Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
drhennataimoor

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Wednesday, January 7, 2009  -  10:58 PM Reply with quote
bare below the elbow policy by NHS

The Nhs has introduced a bare below the elbow policy for all employees and it strongly affects practisng muslim practitioners adversly .
many have refused to roll up their sleeves and one nurse has quit .how should we put pressure on the Nhs to review this policy which hurts the muslims.
drhennataimoor

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, January 7, 2009  -  11:57 PM Reply with quote
read the following link

http://www.nursingtimes.net/news/breakingnews/2008/09/muslim_woman_quits_nhs_over_bare_arms_policy.html
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Thursday, January 8, 2009  -  4:44 AM Reply with quote
Your comments in that link are worthy of publication:

Added: Wednesday, 7 January 2009 23:54 GMT
henna taimoor, derby, United Kingdom

Bare below the elbow is a new policy with no evidence supporting it prevents spread of Mrsa and clostridium, although adequate hand hygiene does .
NHS claims of employing people without discriminating its employees and it should take into account that muslim belief has a dress code for women that nothing should be exposed of the women after puberty except her face and hands ., and that is to promote modesty nothing else
.... nothing strange in that , Mary (Jesus's mother ), mother teresa wore similar clothes and so do practising christian women.
If u force a person to chose between faith and job , that is DISCRIMINATION...period.
As from what i know practising muslim women ,rinse their nose with water 15 times per day , for five compulsory prayers .(So I believe they must be the least carriers of MRSA) .and wash their arms 15 times daily from hands down to elbows for the compulsory ablution, so they are the least possible people to be carriers of germs

Edited by: aboosait on Thursday, January 08, 2009 4:45 AM
HandS

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, January 8, 2009  -  2:23 PM Reply with quote
This issue came up in our local hospital as well and quite a bit of anxiety about it amongst muslim staff.But when we looked into it, there is not a problem. The reason being that you are only expected to roll up your sleeves, or wear half sleeves upto elbows only whilst your are in clinical areas, in contact with patients, laboratory stuff etc. for hygienic reasons. For this matter even any hand or arm jewellery, watches etc should not be worne either. Once you are out of these areas, you can roll your sleeves down or put on a jacket to cover your arms. Our colleagues have not found problem in this.
StudyingIslamUK

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, March 7, 2009  -  4:51 PM Reply with quote
Assalamoalikum w r

I was just going through one of your articles "are you ok?the radiator is leaking " and thats where i got your email address from.
A very nice article and so true too
Well im writing to you about a peronal query . I applied for the foundation programme and alhamdulilah got a place too . So hopefully i will be starting this august inshallah
Just two things that concern me and i am asking you because you a are a muslim mum/doc
How do you abide by the new NHS dress code policies?
And when you studied for post grad studies , what sort of childcare did suit you most or can you recommend for me ? if possible.

I look up to you as someone who can advise and id like to act upon it too inshallah

w'assalam dear sister;great to hear from you-
which trust are you in and what is your speciality at the moment? i have spent most of my career(20 yrs) in obstetrics and gynaeclogical surgery & procedures so scrubbing has always been a part of it hence exposing arms upto elbows is a norm in this case. after that we get into full surgical gowns and everything is covered even more than normal.
when you are seeing patients in clinics and wards, apparently you are expected to roll up ur sleeves upto elbows again. the whole purpose of these instructions is sterilization and patients and doctors safety. so inshAllah we are not breaking God's laws here.
a couple of new lady drs were brought to me by our ocal chaplain and trust admin referred to me as those girls wear ful jilbab otherwise and were confused wat to do. i suggested instead of giving them sleeveless uniforms(they were radiology nurses) they shud be given ful sleeves uniforms which they can rll up and down as n wen. i told th egirls they could also buy detachable sleeves from primark stores etc and put them on when outside the clinical areas or to keep a jacket with them and put it on.
so really there shouldn't be a problem. if we start resisting and fighting straightaway , the authorities will find a reason to give more trouble. later they even dont take much notice and are happy to cooperate. hope this helps.

you can get a relative or an au peer or house maid on easy terms in order to complete your studies.or wait until kidz start going to school. see what u and ur husband/inlaws/family members come to after consultation with eachother.

hope it helps.

do keep sending ur posts to the site. always snice to have them:)

best wishes
h

Dr.Henna Khan
Visit our websites:
www.studying-islam.org
www.monthly-renaissance.com
www.al-mawrid.com
www.tv-almawrid.org

(www.serving-humanity.net)

Edited by: hkhan on Saturday, March 07, 2009 4:52 PM

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker