of the Muslim societies.
Nida_e_Khair

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, October 24, 2006  -  12:21 PM Reply with quote
Quote:
In my opinion, even if there can be a difference of opinion as to whether or not head-covering for women is an essential part of the directives of the Shari`ah related to the interaction between males and females, yet no one can challenge the fact that head-covering for women has remained an integral part of the noble social traditions of in each one of the three Abrahamic traditions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Head-covering has traditionally been considered a symbol of nobility and modesty in all of these traditions. In view of this significance of head-covering, I feel more inclined towards recommending for all Muslim women to adhere to this practice.

I totally approve. And as for your statement on face-covering, I agree with that too, but I think it's better for Muslim women to cover their faces since the female Sahaabah (RA) used to do that, and they were the best of the peoples evolved for mankind.
And (by the way,) 'EID MUBARAK!
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Wednesday, October 25, 2006  -  1:13 PM Reply with quote
an another view on veil:

http://www.shaykhabdalqadir.com/content/articles/Art067_23102006.html

......We find in Ibn ‘Atiyya that he relates how Asma bint Abu Bakr was with her sister Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her, when the Messenger entered, may Allah bless him and grant him peace. When his wife questioned about the correctness of her dress, the Prophet indicated that she should be covered except – and he mimed the hands and the face. This permits us to say that the Messenger, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, gave indication about modesty by covering, in accordance with the Qur’anic stricture “ – except for what normally shows – ”. This allows us to say that the covering of the face is not an Islamic practice, but more seriously is a defiance of the indication of our Messenger, may Allah bless him and grant him peace.

The Muslim Community cannot be led into a frivolous and futile struggle at the hands of men and women who do not know what the Deen of Islam is in the first place. ...

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2 3
Next page >>
Page 1 of 3

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker