<< Previous Page
1 2
Page 2 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
HandS

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, November 3, 2008  -  4:39 PM Reply with quote
In UK all cigarette packs will now have pictures on them of young dead people lying in the mortuary, damaged lungs, damaged teeth, diseased heart etc. This may help prevention further.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/od/tobaccostatistics/a/CigaretteSmoke.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4578527.stm
mbellos

NIGERIA
Posted - Monday, November 24, 2008  -  7:48 PM Reply with quote
Assalamoeleikumwarahmatullah. I hope the brothers and sisters trying to quit are doing well :P It is about Alcohol now. Media is showing the destruction from the early and late effects of Alcohol specially on younger generation. Grave diseases like Liver damage, destroyed mental health and even sad young deaths. Astaghfirullah min kulle zanbin. It is hight time we thought and acted about this giant monster facing us.
legrangedl

SOUTH AFRICA
Posted - Friday, May 8, 2009  -  5:15 PM Reply with quote
Just Wondering…

Recent discoveries proved that one glass of red wine every night can have several health benefits for the drinker due to it being rich in anti oxidants. However as we all know the consumption of wine or any other alcohol product is highly forbidden in Islam due to its intoxicating nature.

Now in contrast cigarettes with its nicotine causes a “head rush” or a relaxing sensation to the user, which is also an intoxicating stimulant. On top of that smoking as mentioned before has numerous toxins in the smoke that severely attacks the healthy cells of the smoker that ultimately cause cancer.

Now my question is, based on the above why is the smoking of cigarettes still permissible in Islam, when wine with its proven health benefits is haraam?
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, May 10, 2009  -  7:32 AM Reply with quote
welcome to si forums L
as for the red wine being beneficial to te cardiac muscle or any other benefit from the harmful things is just like giving sleeping pills & anxiolytics to everyone to give them a nice and peaceful sleep.
Qur'an says re:gambling and wine that although they have some benefits but more harms.

cigarettes or recreational and other drugs have not been mentioned in Qur'an by name but are understandibly classed as haram because of their quality of the damage to health, money, family, environment and life as a whole.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Sunday, May 10, 2009  -  10:01 AM Reply with quote
quote:

...........Now my question is, based on the above why is the smoking of cigarettes still permissible in Islam,..............
If you have seen the Mulla from India smoking beedis and cigarettes, it doesnt mean that it is permissible. Scholars have clarified that cigarette smoking is haram.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Sunday, May 10, 2009  -  10:04 AM Reply with quote
quote:

welcome to si forums L
as for the red wine being beneficial to te cardiac muscle or any other benefit from the harmful things is just like giving sleeping pills & anxiolytics to everyone to give them a nice and peaceful sleep.
Qur'an says re:gambling and wine that although they have some benefits but more harms.

cigarettes or recreational and other drugs have not been mentioned in Qur'an by name but are understandibly classed as haram because of their quality of the damage to health, money, family, environment and life as a whole.
Jazakallahu khair.
HandS

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, August 11, 2009  -  1:55 PM Reply with quote
Check out latest intensive projects from nhs for 'stop smoking'
as it has been clearly proved now that smokers have 50% low immunity compared to the background population, hence making it difficult to treat for any infection specially chronic illnesses.

similarly other plans and projects are in way for Drinking and it's negative consequences on health.
Appaarently, it's the whole life style of "Free Lancering", do what you want, not settling down in a disciplined or "Giving" life style. Just "wht I like", getting oneself indulged in smoking, drinking, holidays, free intermingling,ending up with various diseases, causing more and more money to the Health facilities, being rather a burden on the system and funds.

Even the people who are working hard otherwise & earning money, in free time they feel okay to indulge with the other activities thinking this is the best use of their free time and money.
This is taking the present generation no where but to a further downfall of health and credit.
viqaralam

USA
Posted - Sunday, August 30, 2009  -  6:45 PM Reply with quote
quote:

All in all, and everything said, I just wish that I could stop after over thirty years. It is my intention to utilize Ramadan, since it is my first experience, to quit smoking altogether since I have to not smoke during fast times! May Allah (ta'aala) will.

Ramadan is the best time to reduce or completely get rid of any addiction, in case you you start getting urges after Ramadan, help is available, use Nicotine patches, or gums on a tapered down dose, if you are in New York Call 311 and you can get in mail free.
HandS

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, September 1, 2009  -  11:25 PM Reply with quote
Dear Mr.Viqar alam. Thank you for your valuable advice. I am also trying to work on this issue in United Kingdom and will appreciate your advice and ideas. Although the cigarette packets clearly read in bold letters "Smoking Kills" but now these letters have become like an antibiotic to which people have become resistant. Apparently there will be pictures printed on it now, of rotten lungs, heart and liver. Many of our younger people still adapt smoking in teenage as something "COOL" to impress mates.It then easily goes on to weed and else.
viqaralam

USA
Posted - Thursday, September 3, 2009  -  12:00 AM Reply with quote
Yes, you are right, depression is one among other reasons of addiction. I still think addiction is more social than medical problem.
Young Muslims living in western society are now getting into it. Most of the time it starts from smoking cigarettes and develops into serious addiction to other drugs. Education in the light of Quranic guidance is necessary for young children and their parents. Those who are using drugs due to psychological issues need more intensive medical and psychiatric treatment and mental health therapy by a Muslim therapist who can educate the person in the light of Islamic teachings.
For smoking the best way to quit is combination of nicotine replacement therapy, emotional support and method to change personal habits or working on a program that helps to change behavior.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, December 27, 2009  -  3:11 PM Reply with quote
A man was smoking Huqqah (a traditional cigarre) with a 2 meter long pipe. Friend:Why are you smoking huqqah with such a long pipe?
Man:I am trying to keep away from smoking
HandS

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, June 7, 2010  -  12:19 PM Reply with quote
Check out new Links
Most people adapt it to release mental stress and tension. The ones who give up smoking tend to depend on other harmful things like chewable tobacco, otherwise may turn to release stress by anger and misbehaviour with other humans around. Therefore it's always important to suggest them alternatives like prayers, spirituality, deep breathing and meditation, yoga exercises and stuff like that.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Monday, July 25, 2011  -  3:24 PM Reply with quote
quote:

......... The ones who give up smoking tend to depend on other harmful things like chewable tobacco, otherwise may turn to release stress by anger and misbehaviour with other humans around.........
Nothing of the sort. On what authority do you say so?

quote:

Therefore it's always important to suggest them alternatives like prayers, spirituality,......
Prayer is not A sustitute for smoking. Well I would recomend the oen who has just given up smoking to carry a bottle of drinking water and sip a little water whenever (if at all) s/he feels the urge to puff.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

<< Previous Page
1 2
Page 2 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker