Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Hamdiyah

USA
Topic initiated on Friday, July 2, 2004  -  2:23 PM Reply with quote
Test questions

As salâmu `alaikum wa Rahmatullâh wa Barakatullâh,

I pray that this message finds you in the best of Iman and in good health.

I have taken a few of the tests and noticed that Arabic words are presented in the tests that are not introduced and defined in the lesson’s text (i.e., mushaf and masahif in the test of History of the Qur`ân, Module 5). Is there a particular order that the courses should be taken so that the test taker would be able to recognize the Arabic words when presented in the tests?

wa salâm,

Hamdiyah Fatimah
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, July 3, 2004  -  6:07 PM Reply with quote

I understand the problem you have alluded to.

Actually, we already try to explain in English what is meant by a particular non-English word. There may be some words which might have been missed. The two words you have mentioned have been explained in the very first Module. Please see the summay under the heading 'Collection under Abu Bakar (rta)'. I would really appreciate if you would quote some words which have been left unexplained.

Hamdiyah

USA
Posted - Saturday, July 3, 2004  -  7:49 PM Reply with quote
As salâmu `alaikum wa Rahmatullâh wa Barakatullâh,

The term 'mushaf' is referenced in Module 1 of "History of the Qur'an," but 'mushaf' is not defined. I should have looked-up the term since I did not know what the term "mushaf" meant. It is mentioned in the 'Collection under teh Prophet (sws)' and 'Collection under 'Uthman (rta).' There are many instances of the term "manuscript" but I still cannot find the term 'masahif.' Anyway, I have learned two new terms.

Thank you.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, July 5, 2004  -  5:45 AM Reply with quote

I agree. Learning is what matters.

Under the caption, Collection under Abu Bakar (rta), the word Suhuf is explained:

Suhuf means loose pieces of writing material, such as paper, skin, papyrus, etc.

Under the caption, Collection under Uthman (rta), the word Mushaf is explained:

Uthman ordered fourn companions, among them Zayd Ibn Thabit to rewrite the script in perfect copies. Mushaf (i.e. Masahif) means collected Suhuf brought together into a fixed order.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker