Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
tilawat

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Friday, September 19, 2008  -  11:58 PM Reply with quote
Obligation of wife?

The man, as a husband, is obliged to provide maintenance, inter alia, to his wife, which obligation is enforceable legally making husbands liable to be sent to jail even for a default on this account.

Is there any legally enforceable obligation on the part of a woman as a wife?
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Monday, September 22, 2008  -  11:01 AM Reply with quote
interesting question.
i dont think there is any obligation on women.whatever she does voluntarily is a part of her nature and understanding of the moral teaching of our religion.
tilawat

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, September 25, 2008  -  12:57 AM Reply with quote
Thank you dear Roushan for the kind comment but I am surprised and somewhat disappointed on the general apathy towards the topic.

We often come across media reports in Pakistan about husbands having been sent to jail for non-payment of maintenance to their wives even when these happened to be treacherous and rebellious. Is it not sheer injustice?

What the moderator/administrator has to say in this respect?
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, September 29, 2008  -  6:27 AM Reply with quote
Me too agree with brother Rawshan's post.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, October 7, 2008  -  12:40 AM Reply with quote
I think a woman already does a lot while trying to keep the family unit intact. Therefore God has not put any more burden on her delicate shoulders.
Thank God
tilawat

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, October 9, 2008  -  11:12 PM Reply with quote
hkhan

Do you mean that a wife is not legally bound to do any thing and the husband has to depend on her sheer whim and fancy? How can an institution be maintained if all parties to it are bound legally to do their part? It is perhaps the very fact - lack of any legal obligation for wife - that leads to 'kaaro kaari' as husbands has no legal means to deal with his wife.
tilawat

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, October 9, 2008  -  11:21 PM Reply with quote
Sorry, a correction in line 3 of my previous post.
The word 'not' be added between 'are' and 'bound'.
The sentence would thus read as under:

'How can an institution be maintained if all parties to it are not bound legally to do their part?'
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, October 10, 2008  -  4:39 AM Reply with quote
it's much better to edit your post rather this.
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Friday, October 10, 2008  -  8:16 AM Reply with quote
quote:

How can an institution be maintained if all parties to it are bound legally to do their part? It is perhaps the very fact - lack of any legal obligation for wife - that leads to 'kaaro kaari' as husbands has no legal means to deal with his wife.

You are now talking about the crimes done by men and women in general.
Quran is very specific about the moral duty of both parties to save their chastity,as
Al-Ahzab (The Confederates)

33:35 VERILY, for all men and women who have sur­rendered themselves unto God, and all believing men and believing women, and all truly devout men and truly devout women, and all men and women who are true to their word, and all men and women who are patient in adversity, and all men and women who humble themselves [before God], and all men and women who give in charity, and all self-denying men and self-denying women, [38] and all men and women who are mindful of their chASTITY, [39] and all men and women who remember God unceasingly: for [all of] them has God readied forgiveness of sins and a mighty reward.

The punishment of violating this moral binding is also specified in Quran.Either of the violator would be punihsed as per law and not by individuals.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, October 10, 2008  -  9:07 AM Reply with quote
R; i think what tilawat has asked is about financial responsibilities for a woman
tilawat

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, October 11, 2008  -  12:16 AM Reply with quote
Roushan

Please read my post as corrected hereunder:

"How can an institution be maintained if all parties to it are not bound legally to do their part? It is perhaps the very fact - lack of any legal obligation for wife - that leads to 'kaaro kaari' as the husband has no legal means to deal with his wife."

My point is that while the wife can enforce a legal claim against her husband the latter has no such facility available as the former is not bound by any legal obligation.
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Saturday, October 11, 2008  -  2:10 PM Reply with quote
I am from india and have a little idea about karo kari through newspapers.To me it means women are killed in the name of honour(ghairat).Do tell me if i m wrong.
I need to know it from you that how lack of any legal obligation leads to karo kari,will you plz illustrate your point,to make it easy for me.
for me "no any obligation " for wife doesnt mean she is allowed to do anything ,even extra affairs.

hope your make it clear.
tilawat

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, October 12, 2008  -  1:10 AM Reply with quote
raushan bhai

You say:

"I am from india and have a little idea about karo kari through newspapers.To me it means women are killed in the name of honour(ghairat).Do tell me if i m wrong.
I need to know it from you that how lack of any legal obligation leads to karo kari,will you plz illustrate your point,to make it easy for me.
for me "no any obligation " for wife doesnt mean she is allowed to do anything ,even extra affairs.
hope your make it clear."

You have rightly hit the nail on the head. In Pakistan people have extreme and contradictory view about the 'gender issue'. There are modern feminists - surprisingly, more men than women - who interpret 'this no obligation for wife' as a license for the woman to do whatever she likes. On the other hand in the old tribal section (Taliban type) of the society people interpret it to mean abject slavery for the wife. I think the Holy Quran's verse 34, of Sura 4, supports more the latter view than the former.

Any how, these contradictory views and absence of any legal obligation for the wife, are causing a lot of trouble for the Paki society, of which one result is the increase in 'Karokari', which you rightly interpreted as killing women for 'honour' (gheirat).
saba2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, October 12, 2008  -  8:17 AM Reply with quote
what I understand is that is there any law which gives a husband a right to seek justice from the civil courts if he feels his wife has not fulfilled her responsibility. This question can best be answered by a lawyer, so anyone please do oblige.
It is the husbands responsibility to to provide for the needs for his wife. If the wife goes out to work then it changes the balance of power in the family structure. She becomes economically independent and probably does not have enough time to dedicate to her family.This does pose a threat to the family structure and requires other family members specially husband to undersand what it means for a wife to work.
mbellos

NIGERIA
Posted - Monday, October 13, 2008  -  11:40 PM Reply with quote
Assalameleikum warahmatullah.The basic principle and family setup given by Islam is indeed the way to serenity in both the worlds but we must keep in mind that Islam is applicable in changing situations. Present inflation across the globe specially in the West cannot give the luxury to wives not earn and remain a consumer only; however if one ralizes the importance of her presence in the house and specially for the children's upbringing, thereby for the family's stability & strength, there are multiple ways in which she can earn by her husband's side by doing flexible and part time jobs suiting the family's needs, self employment, working from home-which on one hand saves the husband from unnecessary stress on mind and health, from him getting involved in any unlawful,unethical,unislamic ways of earning money,her support in keeping familys income reasonably decent and on the other hand earning reward for this sadaqa or charity on her part. From her earnings, she can also help other deserving relatives, Isamic causes and other welfare works.For example here in Nigeria we have big and extended famlies.People have to travel abroad for earning.If women don't work with their men, they can't even think of having food for them and children.
When you talk about modesty, it is the duty of both husband and wife.
If they dont do it, they lose eachother,they lose children, family is broken. They get bad diseases like AIDS in our country. This is enough punishment for both in this world.Punishment in
the Hereafter is yet to come.
tilawat

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, November 9, 2008  -  12:02 AM Reply with quote
"It is all s..."

Dear T; Due to the illicit word you have used on SI forums, you are restricted from posting for 3 weeks.
It is best to keep your temper under control whilst sending your post specially to your Sisters' Forums. The beloved Prophet sws adviced to be much more kinder to them.
You are a senior partcipant of ours and we shall be delighted to have you back
Tip for Members: If any post makes you angry and shaytan takes over you and guides you to swear,you may write the indecent words in an email to yourself and then delete it, asking forgiveness from Allah, instead of sharing the filth with others.

Edited by: hkhan on Monday, November 10, 2008 8:35 PM

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker