Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
StudyingIslamUK

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Sunday, February 7, 2010  -  7:04 PM Reply with quote
Assisted Suicide Bill UK.

Have your Say on various Media Channels:

Letter regarding Assisted Suicide Bill UK Forwarded From Renaissance Readers Club UK (Affiliate of Almawrid Foundation for Islamic Research & Education)
To: South East England Faith Forums, Local Faith Partnerships Berkshire & other Counties of UK, Jewish-Muslim Faith Forums, BBC, Members of the Parliament (House of Common & House of Lords), Doctors.

Dear Faith Partners sala'm (peace) In today's news re: assisted suicide I suppose faith partnerships and interfaith bodies must be coming up with their opinion. As we have been discussing in the past, It all depends on the Philosophy of Life. If we believe that we as human beings were promised by our Creator that everything would be 100% as per our choice in this world, then we all must assist each other to suicide, but if this is not the case and we understand that this life is a part of an ongoing life (according to the modern genetic studies, almost everything can be studied in a cell except the fact about the time of death of that individual~this indicates that human life is not going to end anyway~even after suicide;it will continue into the 2nd phase whether we kill ourselves, die naturally or get killed) & things can sometimes and sometimes not be in accordance with our choice. In the latter case, we believe that each Faith representative could then send their Faith's outlook about this Life and any future world they believe in. However with open minds, we all could still sit together as Faith Representatives and discuss whether despite all these views there could still be a space for suicide and assisted suicide for terminally ill or disabled people? -- rgds h Dr.Ms.Henna Khan VC Slough Faith Partnership Chair Renaissance Readers Club UK (Affiliate of Almawrid Foundation for Islamic Research & Education)

Response:

By Abdullah Rahim
Scholar associated with Almawrid Foundation for Islamic Research & Education

I think we need to distinguish between euthanasia that is clearly suicide and euthanasia that is not really suicide.
I try to explain with examples and please bear in mind that I am not a physician so ignore any unprofessional expressions:

1. The person is sick. If we leave him naturally he will survive but will have a very painful or difficult life. In this case if the person or his associates commit euthanasia then this is clearly suicide and it is Haram. Every life belongs to God and only he can and should decide or order when it has to be taken.

2. The person is sick. If we leave him naturally he will not survive, however it is possible to use advanced clinical tools and medicines to keep him alive for more years. If this person was living (say) 50 years ago he would have died of his sickness very soon but owing to the new technology he can now survive (even if he has a plant form of life) for many years. I think in this situation, just as no one can force the person to pass away, no one can force him to take advantage of the modern technology either. I think in this situation if the person decides that he does not want to use any of the available tools to live longer then he is not committing any sins. I would not consider this to be suicide. The person only wants to have a life according to the rules of nature with no interference of new technology.
The only issue here is a legal issue that might rise when the person himself is not conscious or aware enough to decide about this. The question will be, can others decide whether to keep supporting him with technology or to let him die? This is a difficult one. In my opinion in such situation it has to be his dependants and parents to decide about this and if there are any complexities then the court should interfere.

AR

A very good idea indeed, please pursue it. The idea also ties in with all the curent discussion about 'assisted' dying; the high proportion of dependant old people suffering from dementia; and the absolute sanctity of life. VERY difficult questions - !

With kind regards, Wanda Nash [3FF, SEEFF, Winchester]

Thank you, Dr Henna, for your email. This is not a letter to answer with a superficial reply. Yes. I think it does deserve the careful consideration of people who have a grounding in ethics, especially those who have a faith-based approach to discourse on 'the common good' for communities. It would be good for this to be a subject for dialogue. Salaam aleyik. Philip (Religious Teacher)

I am sure you know, there are two path for believers and others. They could enjoy their life and may end themselves or it may end by natural means but the consequences are same. It is all clear so there is no point to debate about it but it is a time for believers to be storng and solid in their faith.Allah may help us on the right path.
regards,
br akbar (Lab.Scientist)

It's a painful subject, but one that we can all view with love and compassion.

Tony (Musician)
www.tony-osborne.com

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker