Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Tuesday, March 27, 2007  -  11:34 AM Reply with quote
I swear by the self acusing soul

075.01-075.15

Nay, I swear by the Day of Resurrection; Nay! I swear by the self-accusing soul., Does man think that We cannot assemble his bones? Nay, We are able to put together in perfect order the very tips of his fingers. But man wishes to do wrong (even) in the time in front of him. He questions: "When is the Day of Resurrection?" So when the sight becomes dazed, And the moon is eclipsed And the sun and moon are joined together, That Day will Man say: "Where is the refuge?" Alas! No refuge! Before thy Lord (alone), that Day will be the place of rest. Man shall on that day be informed of what he sent before and (what he) put off. Nay, man will be evidence against himself, Though he puts forth his excuses.

075.20-075.32

Nay! But you love the present life,And neglect the hereafter. (Some) faces on that day shall be bright, Looking towards their Lord; And some faces, that Day, will be sad and dismal, Knowing that there will be made to befall them some great calamity. Yea, when (the soul) reaches to the collar-bone (in its exit), And men say: Where is the wizard (who can save him now)? And he knoweth that it is the parting; And affliction is combined with affliction; That Day the Drive will be (all) to thy Lord! So he did not accept the truth, nor did he pray, But on the contrary, he rejected Truth and turned away!

075.36 -075.40

Does man think that he will be left uncontrolled, (without purpose)? Was he not a drop of sperm emitted (in lowly form)? Then he was a clot of blood, so He created (him) then made (him) perfect. Then He made of him two kinds, the male and the female. Has not He, (the same), the power to give life to the dead?

Islahi writes in his tafseer of this surah

The promise pertaining to nafs i lawaamah in itself is an unrefutable proof and witness about the occurance of the Day of Judgement.

Nafs i lawamah is not a seperate or distinct nafs ( soul) but it is an integral part of human soul. Allah has created the human soul in such a manner that it possesses tha ability to delinate right from wrong. Allah has created this guidance for success and failure, that the one who will protect his soul from wrongs will succeed and the one whose soul will succumb to wrongs will fail.

091.007 -091.010

And the soul and Him (Allah) Who made it perfect, Then He inspired it to understand what is right and wrong for it; He will indeed be successful who purifies it. And he will indeed fail who corrupts it.

Our soul on account of above, sometimes becomes overpowered by our desires and looses its balance and succumbs to performing wrong deeds. This tendancy of our soul is called nafs i amarraah by the Qur'an. Yousaf pbuh mentioned about the nafs (soul)

"Nor do I absolve my own self (of blame): the (human) soul is certainly prone to evil, unless my Lord do bestow His Mercy: but surely my Lord is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful."

This nafs ( soul)has the potential for good deeds too. Until it maintains its balance it reminds and tries to correct us of our wrong doing. It is the same soul that makes us feel bad when we see someone else do a wrong doing. This aspect of nafs is addressed by the Qur'an as nafs i lawaamah.

The means of maintaining the right balance of soul according to Qur'an is rememberance of Allah and the Day of Judgement. This strengthens our soul and does not let it succumb to wrong desires and reminds us as sson as we commit a wrong doing. If the person immediately seeks forgiveness the blemish is quickly washed away. The nafs (soul) that maintains such a balance is then called nafs i mutmainah ( the soul that is satisfied) This is attained by those who attain the hights ofsoul training. This soul will achieveon the Day of Judgement the status of Razia tum marzia.( Allah is pleased with them and they are pleased with Allah).

The potential and tendancy of recognising a wrong doing is inborn in human soul.The son of Adam pbuh Qabeel killed his brother Habeel due to jealousy, he then tried to hide his dead body, he was conscience he had done something wrong. If a person performs a sin he does not necessarily do it because he thinks he is doing a good deed. most often heis overpowered by desires or emotions. He/she may try to justify it , but had ithe same act performed by someone else, he would invariably would have pointed to the mistake. If one qqquestions or explores the conscience of asinful person, we may find that in most cases, even he/she may have respect and praise for good deeds though their own acts may be different. Human beings, since have lived together as a society or collectively, have in principle tried to carry out their dealings failrly and in an appropriate manner.

The question is that if their is a reminder and an inner correcting mechanism in our own conscience, then how is it possible that human beings are unaccountable in this world.How did we end up possessing nafs i lawaamah. Allah has cretaed a mini court of justice in each individual and human being is like a small universe. This mega universe also possesses a nafsi lawaamah and that is the Day of Judgement.Thus Allah has used the quality and ability of nafsi lawaamah in human being as a proof of the occurance of Qayamat and the Day of Judgement.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker