Powered by UITechs
Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Wednesday, September 17, 2008  -  4:32 PM Reply with quote
muslim community in the west. victim mentality?

w'assalam
i was also called by times radio in the clinic this morning and afternoon to opine on this statement.

wat i said was that i do not blame muslims for having a paranoid state of mind since the sad incidents of 7/7 and 9/11 and it is difficult to face hatered which obviously comes our way sometimes in the form of comments or expressions; but that i feel we must try and take things positively-continue our good works in building britain which we hv been doing already-ignore trivial things-however we must take any bigger issues to the systems like racial equality, ethnic minorities rights etc instead of suffering in silence. i also mentioned that most people around us hv been friendly; we do not fully blame some of the other communities either for the fear they hv developed about muslims which comes after the hype in the media but we do condemn the naughty ones who take advantage of such incidents 'n use it for racial and religious discrimination..
womens rep. in uk mosques
also they asked me if i thought there was enough representation of women in the uk mosques to which i said women are allowed to join in the prayers in most uk masjids but representation in mosque committees is something we are struggling for. although the MINAB constitution entails that mosque committees shud hv one woman and one youth rep but most mosque committees are formed of traditional 'buzurgs' /elderly of the community and despite requesting, most are not happy to offer a space to a woman and a youth on the decision making table.

rgds
h

Dr.Henna Khan
Slough/Reading

AA

the MP has a fair point: i personally would refuse visas for imams who do not pass an english test

but if he is suggesting that racism & poverty are not important causes of isolation, social problems and extremism then he is misguided

furthermore, isues wrt foreign affairs are one of the core parts of being a muslim
the concept of 'ummah' is under fierce attack by those who wish to destroy the core of what it means to be a muslim: we should remain steadfast in remembering its importance and teach our children this too

i agree we should have concern for people around us and domestic issues are obviously critical in creating the environment in which we live and our children are raised

when i read the article with references to a 'victim mentality' and pre-occupation with a foreign country, i did wonder if the MP had not got the wrong faith community!

Wasalaam
Tahir

He may have been wrong about 42 day detention but he seems to be correct about this one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7619642.stm

Muslims have 'victim mentality'

Mr Shafiq said the real issues facing Muslims are poverty, crime and racism

British Muslims are guilty of a "victim mentality" and should take greater responsibility for their lives, a Muslim Labour MP has argued.

Sadiq Khan also said more British Muslims must tackle sexism, learn English and condemn forced marriages.

The representative for Tooting, south London, made his comments in a report for the Fabian Society think tank.

Muslim youth organisation the Ramadhan Foundation said Mr Khan was out of touch with grassroots Muslims.

'Liberal anxiety'

In his report, entitled Fairness, Not Favours, Mr Khan said: "We need to take more responsibility for our own families, ignore those who propagate conspiracy theories, and above all we need to leave behind our victim mentality.

"We must all agree that honour killings are murder and forced marriages are kidnapping. These traditions have no place here or anywhere."

He also claimed that Muslims in Britain are pre-occupied by foreign policy and not concerned enough about day-to-day political issues.

"Muslims need to recognise childcare is as important as Kashmir," he said.
We do not have a victim mentality but are victims of this government's failure

Mohammed Shafiq
Ramadhan Foundation

Assistant whip Mr Khan said there was no question that people coming to live in Britain should learn English and he criticised "liberal anxiety" about the issue.

"The requirement to learn English is not colonial. English is a passport to participation in mainstream society - jobs, education and even being able to use health services," he said.

"Having poor English creates multiple barriers to work; it decreases your confidence, makes it harder to gain other skills and qualifications and increases the likelihood of unemployment and your withdrawal from the labour market."

Islamophobia

Mohammed Shafiq, chief executive of the Ramadhan Foundation, said the "real issues" holding Muslims back were "poverty, crime, racism and Islamophobia".

He said: "We do not have a victim mentality but are victims of this government's failure to deal with real issues, issues around poverty, tackling the underlying causes of why there is terrorism in this country."

He said the Ramadhan Foundation had a long history of opposing forced marriages and so-called honour killings.

Mr Shafiq added there was no conflict between a concern for the fate of Muslims abroad and an awareness of the domestic political issues of Britain.
Muslims are facing increasing amounts of Islamophobia and discrimination so if some have a victim mentality, can you blame them?

Shaista Gohir
Muslim Voice UK

However Shaista Gohir, director of both Muslim Voice UK and Muslim Women's Network UK, agreed that more needed to be done by Muslims to tackle sexism, forced marriages and honour killings.

She also agreed it was important for British Muslims to speak English.

Ms Gohir, who is a government adviser on Muslim women, told the BBC: "Not being able to speak English is not only a barrier to integration but is also disempowering for individuals, so I agree that Muslims who do not speak English need to make more of an effort to learn."

But she said it was an over-generalisation to say Muslims had a victim mentality.

She said: "Muslims are facing increasing amounts of Islamophobia and discrimination so, if some have a victim mentality, can you blame them?"

"Yes Muslims do need to take greater responsibility of their lives but so do other communities that suffer problems such as under-age drinking and increased gun and knife crime."

In July the government launched a package of measures responding to calls from Muslim communities to support the promotion of citizenship and shared values, said a Department of Communities and Local Government spokesman
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Thursday, September 18, 2008  -  2:05 AM Reply with quote
quote:

...........i said women are allowed to join in the prayers in most uk masjids but representation in mosque committees is something we are struggling for..............

"..... behind every great man there's a woman......"
I suppose you have undestood what I wish to convey.

Or shall I put it this way:

"BEHIND EVERY GREAT MAN (AT THE MOSQUE COMMITTEE) THERE IS A GREAT WOMAN (AT HOME)"

Edited by: aboosait on Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:07 AM
StudyingIslamUK

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, September 18, 2008  -  9:09 AM Reply with quote
Assalamualaykum Aboosait. Dr.Khan is on a break now untill Eid and we are hoping she will give a nice and detailed reply on return. However from all your posts, you are clearly a follower of traditional and cultural Islam, so we expect not a different view from you about women.Unfortunately which does not match the position given to women by Allah and His Prophet Muhammad SAW. You may also read the special issue of our Renaissance Journal, Misconceptions about Islam & Women.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Thursday, September 18, 2008  -  11:12 AM Reply with quote
quote:

Assalamualaykum Aboosait. Dr.Khan is on a break now untill Eid and we are hoping she will give a nice and detailed reply on return...........

Wa Alaikum assalam w.r.w.b.

Thanks for the info. Jazakallahu khair.

quote:

You may also read the special issue of our Renaissance Journal, Misconceptions about Islam & Women.

If it is online, kindly provide a link.
StudyingIslamUK

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, September 18, 2008  -  11:49 PM Reply with quote
Dear Aboosait.The link to the journal is on home page.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Friday, September 19, 2008  -  1:57 AM Reply with quote
quote:

Dear Aboosait.The link to the journal is on home page.

I asked you for a link to the article. I had to spend some time to locate it through the link to the journal on the home page. Thanks anyway.

The link to that article is:

http://www.monthly-renaissance.com/issue/content.aspx?id=154

That is a special edition containing all the related articles which were published earlier.

I have saved those articles in my hard disc. Yet to be double sure I read the whole page over again and find my comments on Dr. (Ms.) Khan's post in no way contradicting the views of your mentor.

Allah s.w.t. says,

الرِّجَالُ قَوَّامُونَ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ بِمَا فَضَّلَ اللَّهُ بَعْضَهُمْ عَلَى بَعْضٍ وَبِمَا أَنفَقُوا مِنْ أَمْوَالِهِم ا (٣٤:٤)

Men are the guardians of women,because God has given the one more preference over the other, and because they support them. (4:34)

Men are the guardians of women. Therefore let your women put their trust in their men who are managing the affairs of their Masjid. They no doubt have every right to advice them. Why then do they insist that a few of them should sit shooulder to shoulder with men in the committee meetings? Can you give me an example of any such mixed gender meetings that took place during the days of the Prophet Sallahu Alaihi Wasallam or of the Noble Sahabah, (May Allah be pleased with them all)

And the Hadith that follows in that article clearly has the following direction from the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam to your men:
Treat women nicely".

Thus your rights are protected and safe in the hands of your men.

Edited by: aboosait on Friday, September 19, 2008 7:21 AM
mbellos

NIGERIA
Posted - Friday, September 19, 2008  -  11:46 AM Reply with quote
Dear Brother or Sister Aboosait India. Assalamoeleikumwarehmatullah. First of all you need to have a broad mind to understand what you read. Even if it is Quraan, The Book of God, you have to think and keep your mind open. You are reading everything with your chronic 'Saudi Fatwah Mind' so everything makes the meanings for you what you want to understand.You are looking at everything with the same glasses.

May be if you read some of the courses on this site it will help.
Becoming a part of Mosque Committee does not mean that a woman will leave her home or natural duties which she owes to her family. Why you get threatened? Why you feel so insecure being taken over by women? Or that she will leave you and your children and never come back . Here in Nigeria some of the learned Imams give women the opportunity to come and talk and these women use this right to give ideas and suggestions about ladies' and children's programmes in the mosques.If women are in the decision making bodies, they can convey the women's and children's concerns better to the brothers.It does not mean that they are there to fight with the brothers of the committees.

These women should be encouraged and respected and the brothers and the Community should be thankful to them that they are doing extra work and taking so much burden upon themselves that they are doing their own duties and also these extra duties to help other women and children around them and specially the men should take their hats off to them because these women are saving their women and children and trying to bring guidance to them. Instead of criticizing them and passing comments on them.

I am sure if Prophet Mohammad Mustafa Salatu wassalaam, our leader and master and our teacher was alive today, he would keep such brave and courageous sisters like our Moderator sister Dr. Khan in the front lines instead of pushing and suppressing them behind because Mashalah Taala our Prophet sallallahuelehewasallam was a brave and confident man who trusted himself.

Not like some men of today who remain worried about losing their own seats and power if they let these skillful and bright women come forward.
This is the fear some men have which inclines them to make so called 'Islamic Laws' about women which are baseless and alien to Islam.

REMEMBER!! BEHIND EVERY SUCCESSFUL WOMAN ALSO THERE IS A DECENT AND OPEN MINDED MAN WHO TRUSTS HIMSELF AND TRUSTS HIS WIFE, MOTHER, SISTER OT DAUGHTER. NOT A PIECE OF JUNK WITH DOUBTS,CONFUSIONS, INSECURITIES, IGNORANCE AND COMPLEXES. SUCH MEN CAN NEVER BRING OUT THE SKILLS OF THEIR WIVES AND OTHER FEMALE RELATIVES AND THOSE POOR LADIES JUST SUFFER AT THEIR HANDS WITH ALL THEIR EDUCATION AND SKILLS THROWN OUT OF THE WINDOW AND HENCE THEIR CHILDREN ALSO LEFT BEHIND. ALL BECAUSE OF SUCH MANIAC MEN SADLY, WHO THINK THEY ARE OBEYING GOD BY OPPRESSING WOMEN!!!BECAUSE UNFORTUNATELYTHEY CANNOT COMPETE MEN IN THEIR FIELDS, THEY SHOW ALL THEIR BRAVERY BY OPPRESSING WOMEN, DISCOURAGING THEM OR EVEN BEATNG THEM, ALL IN THE NAME OF ISLAM AND GOD.mAY GOD REWARD THE ORGANIZERS OF THIS SITE AND GIVE THEM MORE POWER AND AUTHORITY WHO HAVE STOOD UP TO CLARIFY THESE MISUNDERSTANDINGS ABOUT WOMEN AND ISLAM.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Wednesday, September 24, 2008  -  9:33 AM Reply with quote
quote:

Dear Brother or Sister Aboosait India. Assalamoeleikumwarehmatullah.. ...

Wa Alaikum Assalam w.r.w.b dear brother/sister.

quote:

.............Even if it is Quraan,....... everything makes the meanings for you what you want to understand......

Before I read any further, please tell me where I have gone wrong in this translation I had submitted in my previous post which has drawn your kind atttention:

quote:

Allah s.w.t. says,

الرِّجَالُ قَوَّامُونَ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ بِمَا فَضَّلَ اللَّهُ بَعْضَهُمْ عَلَى بَعْضٍ وَبِمَا أَنفَقُوا مِنْ أَمْوَالِهِم ا (٣٤:٤)

Men are the guardians of women,because God has given the one more preference over the other, and because they support them. (4:34)

Edited by: aboosait on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:35 AM
mbellos

NIGERIA
Posted - Thursday, September 25, 2008  -  2:37 PM Reply with quote
Dear Aboosait India, Assalamoeleikumwarahmatullah
As I said before, to understand anything from anywhere you have to remove your Saudi Fatwah Glasses first . Read my post agin where I have explained what does it meen by men are gardians of women and that how great those men are who can take this very big responsbility. Closed minded men who are full of doubts and complexes cannot do this job.

(Please forgive for my English because in Nigeria this is not our first language.)
mbellos

NIGERIA
Posted - Thursday, September 25, 2008  -  3:01 PM Reply with quote
I also wanted to say that women with knowledge and skills can help men in great works.Allah SWT has given women such gentleness with so much power that she can do many things that men brothers failed to do. So these sisters help them. I am a lecturer. Only an ordinary lecturer, not something big or great. But I am able to coordinate with many difrent Communities where I live. Muslims and Non-Muslims, With many offices and Organizations, groups, political, non political. Our Mosque and other brothers of Muslim Community offices rely a lot on sisters like us. We help them with our time, money and skills by making communication easy for them which opens ways for them to go forward.Besides this I also do my work and duties of home. Look after my husband, my children and my parents and my in laws.My husband and children also help me. May be I am not doing Hundred Percent % everywhere but Allaah SWT has given women multiskills. This is a Gifft of God that Men donnt have
ANYWAY LIKE I SAID BEFORE, WE NEED GREAT MEN OF SKILLS AND STRONG IMAN TO UNDERSTAND AND PRACTICE ALL THIS. EVERY TOM,DICK AND HARRY CANNOT FIT IN THIS CATE-GORY. AND THEY DONT DESERVE TO GET HELP FROM THE GREAT MUSLIM WOMEN OF THEIR SOCIETY, BECAUSE THEY CANNOT GET RID OF THEIR MYTHS AND DOUBTS.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, November 11, 2008  -  9:09 AM Reply with quote
we believe that more of these are reqd to bridge the gaps due to lack of understanding and knowledge and to engage more people with education:

http://www.iengage.org.uk/home/1-news/122-engage-holds-another-successful-community-roadshow

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker