Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
oosman

USA
Topic initiated on Saturday, February 10, 2007  -  2:13 PM Reply with quote
queen rania: Muslim women don't have to wear veils

She said:

Islam does not require women to wear veils, Queen Rania al-Abdullah of Jordan has said in an interview, calling on Muslim moderates to "make their voices be heard."

"Islam neither requires one to be practising, nor to dress in one way or another," the stylish 36-year-old queen told the Italian daily Corriere della Sera during a visit to Rome on Friday.

"So imposing the veil on a woman is contrary to the principles of Islam," said Queen Rania, who is in Rome for the launch of a Group of Seven (G7) programme to develop vaccines against diseases that are endemic in poor countries.

"Unfortunately, after all the suspicion weighing on Islam, many people have begun to consider the veil as a political problem, but this is not the case," she told Corriere. "Wearing the veil is a free personal choice."

Queen Rania urged "all moderates to stand up and let their voices be heard."

She added: "Many people are frustrated in the Arab world. Many give in to the anger because they are accused of violence. But instead we should get up, explain who we are and what we believe in.

"Over the last three years, most victims of terrorism have been Muslim. So there's not a war between Muslims and non-Muslims, but between extremists and moderates of all the religions," the queen said.

"What is important is not to live in fear. The most dangerous (thing to do) is to give up and lose hope. The main enemy is not terrorism or extremism, but ignorance," she said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070209/wl_mideast_afp/jordanreligionislam;_ylt=AsVCSSAQxD4dAweSZvKmHN8DW7oF

--------------------------------------------------

We have already debated this so many times on this forum. The extremists and radical elements believe women should be forced to cover their heads, although they cannot bring up a single verse from the Quran that directly or explicitly says so. All they can do is bring up vague indirect conclusions that are just their whims.
salmant

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, February 14, 2007  -  8:32 AM Reply with quote
"Islam does not require women to wear veils"
What scholarly qualifications does Queen Rania has, to make such claims about Islam?
oosman

USA
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  3:49 AM Reply with quote
can you present an ayat from the holy Quran to counter her claim?

I don't think so - because it is not there.
salmant

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  6:52 AM Reply with quote
Whether it is or it isnt Islam is not being discussed, what I asked was whether she does have any scholarly qualifications to make such a claim.
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  9:06 AM Reply with quote
quote:

can you present an ayat from the holy Quran to counter her claim?

I don't think so - because it is not there.

oosman,
I register my protest.

We must verify whether "the Quotes"are Yahoo'claim or Queen's claim about veil.

Plz read below to know what her claims were.
It is also enough to teach us how cut-paste-technology helps to convert a news in sensational headlines just to increase the readership.

wassalam
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  9:16 AM Reply with quote
Friday, February 9, 2007
With Antonio Ferrari
Corriere della Sera

excerpts from Queen rania's interview With Antonio Ferrari,
Corriere della Sera :RANIA AL ABDULLAH,QUEEN OF JORDAN OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Do you feel, Your Majesty, today in the world, in our world, and in the Muslim world, that there is the will to know each other…are you an optimist in this climate, or are you a pessimist?

Queen Rania: I think that the will, will come from the need, and there certainly is a need. You know, if you look at our world today, there are so many divisions, there’s so much mistrust, there’s so much suspicion, and that is leading to a fragmented world, that lead sometimes to dangerous acts, acts of extremism, acts of intolerance, and sometimes terrorism so it is affecting our lives. I think, as I said, for societies to succeed in the 21st century, they really have to embrace diverse people from diverse backgrounds, they really have to succeed in multiculturism, and I think that need is going to be the impetus, or the reason that will make people reach out to one another and try to break through the misunderstandings. I think, you know, among the moderates, there is a will to reach out, there is a will to create bridges of understanding, but sometimes the moderates, their voices are sometimes not heard, and I think it is up to them to really stand up, to be more proactive and be more forceful in their message, and to really drown out the voices of extremists by fostering strong bonds.

Your Majesty, it Italy, in France and in other countries there is a lot of discussion about the veil, here there is a lot of confusion… a lot of ignorance what does it mean veil, perhaps we do not understand what does it mean or you were not about to explain what does it mean because I think that someone is giving the veil a political symbol, weight and not what is the veil…where do you find the problem of misunderstanding is?

Queen Rania: Unfortunately because Islam is being brought under suspicion over the last few years, people have started to look at the veil as a political issue. What is important, is the veil is a symbol of piety, of modesty, of devotion to God and sometimes a woman wears the veil because that is what is socially acceptable within her surroundings but it should never be viewed as something that can be divisive between communities and certainly sometimes I feel that there is so much judgement levelled at women based on what they are wearing. I always say we shouldn’t judge women by what is on their heads but by what is in their heads.
It is very dangerous when we start making assumptions about a person based on outward external façade. When I look at people when I visit the Arab world or abroad I try to pass judgement based on how they think, what they do, what their values are and not what they are wearing. It is very dangerous when you make judgements based on what they are wearing.

Because a lot of the Muslim societies feel marginalized, and feel that they have not been integrated well in some of the European societies and elsewhere and because some of the authorities are looking at Islam with suspicion, unfortunately this issue has become highly politicized so it carries a lot of political symbolism and that is something we have to fight against because it shouldn’t. How a woman dresses should not have so much of a political dimension to it.

It is a relationship between a woman and God and I think at the end of the day societies have to accept that in today’s world we will be different, outwardly and inwardly, but the idea is to try to create harmony nonetheless.

But of course we cannot accept coercion in Islam?

Queen Rania: There is no coercion in Islam. In Islam you are not supposed to force somebody to believe. As I said, Islam is all about conviction, it is all about belief and if you force someone to do something if they do not believe in it then that is against the whole essence of what Islam is all about. Islam is very much about intention and that is an essential part of Islam, intentions.
salmant

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  9:29 AM Reply with quote
Very interesting Raushan..., the quotes had totally changed the meaning of what she said. Thank you for providing the whole interview.
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, February 15, 2007  -  3:45 PM Reply with quote
also check out our special issue 'misunderstandings about women' in monthly Renaissance by Javed A. Ghamidi
www.monthly-renaissance.com
and Q&A on www.understanding-islam.org
oosman

USA
Posted - Friday, February 16, 2007  -  12:11 AM Reply with quote
The point is that the extremists have no right to impose their own screwed up interpretation of religion onto other people. They impose the head covering as if it was a decree ordained by God Himself!

Here is another example of these people imposing their will onto the people and becoming the self proclaimed guardians of religion - they think they are imposing virtue and stopping vice:

Barbers warned over beard shaving
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6354803.stm

The interesting thing is that I do not recall any hadith or incident where the prophet himself forced others to keep beards - and yet these mullahs are threatening people of consequences if they do not follow what they believe is the sunnah of the prohpet!

Edited by: oosman on Friday, February 16, 2007 12:13 AM
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Saturday, February 17, 2007  -  12:41 PM Reply with quote
The "unsigned"leaflet cant be a reliable source for the news.

On the other note,it can also be seen as fear in the hearts of those who want to put fear in others.

Islam has not prescribed any "cosequences"for those who shave the beard or shaving beard to earn their livelihood.So threatening others for the same is something that has nothing to do with Islam.

In fact ,we have people who speak and do whatever they want and others who follow them blindly:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/urdu/pakistan/story/2007/02/070216_fake_peer_sen.shtml

I wish n wait a" leaflet"duly signed or unsigned against the above from those who are really interested in issuing such things.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker