Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Thursday, August 6, 2009  -  8:46 PM Reply with quote
shab e barat. importance?

we all have eaten lots of varieties of halwas as children for this famous night and burnt our clothes with candles and hands with wax but when we do a serious study we find out that actually there is no such thing as a 'shabe barat'. it has no basis in authentic islamic sources. such festives have become famous in the last few hundred years, mostly trying to race with the cultures & nations who have lots of feasts and celebrations in their faiths like sikh community has multiple birthdays of various gurus nearly every month, buddhists observe multiple meditation events and so on (check out 'Religious Events' series in our interfaith forums on this site

http://www.studying-islam.org/forum/topic.aspx?topicid=2297&;lang=&forumid=34

however he prophet sws and his companions never observed such a night.
student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, August 7, 2009  -  8:35 AM Reply with quote
Dear Brothers,

Pls correct me If I am wrong,does
Shab-e-Barat means the day when Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) was born?

If this is true, then according to my understanding and knowledge,it doesnot hold much importance because we donot find any explicit evidences in the hadiths or historical sources which report that Companions or taba tabaeen have ever celebrated this day after the demise of Prophet Muhammad(pbuh).

Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) himself stated that after his demise,we should follow his Companions especially the 4 Rightly Guided Caliphes who were his prominent companions .

I think this is more of a tradition or culture that has penetrated into Sub-Continent through some sources and the residents of this sub-continent embraced this tradition without paying heed or pondering over the background and the reality of it.

I don't think this day is celebrated anywhere apart from sub-continent,even in Saudia Arabia it is not celebrated.

Regards,
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, August 7, 2009  -  10:47 AM Reply with quote
No student1, Shab e Barat is the night of 15th Shaban, and it is thought that this night is very special because destinies are made by Allah on this night.
What your refferring to is 12 of Rabi-ul-Awal.

And like you said celebrating birthday of Prophet (PBUH) is a concept prevailing in sub continent only, same is with Shab e Barat. Except for Indo-Pak, nobody else in the world observe any such thing. If it were something practiced by Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) then it would be known and followed all over the Muslim world.
Those who say that Allah determines what going to happen with us in the coming year on this night are contradicting a very basic belief in Allah, i.e He is the all knowing. Allah knew what was going to happen with us before He created us. Why does He have to decide our future every year?
Another thing that needs to be mentioned here is that His foreknowledge does not in anyway deprive us of our free will, it is indeed us who choose our paths, but Allah already knows what we will choose.
And I'm not saying that we shouldn't pray and do ibbadat, of course we should nobody is denying that, but the thing is why only on 15th of Shaban. There's nothing special about this night, it's just a normal night, why not stay up late and worship Him on 16th or 14th, or anyother day of any month?
student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, August 7, 2009  -  8:18 PM Reply with quote
Dear brother,

Asalam Aalaikum,

Thank you for correcting me,yes I agree with your understanding of this issue but their are certain hadiths in which Prophet(pbuh) is reported to have said that "he use to pray to Allah(swt) and ask for forgiveness during this day".
I donot remember the reference no of these hadiths but I hope u know it.
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, August 8, 2009  -  9:53 AM Reply with quote
Those Hadith are weak according to many experts of hadith.
atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, August 12, 2009  -  12:02 PM Reply with quote
Dear brother,

I do agree with commentf of brother shah_625 but have some points which I need to clarify:

1. This 15th Shabaan, i don't think that it is only celebrated in Indo-Pak... ppl in Africa and middle east also celebrate this.

2. Even if the Ahadiths are weak, we still cannot say that this is something new invention in Islam as there are references available in the Ahadith books... Maximum we can say is that those who celebrate this day are mistaken...... But what if any such weak Hadith is a CORRECT one???

Please your comments
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, August 16, 2009  -  7:23 PM Reply with quote
we do not find any such ref in Qura'n. the only night mentioned in Qur'an is lailatul qadr and Qur'an itself quotes it's timing i.e. during ramadan.

there is no harm in doing ibadah during other nights, just like people would say that it isn't a sin reading words or surahs of Qur'an on certain times of the day for blessings in rizq, mind, health, proposals etc.or on certain occasions in life like birth, death, marriage, changing house etc. But the problem that results is that general public starts concentrating on these details religiously hence the space in life, which is already filled with lots of stuff, becomes so squeezed that there remains no time for the genuine religious tasks i.e. the ones without which our deen remains incomplete like obligatory prayers, fasts, other pillars of islam and iman, full- filling the duties to one's relatives, neighbours, friends and the needy etc. even so,looking after one self, one's own work, career, education etc. moreso ~our simple and graceful deen becomes but a mixture of/ or a "choochoo ka murabba"
what do we want to present to the world searching for the Truth?
atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, August 17, 2009  -  11:32 AM Reply with quote
Respected Madam,

I fully agree with you. My only confusion is that those who celebrate this try to give some reference from Quran as well... Also there are some Ahadith available...

In presence of atleast Ahadith, can we say that it is an innovation ?

Regards

Edited by: atifrafi on Monday, August 17, 2009 11:32 AM
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, August 18, 2009  -  6:19 AM Reply with quote
Dear Atif

When there is no ref. of shab-e-barat in Quran or Sunnah then it has nothing to do with Islam. Even if we've found it in Auth. Ahadith we must have to bring them in accordance with Quran-o-Sunnah. By saying that we accept any weak Hadith assuming that it might be correct you are about put aside all the efforts of Muhaddiseen.

When one thing is not "deene" in Quran-o-Sunnah then taking it as "deene" is Innovation (Bid'at) of course.

The only option might be that one strongly believes in that shab-e-barat has nothing to do with Islam but still can opt for him/her-self to do some worship on that night or fast in the coming day.
atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, August 18, 2009  -  10:14 AM Reply with quote
Respected Ibrahim Sb,

Thanks a lot for the clarification. Sir, I have 2 simple questions:

1. People do give reference from Quran about Shab-e-baraat. Still can we say it as Bida't.

2. What about the Ahadees? If some act of Prophet Muhammad (sws) is mentioned in the ahadees ( which is the only source for the life of The Prophet, how can we simply reject these.

Sir, I am not putting aside the effort of the Muhaddiseen, but this is also a fact that the people who compiled the books of Ahadees also put in a great deal of effort in compiling these books... Also, people who gathered these ahadees in books and later Muhadiseen both are Human Beings and any one can be mistaken.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker