Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
loganc

CANADA
Topic initiated on Monday, August 11, 2008  -  9:46 PM Reply with quote
Book Recommendation

Salaam aliukum brothers and sisters in Islam,

I hope this e-mail finds you in good health and high Iman.

Of course the best of books for us are Islamic in nature, but I am going to suggest you to read a book that really blew my understanding of the world. As you know me, I am skeptical and so forth. This book was written by a non-Muslim so there aren't and conspiracy theories as sometimes our Ummah drifts toward. It is written by a lawyer and is very factual. The author was one of very few who has had access to meet with those detained at Guantanamo Bay, he meets with some of their families in Yemen and Jordan and also tells stories of the not-so-secret torture prisons around the world. It is a shocking book, and shocking to hear direct stories from these prisoners, held without charge or on false charges against one another forced at the hands of torture, how the torturers and guards deliberately force prisoners to do things against Islam (mentally, physically, sexually, etc.). I'll leave it at that, if this has peaked your interest, it is highly recommended:

Bad Men: Guantanamo Bay and the Secret Prisons - Clive Stafford Smith (2007)

You can get it used here: http://www.amazon.ca/Bad-Men-C-Stafford-Smith/dp/0753823527/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&;s=books&qid=1218486673&sr=8-3

Salaam aliukum

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker