Next page >>
Page 1 of 3

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Thursday, October 30, 2008  -  11:42 AM Reply with quote
The dog

I have heard this since I was a child that dogs are haram, they are na-paak, angels don't enter a house where there is a dog.

I would like to know why don't angels come into the house where a dog is kept, why is it haram.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Thursday, October 30, 2008  -  3:32 PM Reply with quote
quote:

I have heard this since I was a child that dogs are haram, ..........

And I have been hearing right from my childhood that a prostitute went to Paradise because her compassion compelled her to give water to a dog dying of thirst.

Also there is mention in the Qur'an of a dog that was guarding the entrance to the cave where some God fearing men were sleeping.

quote:

.........I would like to know why don't angels come into the house where a dog is kept, why is it haram........

Here is the Hadith which contains that information:

Ibn Maajah (3640) narrated from ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or an image.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.

If someone could throw some light on the historical background in which the Prophet Sallallahu alaihi wasallam made this statement we would be able to arrive at the answer as to which angels dont enter and why.

Edited by: aboosait on Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:38 PM
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, October 31, 2008  -  5:43 AM Reply with quote
Does the following QnA solve your problem?

Question: What is the position of dogs in Islam? What's the basis for making dogs untouchable to Muslims?

Answer: The position of dogs is the same as that of any other tamed animal. It can be kept for protection as well as for hunting purposes. It can be kept as a pet as well. If kept as a pet, it is desirable (not obligatory of course) that it should not be brought inside the home since certain Ahādīth mention that angels have an aversion to dogs and angels, we know, often frequent our houses to shower blessings on us. This is just like showing respect to their personal dislike – nothing more. After all we do show respect to the tastes and inclinations of our parents, even when, at times, our own taste is different!

The notion that it is untouchable to Muslims has no basis, in my opinion, in the authentic sources of Islam. People base this view mostly on the following Hadīth.

Abū Hurayrah reports that the Prophet [once] said: When a dog puts his mouth in some utensil wash it seven times and scrub it with mud the seventh time as well. (Abū Da‘wūd: Kitāb al-Tahārah)

In my opinion, the Prophet (sws) gave this directive not because dogs are unclean but because some dogs in his times had become infected with rabies, which is a fatal disease. This seems so because of the intensity depicted in cleaning the utensil in this Hādith. Had the matter been of a dog being unclean intrinsically, the need to wash a utensil not two or three but seven times, and the seventh with mud, would not have been required.

by Shehzad Saleem
Source: http://www.monthly-renaissance.com/issue/query.aspx?id=669
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, October 31, 2008  -  9:17 AM Reply with quote
Well, I the QnA was helpful, but I might not agree with part which says you can keep a dog as a pet i.e you want it cause you would like to have one.
Sahih Bukhari Volume 7 : Book 67 : Hadith 389 :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Narrated by Ibn 'Umar:

The Prophet said, "Whoever keeps a (pet) dog which is neither a watch dog nor a hunting dog, will get a daily deduction of two Qirat from his good deeds."

And
Volume 3 : Book 39 : Hadith 516 :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Narrated by As-Sa'ib bin Yazid:

Abu Sufyan bin Abu Zuhair, a man from Azd Shanu'a and one of the companions of the Prophet said, "I heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'If one keeps a dog which is meant for guarding neither a farm nor cattle, one Qirat of the reward of his good deeds is deducted daily." I said, "Did you hear this from Allah's Apostle?" He said, "Yes, by the Lord of this Mosque."

And
Volume 7 : Book 67 : Hadith 390 :

Narrated by 'Abdullah bin Umar:

I heard the Prophet saying, "If someone keeps a dog neither for hunting, nor for guarding livestock, the reward (for his good deeds) will be reduced by two Qirats per day."

But then again I don't know why the angels won't come to a house where there is a dog, what do the angels have to do with dogs? Are the Hadith authentic? I know they are present in Sahih Bukhari, but don't you people think they kind of contradict the fact that a dog can be used for hunting guarding then why can't he be kept as a pet.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Friday, October 31, 2008  -  12:11 PM Reply with quote
quote:

...........certain Ahādīth mention that angels have an aversion to dogs and angels, we know, often frequent our houses to shower blessings on us. This is just like showing respect to their personal dislike – nothing more...........
How could the angels have an aversion to anything? Do they have a free will like humans?

The Angels visit someon's house only if they have Orders from Allah to do so.

Similarly if they do not attend a scheduled visit it can be only if Allah Orders so. It has nothing to do with the Angel's liking or disliking the person or the dog in his house. This is what I believe in.

Dear Hafizji, please correct me if I am wrong. Please produce proof from the Qur'an/Sunnah in support of your arguement.

Jazakallahu khair.

Wa s salam.

Edited by: aboosait on Saturday, November 01, 2008 5:34 AM
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, October 31, 2008  -  4:00 PM Reply with quote
Yes, brother thats what I have been thinking, what problem do angels have with dogs, but there are many narrations which show that angels do not enter houses with dogs.
Sahih Bukhari Volume 4 : Book 54 : Hadith 450 :

Narrated by Salim's father:

Once Gabriel promised the Prophet (that he would visit him, but Gabriel did not come) and later on he said, "We, angels, do not enter a house which contains a picture or a dog."

Volume 4 : Book 54 : Hadith 448 :

Narrated by Abu Talha:

I heard Allah's Apostle saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)."

Volume 7 : Book 72 : Hadith 843 :

Narrated by Salim's father:

Once Gabriel promised to visit the Prophet but he delayed and the Prophet got worried about that. At last he came out and found Gabriel and complained to him of his grief (for his delay). Gabriel said to him, "We do not enter a place in which there is a picture or a dog."

Volume 7 : Book 72 : Hadith 833 :

Narrated by Abu Talha :

The Prophet said, "Angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or there are pictures."

Volume 4 : Book 54 : Hadith 539 :

Narrated by Abu Talha:

The Prophet said, "Angels do not enter a house witch has either a dog or a picture in it."

Volume 5 : Book 59 : Hadith 338 :

Narrated by Ibn Abbas:

Abu Talha, a companion of Allah's Apostle and one of those who fought at Badr together with Allah's Apostle told me that Allah's Apostle said. "Angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture" He meant the images of creatures that have souls.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Friday, October 31, 2008  -  4:35 PM Reply with quote
quote:

...........Narrated by Salim's father:

Once Gabriel promised the Prophet (that he would visit him, but Gabriel did not come) and later on he said, "We, angels, do not enter a house which contains a picture or a dog."

Volume 4 : Book 54 : Hadith 448 :..........

Please try to get at the historical details. The wordings suggest that either there was a apicture or a dog in the place where the Prophet was waiting for the angel at the appointed time which was later removed and thus the angel was able to present himself.

If such is the case some more questions arises.

1. Were there photographic cameras in those days?

2. The currency notes in our pockets and our passports, driving licences, pancards --- all have photographs on them and almost everyone in the mosque has one of these in his/her pocket/wallet. Does this mean that all angels would run out of the Masjid?
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, October 31, 2008  -  4:54 PM Reply with quote
Brother actually I'm also holding your view, I just posted those Aadith because I have a confusion regarding this matter, may be someone can clear this.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Saturday, November 1, 2008  -  5:37 AM Reply with quote
I hope the learned scholars at Studying Islam UK will be able to show us the hisorical background of that Hadith.

Edited by: aboosait on Saturday, November 01, 2008 5:39 AM
umarbaig

INDIA
Posted - Saturday, November 1, 2008  -  11:15 AM Reply with quote
quote:

…………………this directive not because dogs are unclean but because some dogs in his times had become infected with rabies, which is a fatal disease……………….

by Shehzad Saleem

Does the disease (Rabies) affect only n only dogs? If NO, why especially dog is mentioned in the hadith?
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, November 1, 2008  -  11:57 AM Reply with quote
Rabies is an infection caused by the rabies virus. This virus attacks the brain, causing severe inflammation (encephalitis) and death. All species of mammals can become infected with the rabies virus, only a few species are best able to spread the rabies virus to other animals, like dog, bat, monkey, foxes, racoon and skunk.

Its common sense that only dog is mentioned because in those days, rabies was spreading through dogs only. That is why the holy Prophet said :

Sahih Bukhari Volume 4 : Book 54 : Hadith 531 :

Narrated by 'Aisha:

The Prophet said, "Five kinds of animals are mischief-doers and can be killed even in the Sanctuary: They are the rat the scorpion, the kite, the crow and the rabid dog."

Volume 3 : Book 29 : Hadith 54 :

Narrated by Hafsa:

Allah's Apostle said, "It is not sinful (of a Muhrim) to kill five kinds of animals, namely: the crow, the kite, the mouse, the scorpion and the rabid dog

Volume 4 : Book 54 : Hadith 532 :

Narrated by 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:

Allah's Apostle said, "It is not sinful of a person in the state of Ihram to kill any of these five animals: The scorpion, the rat, the rabid dog, the crow and the kite."

Volume 4 : Book 54 : Hadith 540 :

Allah's Apostle ordered that the dogs should be killed.
umarbaig

INDIA
Posted - Saturday, November 1, 2008  -  12:37 PM Reply with quote
quote:

mammals can become infected with the rabies virus, only a few species are best able to spread the rabies virus to other animals, like dog, bat, monkey, foxes, racoon and skunk

What is the source?
umarbaig

INDIA
Posted - Saturday, November 1, 2008  -  12:59 PM Reply with quote
quote:

........that only dog is mentioned because in those days, rabies was spreading through dogs only. That is why the holy Prophet said :

The prophet's saying always has a wide spectrum not limited to dogs because Allah is behind sayings of the prophet.
umarbaig

INDIA
Posted - Saturday, November 1, 2008  -  1:01 PM Reply with quote
quote:

those days, rabies was spreading through dogs only.

What is the authenticated source?
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, November 1, 2008  -  2:59 PM Reply with quote
quote:

quote:

mammals can become infected with the rabies virus, only a few species are best able to spread the rabies virus to other animals, like dog, bat, monkey, foxes, racoon and skunk

What is the source?

Google on rabies, you'll find plenty
shah_625

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, November 1, 2008  -  3:05 PM Reply with quote
quote:

quote:

those days, rabies was spreading through dogs only.

What is the authenticated source?

Read these again

Allah's Apostle said, "It is not sinful of a person in the state of Ihram to kill any of these five animals: The scorpion, the rat, the rabid dog, the crow and the kite."

Narrated by 'Aisha:

The Prophet said, "Five kinds of animals are mischief-doers and can be killed even in the Sanctuary: They are the rat the scorpion, the kite, the crow and the rabid dog."

It is clearly mentioned rabid dog, other animals that could be infected are not mentioned and I couldn't find any narrations in Sahih Bukhari that mention other rabid animals, correct me if I'm wrong.
So in my opinion it would not be wrong to conclude from these narrations that in Prophet's time dogs were infected with rabies and they posed a serious threat to humans, therefore it wasn't wrong to kill them.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2 3
Next page >>
Page 1 of 3

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker