Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Topic initiated on Tuesday, July 3, 2007  -  11:06 AM Reply with quote
HOW and WHY

"˜Why is blood red in colour?' If you were to ask a doctor the reason, he would answer, "˜Because your blood contains millions of little red discs (5 millions to each cubic centimeter), each some seven thousandths of an inch in diameter, called the red corpuscles.

"˜Yes, but why are these discs red?'

"˜Because they contain a substance called haemoglobin, which, when it absorbs oxygen from the lungs, becomes bright red. That is why the blood in the arteries is scarlet. As it flows through the body, the blood gives up its oxygen to the organs of the body and the haemoglobin becomes brownish"”this is the dark blood of the veins.'

"˜Yes. But where do the red corpuscles with their haemoglobin come from?'

"˜They are made in the spleen.'

"˜That's marvellous, Doctor. But tell me, how is it that the blood, the red corpuscles, the spleen, and the thousand other things are so organised into one coherent whole, work together so perfectly that I can breathe, run, speak, live?'

"˜Ah! That is nature.'

"˜Nature!'

"˜When I say "˜"˜nature", I mean the interplay of blind physical and chemical forces.'

"˜But, Doctor, why do these blind forces always act as if they were pursuing a definite end? How do they manage to coordinate their activities so as to produce a bird which flies, a fish which swims, and me.... who ask questions?'.

"˜My dear friend, I a scientist, can tell you how these things happen. Do not ask me why they are like that.'

["˜Nature does not explain, she is herself in need of an explanation'.
]
salmant

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, July 3, 2007  -  12:02 PM Reply with quote
Very interesting indeed...

It is however often important to ask, whether it is useful to go for the WHY part? for the sake of knowledge acquisition?

Once I asked this to a learned scholar, he mentioned that if you believe in religion and the premise it presents to answer the metaphysical questions of our existence. The obvious answer to the WHY is that it all happened through the Word of God. So if you do pursue the WHY part, what you will eventually discover will be a confirmation of Word-of-God theory. But this is what you already know from your belief in religion, then how useful is such a pursuit?

The HOW part i.e. the interrelationship of different functions of things, what science is trying to answer, is more useful as it identifies predictable relationships, identifys models to explain phenomena happening in the real world. Therefore, as a human you are able to benefit from the existing phenomena, by utilizing the knowledge obtained through the "HOW quest"?

So is it necessary to go for WHY instead of HOW?
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Wednesday, July 4, 2007  -  9:33 AM Reply with quote
WHY is a limitless query ,can only be explained by WHO,who made things happen.WHO is essential coz intention is one of the WHYs and WHO only knows it.HOW can be explained in details and then in further details.
We should satisfy /limit ourselves with WHY at certain level since our knowledge too is limited.People get confused if they dont admit the fact of limited kowledge.
We as muslims suggested to start with belief(yaqeen)which is positive and easy way.The others who start with"doubt"end only with confusion.Moreover they do double standards.They believe a scientific theory perfect until it is refuted.Why not same with WHO?
salmant

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, July 4, 2007  -  10:15 AM Reply with quote
Quote: WHY is a limitless query ,can only be explained by WHO,who made things happen.WHO is essential coz intention is one of the WHYs and WHO only knows it

Reply: If we already know who is WHO, then whats the point in going further?

Quote: They believe a scientific theory perfect until it is refuted

Reply: No, actually they consider every scientific theory as false. The process of refutation works by going from 'more false' to 'less false'. Why? because due to our limited knowledge we can never reach the ultimate truth. If I may correct your sentence, they consider a scientific theory 'good enough' until it is refuted by a 'better one'. There isnt any confusion, you keep believing in the best available explanation of things, untill a better one comes. You ll keep moving from less yaqeen to more yaqeen.

Salman
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Wednesday, July 4, 2007  -  10:34 AM Reply with quote
quote:

If we already know who is WHO, then whats the point in going further?
This is quite normal and help us to know more(SIFAAT) about WHO.

quote:

If I may correct your sentence, they consider a scientific theory 'good enough' until it is refuted by a 'better one'.

YES,I should use' workable'instead of 'perfect'.
salmant

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, July 4, 2007  -  10:50 AM Reply with quote
Quote: This is quite normal and help us to know more(SIFAAT) about WHO.

Reply: More SIFAAT than He Himself has told us about?

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker