Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
faysal99

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Topic initiated on Thursday, September 3, 2009  -  9:17 PM Reply with quote
Improbable to eradicate Sectarianism

I see "Al-Mawrid" scholars dominating electronic media (especially during Ramazan) to present their religious understanding, but unfortunately, the intellectual Dialogue between notable Religious Scholars of different sects is still not only missing but there is very sheer chance even it will be started in future. (And a Sunni Forum or TariqJamil.org subscriber will ever chime in to studying-islam.org)

I have observed that during the religious tv programmes, more often , the same group of callers , is asking questions from their cherished scholars or whom they believe (by just assumption or by the count of his/her followers ) that his/her interpretation of Islam is correct(Just watch "Deen-o-Danish" by Allama Ghamidi and analyse the pattern of callers). Other people are even not ready to watch a religious programme , in which , some other scholar is presenting his/her views.

Ordinary men apart, unfortunately, this religious biasness for hearing or following a particular scholar, is being practised by highly educated and learned people ( i know several PHD's even) ,whom we cannot exclude on the basis that they did'nt have the grooming or proper education.

Though Allama Ghamidi is of the opinion that once the civil society will be educated and groomed at large, more religious tolerance will be created - but i think there is another aspect of this which we shall not ignore.

In Natural or Social Sciences , scientists and researchers do differ from each other in their understanding of subject matter but that difference does not affect a common man or society- i.e the differences stay at research level. But when it comes to Religion, its interpretation is directly related to an ordinary person since its a matter of faith and belief and emotions are associated - a true follower has to practice it each and every day.

So i am of the opinion that, to, really able to internalize the understanding of Religion, a deep and critical study of religion is needed- without which- one cannot develop his/her own independant opinion or become a true follower or believer. But , since, humans have different personalities, and they differ in their interests and inclinations, it is not possible that, every one , can develop and interalnize the understanding of religion at such deep level.

So, it is very natural that, people will "Trust" on some religious scholar, or be attached to a particular sect and will be full of emotions (considering that their belief is correct and they are the only righteous who is going to Paradise). As a result, society will remain largely and deeply divided based on relgious factions and hence sectarianism cannot be uprooted. The only viable solution , which can be both beneficial for the individuals and for the development and progress of society, is to declare that, state has no religion,it is forbidden to publicly express religious views and it is strictly a personal matter.

Edited by: faysal99 on Thursday, September 03, 2009 9:21 PM
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Friday, September 4, 2009  -  5:57 AM Reply with quote
quote:

I see "Al-Mawrid" scholars dominating electronic media (especially during Ramazan) to present their religious understanding,.....
That shows your poor research of the Electronic media with respect to pesentation of Islam and its teachings.

Every God-fearing scholar is doing his/her duty in propagating the teachings of Qur'an and Sunnah to the best of their ability and capacity to pool resources. "Al-Mawrid" is only one such institution.

quote:

....the intellectual Dialogue between notable Religious Scholars of different sects is still not only missing but there is very sheer chance even it will be started in future......
This statement is untrue.

quote:

Other people are even not ready to watch a religious programme , in which , some other scholar is presenting his/her views.
Why would they?

quote:

Though Allama Ghamidi is of the opinion that once the civil society will be educated and groomed at large, more religious tolerance will be created - but i think there is another aspect of this which we shall not ignore.
Does that mean that you do not agree with Allama Ghamidi's views?

No doubt opinions of scholars are not binding upon the Ummah Their statements must be judged according to the Qur’aan and Sunnah and if their sayings comply with these two divine sources, then it is accepted. If not, then their sayings are discarded and rejected.

quote:

.....declare that, state has no religion,it is forbidden to publicly express religious views and it is strictly a personal matter.
That statement of yours is against the teachings of the Qur'an and Sunnah which are the foundations for all Islamic knowledge. It is not just enough if you recite the Kalimah, you should also believe and follow what is in the Qur'an and Sunnah and not follow the dictates of Shaitan.

Edited by: aboosait on Saturday, September 05, 2009 1:28 PM
saba2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, September 18, 2009  -  7:50 PM Reply with quote
Is it wrong to have a secular state where there is a majority of muslims? I dont hink you need to go that far where you forbid religion being discussed but freedom to practice yuor belief without State laws sponsoring one sect.
abunoman

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, September 19, 2009  -  4:58 AM Reply with quote
The biggest problem with we Muslims is that we ourselves are not ready to study our religion - to which we very proudly own. Even the literate people don't do so. We have left all our queries to the 'mullas' who have are slaves of their own whims. Allah swt repeatedly says think and ponder on Qura'n but even the so called Phds are not ready for it. The only sources to learn about Islam are Qura'n and hadith and adnd get all your problems with these two sources and if you don't get answer think and ponder yourself (qias) InshaAllah you will get the answer/solution. Ghamdi Saheb is preaching nothing new. He is saying what every rationale person should say and do.When we are asked what is your religion, our answer is Islam. It means we "own " Islam. When some body owns something it becomes his responsibility and obligation to protect and safeguard that thing. No body should be allowed to infiltrate, impurify and contaminate that valuable thing.
My humble request to all literate people is to study Islam by themselves and in that case they will form their own opinion and not follow any particular school of thought. If during his sincere study one infer something wrong, be assured he will not be accountable before Allah Rab ul Izzat.
saba2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, September 19, 2009  -  7:55 AM Reply with quote
I agree whole heartedly there is so much available on the net in books etc. to help us in our study. I never knew Islam meant to own so what you own you must know and be answerable to. You have just proven your point,how little we study and think. So what do you think can a muslim majority country be a secular one?
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Friday, September 25, 2009  -  6:20 PM Reply with quote
quote:

........ freedom to practice yuor belief without State laws sponsoring one sect.......
No compulsion in religeon but the State has its own duties and responsibilities towards its citizens - that of giving them a governance based on the Rules laid dowen by the Qur'an and the Sunnah. Only one of the several sects will fit that description according to the Prophet Sallallahu alaihi wasallam.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Friday, September 25, 2009  -  6:30 PM Reply with quote
quote:

1.......... Allah swt repeatedly says think and ponder on Qura'n ...........

2..........The only sources to learn about Islam are Qura'n and hadith ........

3..........My humble request to all literate people is to study Islam by themselves ...........

Jazakallahu khair.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Friday, September 25, 2009  -  6:33 PM Reply with quote
quote:

........can a muslim majority country be a secular one?

secular? Kindly elaborate on that and tell us what exactly you mean by that.
saba2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, September 27, 2009  -  4:52 PM Reply with quote
A secular state is a concept of secularism, whereby a state or country purports to be officially neutral in matters of religion, supporting neither religion nor irreligion.[1] A secular state also claims to treat all its citizens equally regardless of religion, and claims to avoid preferential treatment for a citizen from a particular religion/nonreligion over other religions/nonreligion. Most often it has no state religion or equivalent.
A secular state is defined as protecting freedom of religion as pursued in state secularism. It is also described to be a state that prevents religion from interfering with state affairs, and prevents religion from controlling government or exercising political power. Laws protect each individual including religious minorities from discrimination on the basis of religion

This is definition from Wikipedia.
"State policies or legislation must be based on civic reasons accessible to citizens of all religions. The state should be secure from the misuse of religious authority.Separating religion from the state." This is what I understand of a secular State these are some quotes from a scholar Abdullahi Ahmed An-Na`im from his book "Islam and the Secular State".

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker