Page 1 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
aslam

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Thursday, January 15, 2004  -  6:50 PM Reply with quote
Qurbani?

Salams,
What is the nisab for Qurbani(sacrifice of animals on Baqareid)?
Can a person give the amount of Qurbani in charity instead of sacrificing an animal?
zest

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, January 20, 2004  -  12:55 PM Reply with quote

Sacrificing the animals is a Sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh), which is not binding like prayer and fasting. However, it is a part of the Hajj rituals and those who are offering hajj must sacrifice (except for during hajj-i-Ifraad). There is no Nisaab for offering sacrifices just as is the case with performing Hajj. One knows when he can offer Hajj or Qurbani and under what circumstances he cannot.

As regards the matter of giving the amount that ones has spared for Qurbani in charity, i do not thing the act should be objected to. In certain circumstances i may prefer that and to God my act may be considered equal to slaughtering an animal or even more rewarding in the eyes of the Almighty. But in absence of any sound reason and compelling situation i would opt for offering the sacrifice. It is a symbolic expression of my yearn to offerer everything that i have i the way of Allah including my life. And giving the money away just to avoid the bother of slaughterig the animal and other issues may indicate lack of concern from my part.

student

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, January 21, 2004  -  12:16 PM Reply with quote
I would like to draw kind attention of honourable Mr.Zest that his answer lacks precision and clarity.Nisab is clear that if a person has required amount he should offer sacrifice. Moreover virtues are not interchangeable. Each virtue has its own importance and nonr can be sacrificed for the sake of other.Charity can in no way be the subtitute of sacrifice. It reminds us the great sacrifice of Hazrat Ibrahim which he had offered in the shape of his belove son and it also reminds us that we should be prepared for sacrificing even our lives in the way of Allah if so required.Charity can in no way inculcate such feelings in us.The prophet saw never tagged it with Hajj and always offered it even when he was not performing Hajj and the example of the Prophet is a sufficient reason for us to offer animals for sacrifice.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, January 22, 2004  -  12:52 PM Reply with quote
Your point is well taken when there is no utmost need to help out someone. A believer should sacrifice to commemorate the events that took place in the lives of two great Prophets of Allah. You are right that the Holy Prophet (pbuh) always adhered to the practice of sacrificing.

However, the question remains that if a person faces a situation where he has to help someone in dire circumstance but in doing so, he cannot sacrifice on the Eid for lack of resources, he should, in my humble opinion, help out his poor fellow instead of sacrificing.

What do you think?
Razi Allah

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, January 22, 2004  -  2:59 PM Reply with quote
The argument that there are so many needy people today who are waiting to be helped and that we would do well to divert our resources towards their well being rather than mindlessly slaughtering animals is misplaced, in my opinion.

quote:
However, the question remains that if a person faces a situation where he has to help someone in dire circumstance but in doing so, he cannot sacrifice on the Eid for lack of resources, he should, in my humble opinion, help out his poor fellow instead of sacrificing.

There will always be someone, in dire straits, whom we should help. Unless you imply that a close association is in need of help, this argument does not hold water.

We tend to conflate ideas and beliefs which have different backgrounds and ought to be practiced seperately and simultaneously. We have time throughout the year to help someone but come Eid al-Adhaa and suddenly there is a surge of philanthropic activity in our system, which is not bad at all but better be reserved for days other than Eid.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, January 22, 2004  -  4:25 PM Reply with quote
I request that you please shed some light why this argument will hold water if some close association is involved.
student

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, January 24, 2004  -  12:57 PM Reply with quote
Dire need is a relevant term.In principle no virtue can be sacrificed for the sake of other.However one should find out the alternatives for others. I think just a preson can break his prayer for saving a person who is facing the danger of fire, similarly one can forsake ritual sacrifice if he thinks that situation is really grave but that should not become a regular habit.By nature man chases allowances hence this tendency must be guarded against.
I would like to ask Mr.Zest that how does he specify this ritual sacrifice with the ritual of Hajj when as Mr. Jhangir has rightly said that the Holy Prophet always adhered to this ritual. In Shariah allownces are given on some principles not for personal likings and dislikings and In Islamic Sharia the person of the Prophet holds a pivotal status hence his actions cannot be overlooked and we should always be sensitive for passing remarks on the basis of self-inclination.

Edited by - student on January 26 2004 11:49:17
aslam

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, January 24, 2004  -  6:02 PM Reply with quote
Salams,
Is there any prescribed Nisab(stipulated amount)for Qurbani like Zakat?
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, January 24, 2004  -  6:12 PM Reply with quote

I know your question is directed toward Mr. Zest, who I expect would be responding to this.

I however would like to say that I agree on the point that dire need is a relevant term in the sense how much closeness you have with the person whose needs should be fulfilled on priority basis. I also agree on the point that rituals should not be forsaken under normal circumstances of life, which includes both favorable and unfavorable around the globe. It is actually your responsibility toward someone that you have to let go of some ritual to discharge your responsibility with which you are entrusted. When I said: where he has to help someone in dire circumstances, I was only referring to a situation where close association is involved---an association which puts on your shoulder some real responsibility. It is actually all relevant. Each and every person should decide, of course with utmost sincerity, what he should to in order to please His Lord in a given circumstance.

Edited by - jhangeer hanif on January 26 2004 16:07:28

zest

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, January 26, 2004  -  5:01 PM Reply with quote

I would like to ask Mr.Zest that how does he specify this ritual sacrifice with the ritual of Hajj when as Mr. Jhangir has rightly said that the Holy Prophet always adhered to this ritual.

The detail directives regarding all the Sunan have been handed down to us by the consensus of the Ummah over the history. It has always been clear that the Sunnah of Qurbani is not binding as the prayer or Zakah is. However, for those who are performing Hajj it has been rendered obligatory with the only exception of hajj ifraaad.

It is only Imam Abu Hanifa who said it is obligatory for those who afford it and are not on journey. But even his pupils, Imam Muhamad and Abu Yousaf did not acknowledge this opinion. They say it is not obligatory. See for details: Bidayah
al Mujtahid and Nihayah al Muqtasid (http://www.al-eman.com/feqh/viewchp.asp?BID=231&CID=15#s13)

aslam

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, January 26, 2004  -  5:54 PM Reply with quote
Salams,
Thank you for your valuable posts!
Would it not be better,in a country like pakistan,
to spend the money for the alleviation of dire poverty instead of slaughtering of animals?
zest

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, January 26, 2004  -  6:29 PM Reply with quote

I do not think that ritual of Qurbani can be replaced. It is a worship wihc symbolizes our passion of sacrificing ourselves in the way of Allah. It is an established Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad and an integral part of the basic religious fabric.

What would you say if someone suggests that people should leave the worship of ritual prayer and should work and give the money earned away for the betterment of the soceity, or what other virtuous deed they can think of?

hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, January 30, 2004  -  1:11 AM Reply with quote
assalamo alaykum/peace
i think u r right zest
this sunnah of Abraham (peace b upon him) revives the lesson of his great friendship with Lord, his extraordinarily strong trust/tawakkal and belief in Him, his patience, obedience, cooperation among family members to obey Lord together;
we need all these virtues so much in our day to day life, i think more in this age of harassment and ha hoo than any other time.

besides we can relate all this to our children/younger generation each time they witness the event of slauhtering; or when they hear about it or contribute into it,

as already , many people r unable to perform qurbani practically at many places in the world; due to local laws and variable reasons

if we bring this event to an end completely, then there is a fear that gradually the above facts related to this sunnah will also fade out

open to comments

Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, January 30, 2004  -  12:10 PM Reply with quote

This world has not seen any period of time when there were no people who were suffering and in need to financial help. It may be true for a particular region in a particular era that people were so affluent that they would not need financial help. But not about mankind in commonality!

If we assume, for a moment, that Pakistani people are not in need of financial help, then there is the whole Africa which is in dire need of help. I am not saying that we should not extend financial help to others. What I am saying is that this world has never seen a time when people were not afflicted with plight and miseries unimaginable. Unless and until, some real responsibility is rest on our shoulder, we cannot let go of important practices which attach us to the Lord. Moreover, it is these practices which remind us of Allah and infuse us with the spirit to spend in His way. If we were to renounce these practices for the sake of poverty alleviation, we would eventually end up spending nothing or spending only to boast and show off. Why? Because there would be no remembrance of God as a result of giving up religious practices.

hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, February 1, 2004  -  5:12 AM Reply with quote
yes dear br. that's wat i meant.

many thnx/jazak#Allah for further clarifying it.

may we all b able to get the essence of this sacrifice.
verily its the spirit of the act(sacrifice) which reaches Him, and not the flesh and blood.

AAg hay, aula'd- e- Ibrahim hay, namrood hay;
phir kisie ko phir kisie ka' imteha'n maqsood hay!(allama Mohammad iqbal-peace b upon his soul)

wassalaam

xxbasxx

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, February 14, 2004  -  5:24 AM Reply with quote
this has nuthing 2 do with the question above but i needdddd 2 no!!
atleast its related to the topic.... i hpe...
ne way
my hindu frend sed it was in-human of muslims 2 sacrifice animals 4 our God.
is it?
i no it's religios and Allah wants us 2 but the hole beleef abt animals being there 4 our wel being ... is tht slytly in-human?
XxBasmahxX

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker