Established 1981
London School of Islamics
An Educational Trust
63 Margery Park Road London E7 9LD
Email: info@londonschoolofislamics.org.uk
www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk
Tel/Fax: 0208 555 2733 / 07817 112 667
Multi-ethnic Communities
According to a recent report racial abuse, threats, bullying, physical attacks and discrimination are a common part of life for many London’s Black, ethnic minority and refugee children. The study found that 80% had experienced racial abuse or verbal threats and 70% believed the authorities treated them unfairly in the field of employment, NHS, housing and education.

British native pupils are particular racist. Shocking levels of racist abuse in schools in the south-east are revealed in a new study. Overseas teachers were regularly insulted with cries of “go back to your own country”. There is a high degree of ignorance, xenophobia and covert racism among native pupils in all schools. Black parents say a war is being waged against their children and fear their spirits will be broken at schools. They particularly feared for boys, highlighting stereotyping and low expectations

A new report examining racism in London has found Newham to be the most racist borough. It also found that most racist incidents are not reported because people do not believe anything will be done. Racism blocks the career progression of doctors from overseas, according to a new report. BMA suggests racism is evident in access of training and careers and is seen as “acceptable” behavior in NHS.

Ethnic children have suffered “50 years of failure” within the education system, a Government advisor on ethnicity has claimed. Dr Maud Blair working for DFES said those in power had a “legal” and moral responsibility to tackle under achievement among children. She said structural failing in the system must be addressed and certain schools needed to move on from seeing certain groups of pupils as a problem. New figures from DFES show that Black Caribbean children are still three times more likely than white children to be permanently excluded from schools in England. Ann Cryes MP is more interested in the isolated and tiny issue of forced marriages while ignoring the main issues of the Muslim community.

More than 10% of primary and 9% of secondary pupils do not speak English and out of them 7% of primary and 6% of secondary pupils are from the Indian sub-continent. New research shows that children who speak at least two languages do better at schools than those who speak only one. British teachers still see multilingualism as a problem rather than an asset.

Adam Smith Institute unveiled a plan that parents with children in failing schools would be given a £2500 voucher to be used to pay for a school set up by any charity, community or church group. James Tooly and colleagues at Newcastle University also proposes cash grants to help parents set up new schools and a £500 tax credit to middle income families who choose private education. Parents should be given the right to set up schools or take over existing ones under private charitable or community management. In other countries parents have a free choice of schools whether independent or state, with money following the pupil.
Iftikhar Ahmad
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, January 5, 2004  -  7:42 PM Reply with quote
Your article is primarily 'problem oriented' why not design it 'solution oriented'. Looking at the opportunities avoiding most hurdles.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, January 30, 2004  -  1:29 AM Reply with quote
peace

i agree with iftikhar in many of the above aspects
i think the solution is that rulers should bring up fairer system
this earth and life on it can continue in a normal way only when fair dealing prevails.

it will carry on though one way or the other, untill our Lord decides to announce the final Day of Judgement.
so life does wait for and look fwd to "justice"
whether in this world, or in the next

therefore, conclusively, answer to jhangir's question is "Justice" , which i'm afraid NEEDS to b practiced by the people of authority

i don't think we/general public can do much about it except telling/requesting/writing to them and trying to pursue them re: different issues awaiting justice
besides working hard at our own places,regarding our own responsibilities

i don't expect that they will do it without Taqwa/God awareness and accountability awareness

open to comments

Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, January 30, 2004  -  12:34 PM Reply with quote

Of course, justice is the basic human right which everyone should be provided with.

What I tried to communicate is that we often tend to look at the bad side of the picture and it is often the bad side that gets into news, electronic and print media, because it is a product of reaction, agitation, or simply is sensational. When I take a look at the daily nespapers, the feeling I get is that there are only bad, dishonest and murderous guys out there; fruad, deception, rape and dishonesty is at the pinnacle in our society. But when I look around in real life there is a lot good going on. There are so nice people who are happy to see you happy and who are sad to see you sad.

I tend to avoid the picture potrayed by the foremer sources and I tend to look at the good side of the picture. There are problems around me [including me, a big problem!] but Allah has not promised this world to be problem free. Positive mentality is what I would say that we should have though I fully agree that we should also keep communicating our problems to those who are in authority.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker