Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
kidatheart

NEW ZEALAND
Topic initiated on Monday, October 10, 2016  -  8:59 PM Reply with quote
Understanding the Sunnah - Module 1

Assalamu alaikum

I am just beginning my studies and so find this learning of great value.

Already I have learnt so much but have also questioned things I have been raised up with.

Of importance is this topic on Sunnah.

My upbringing has led me to believe that it is one's duty to question what you are told and more recently it is your right to ask for "the evidence or proof" of what you are told.

The evidence or proof (I have learnt) is from, in order of preference,

1. The Holy Qur'aan
2. Authenticated Hadith
& 3. The Sunnah of the Holy Prophet swt

As I read through this course I note that the precedence is :

The Holy Qur'aan then the Sunnah.

Can I please have a reason for this. Some teachings are the 3 I have mentioned and some are 2 as per this course and recently I came across a Mosque that only follows the Sunnah of the Prophet swt.

Is this due to the different Jurispudicial Schools of Islam, if so can someone identify which follows which?

My real concern over only following 2 or one and not all three is this:

If one only follows the Holy Qur'aan and the Sunnah or only the Sunnah then how does one understand truly what they are doing?

My understanding is that the Qur'aan does not go into specifics, if you wish to go into context and get an understanding and meaning to what is contained in the Qur'aan you need to read an authenticated Hadith as this goes into a detailed account and meaning about what is in the Qur'aan.

If the above is correct how can one only follow the Sunnah ? Doing so relies on accepting what one is told, this can lead to corruption and abuse by the "leader" and result in blind, sheeplike followers never questioning the authority of what is related to them.

The Qur'aan does not go into detail the life and practices of the Prophet swt. This detailed information is contained within the Hadith so how can this NOT be held up as a document that must be consulted as "the Evidence or Proof" ?

I am very keen to learn what schools hold what as their evidence.

Edited by: kidatheart on Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:28 PM

Edited by: kidatheart on Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:31 PM

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker