Powered by UITechs
Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Topic initiated on Wednesday, November 15, 2006  -  1:38 PM Reply with quote
Where is the mind in the Heart or Brain?

The language of Quran is an unparallel marvel. It uses all kinds of idioms, similes, parables and allegories. Moreover Quran was revealed in Arabi-e-Mubeen i.e. clear cut perspicuous language.

Verily this is a revelation from the Lord of the Worlds: With it came down the Spirit of Faith and Truth. To thy heart and mind that thou mayest admonish. In the perspicuous Arabic tongue. (26:192-95)

Quranic language used the phrases used by the Arabs. Now what does one understand by the following verse: Have We not expanded for you your breast? (94:1) Would you call it unscientific or a literary phrase? The breast does not dilate. If at all, it will be a disease.

Digressing from the literal translation it can be said that the above in English as: Have We not opened your heart for your understanding? How can heart be opened? It is not Zoological direction but a beautiful way of expression. Heart, in the literature of almost all languages is mentioned when referring to understanding, pardon, bravery, kindness, passion and many other attributes. There is no doubt about memory being related to brain but doesn’t one ever speak the phrase learning or memorizing by heart. We do not measure the magnificence of a language by the yardstick of mathematical formulae. Strictly in medical terms, enlargement of heart is a fatal disease but large heartedness is a very desirable attribute.

As a user of excellent Arabic, Quran has made use of heart in many a context, for example: “They have hearts wherewith they understand not” (7:179) Do not evaluate this in terms of medical science until the medical science acknowledges the association of heart with functions other than pumping of blood. It is not impossible. The science is continuously unfolding the secrets unknown to man earlier.

You must have passed through such state of mind when your mind’s wisdom accepted and decided the essentiality of certain act but your heart was not willing. In Hindustani, we say: Dil Nahin Chhah Raha Hai.

Wait till the science explains it accurately.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Saturday, November 18, 2006  -  12:56 PM Reply with quote
quote:

The language of Quran is an unparallel marvel. It uses all kinds of idioms, similes, parables and allegories. Moreover Quran was revealed in Arabi-e-Mubeen i.e. clear cut perspicuous language.

Verily this is a revelation from the Lord of the Worlds: With it came down the Spirit of Faith and Truth. To thy heart and mind that thou mayest admonish. In the perspicuous Arabic tongue. (26:192-95)

Quranic language used the phrases used by the Arabs. Now what does one understand by the following verse: Have We not expanded for you your breast? (94:1)

As a user of excellent Arabic, Quran has made use of heart in many a context, for example: “They have hearts wherewith they understand not” (7:179)

Wait till the science explains it accurately.

Here is an explanation given by the present day scholar Dr.Zakir Naik

. Allah has set a seal on the heart of the Kuffar
The Glorious Quran says: “As to those who reject Faith it is the same to them Whether thou warn them or do not warn them; They will not believe.

“Allah hath set a seal on their hearts and on their hearing and on their eyes is a veil Great is the penalty they incur.” [Al-Quran 2:6-7]

2. The word qalb in Arabic means heart as well as intelligence
The Arabic word qalb used in these verses means the heart. It also means intelligence. Thus the above verses also mean that Allah has put a seal on the intelligence of the kuffaars (unbelievers) and they will not understand and believe.

3. In the Arabic language heart is also used as a centre of understanding
In the Arabic language the word ‘heart’ is also used to connote one’s centre of understanding.

4. Several words used in English language whose literal meaning is different
Even in English language there are several words which are used to explain something, though the literal meaning of these words are different. Consider the following examples

a. Lunatic - Struck by the moon:
The word ‘lunatic’ literally means struck by the moon. Today people use the word lunatic for a person who is insane or mentally unstable. People very well know that a mad or a mentally unstable person is not struck by the moon. Yet even a medical doctor uses this word. This is normal in the evolution of a language.

b. Disaster - An evil star
The word ‘disaster’ literally means an evil star. Today the word disaster is used for a great or sudden misfortune or calamity. We know very well that a misfortune has nothing to do with an evil star.

c. Trivial - Three roads meet
The word ‘trivial’ literally means where three roads meet. Today the word ‘trivial’ is used for something of small nature or little importance. We know very well that if something is of small value it has nothing to do with where three roads meet.

d. Sunrise and Sunset
‘Sunrise’ literally means rising of the sun. Today when the word ‘sunrise’ is used most of the people know that the earth is rotating and is moving in relation to the sun. Most of us know that the sun does not rise during sunrise. However even an astronomer uses the word ‘sunrise’. Similarly we know that during sunset, the sun does not actually set.

5. In the English language heart is the centre of love and emotion
In the English language heart means an organ in the body which pumps blood. The same word heart is also used for the centre of thought, love and emotion. Today we know that brain is the centre of thought, love and emotion. Yet while expressing emotions a person is likely to say “I love you from the bottom of my heart”. Imagine a scientist telling his wife, “I love you from the bottom of my heart” and the wife replies, “Don’t you even know the basics of science, that the brain is responsible for the emotions and not the heart? In fact you should say I love you from the bottom of my brain.”

6. Arabs know that the word heart in Arabic is also used for centre of thought and understanding
No Arab will ever ask the question as to why Allah has sealed the hearts of the kafir because he knows that in this context it refers to the centre of thought, understanding and emotions.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, November 21, 2006  -  12:54 AM Reply with quote
Text2. The word qalb in Arabic means heart as well as intelligence
The Arabic word qalb used in these verses means the heart. It also means intelligence. Thus the above verses also mean that Allah has put a seal on the intelligence of the kuffaars (unbelievers) and they will not understand and believe.
Text
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Tuesday, November 21, 2006  -  3:06 PM Reply with quote
quote:

What I heard Zakir Naik saying was that "sadr" means intelligence; I didn't hear him say "qalb" means intelligence. But since you're saying that he did say it, I won't go against it; I believe you.

The famous translator of the Holy Qur'an, 'Abdullah Yoosuf 'Ali, said that in the Arabic language, the heart is the centre of love, affection, and other attributes; thus it is also the centre of intelligence. I hope I'm presenting the exact meaning of what he said.

And Allah knows best.

Assalamu Alaikum.w.r.w.b

I saw the video clippings of the speech you are talking about which was telecast by Qtv a few days back.

But what I have quoted is from an article in Islamic Voice published from Bangalore, India the link for this is http://www.islamicvoice.com/december.2000/religion.htm
Nida_e_Khair

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, October 13, 2023  -  9:10 PM Reply with quote
السلام عليكم
I left this forum many years ago, and had requested the admins/managers to delete all my posts.
Since they have conveniently ignored my request, I advise the readers to ignore my posts, and I openly retract from anything I said that was against the Qur'aan, Sunnah or way of the salaf.
I also free myself from this website, for its 'aqeedah and manhaj is not what the salaf were upon.

Learn true Islaam instead of wasting your time listening to people's opinions on forums.

(Posted by member, Nida_e_Khair)

www.tawhidfirst.com (English)

www.imamdarimi.com (Urdu)

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker