Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
xxbasxx

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Sunday, October 29, 2006  -  3:37 AM Reply with quote
-Confused!!-

Assalamualaikum first of all, Eid Mubarak!

i am, as you may have guessed, CONFUSED! i came across another verse in the Qura'an that i didnt understand and i'd apprecuate it very much if someone cleared it up for me

Surah 38 *Su'ad*, vs 17 to 26:

Oh Prophet have patience at what they utter and tell them the story of Our servant David, who was a man of great strength. He turned to Allah in every matter. We had subdued for him the mountains which joined with him in praise every morning and evening. The birds would gather together: they all turned to his (hymns of) praise. We had strengthened his kingdom, had given him wisdom to pronounce sound judgments. Has the story of the litigants who had entered into his upper chamber by climbing over the wall, reached you? When they came before David he was alarmed to see them. They said, "Have no fear we are two parties in a suit, one of which has wronged the other, so decide between us rightly: do not be unjust and guide us to the right way. This is my brother: he has 99 ewes and i only have 1 ewe. He said to me, 'give this ewe also to be in my charge, and he has prevailed over me in dispute.'"
David replied, "this person has certainly wronged you in demanding your ewe to be added to his ewes. and the fact is that the people who live together often wrong one another; the only exception is those who believe and do good works, and they are a few."
(While he said this) David realised that We had, in fact, tried him. So he asked forgiveness of his Lord and fell down prostrate and turned (to Him).

i dont get it, what was David (as)'s error, why did he have to ask for forgiveness? why did he fall prostrate? how had Allah tried him?

id be very very grateful if someone could please explain the latter to me

Wassalam .xXx.
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Sunday, October 29, 2006  -  8:18 AM Reply with quote
Brother, I enclose my very limited understanding on this.I would be grateful for someone knowledgable to correct me. In my opinion these verses have been best elaborated by Maulana Maudoudi in Tafheem ul Qur'an.If you can read urdu and have access to it then you can read directly.

He quotes the original incident quoted in the book of Samuel 2 chapter 12 (1-11)

the Lord sent the prophet Nathan to David. Nathan went to him and said " There were wo men, who lived in the same town; one was rich and the other poor. The rich man had many cattle and sheep. While the poor man had only one lamb, which he had bought. He took care of it, and it grew up in his home with his children. He would feed it with some of his own food, let it drink form his cup and hold it in his lap. The lamb was like a daughter to him. One day a visitor arrivd at the rich man's home. The rich man didn't want to kill one of his own animals to prepare a meal for him; instead, he took the poor man's lamb and cooked a meal for his guest.
David was very angry with the rich man and said," I swear by the living Lord that th man who did this ought to die. For having done such a cruel thing. He must pay back four times as much as he took."
"You are the man" Nathan said to David."And this is what the Lord God of Israel says:"I made you king of Israel and rescued you from Saul. I gave you his kingdom and his wives, I made you king over Israel and Judah. If this had not been enough, I would have given you twice as much. Why then have you disobeyed my commands? Why did you do this evil thing? You had Uriah killed in battle;you let the ammonities kill him, and then you took his wife.....
"I have sinned against the Lord," David said.

This is the version of the Bible. The people of the Book believe that Hazrat Dawud pbuh fancied the wife of Uriah. He sent Uriah to a war and had him killed and then married his wife. The referance to many sheep being his wealth and wives and the poor man with one sheep being Uriah and his one wife.

Accrording to Maulana Maudoudi Hazrat Dawood pbuh had desired from Uriah, if he would divorce his wife so that he could marry her. This was a request from the king who was immesnsely powerful towards a common officer and as such though a request, Uriah felt obliged to concede it. Thus prior to this happening , Allah sent two persons to Hazrat Dawood pbuh with this hypothetical scenario. Maulana further adds that the emphasis in this story as narrated in the Qur'an is that " He has prevailed over me in dispute" In other words he is rich and powerful and I am poor and weak thus even if Uriah did not want to agree to the request he felt that he had no option.

Hazrat Dawood at this stage realised that Allah had send these people to correct him of his mistake. He immediately fell in sajdah and asked for repentance.

The following verses suggest that Allah had accepted his forgiveness.

There are three other aspects from the story.
1. According to Maulana. Uriah did go and fight a war and was killed and hazrat Dawood pbuh married his wife after his death, uninitiated by hazrat Dawood pbuh.

2. Where this incident is mentioned in the Qur'an there is a sajdah. which is where the prophet Dawood did sajdah in repentance. We have a question about sajdah in the forum at present and this is one place where it is claimed by some that when prophet Mohammad pbuh would come in recitation would also perform sajdah.

It also highlights that prophets were human and did make mistakes.

Allah knows best
Nida_e_Khair

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, October 14, 2023  -  7:48 PM Reply with quote
I advise you all to learn true Islaam instead of wasting your time listening to people's opinions on forums.

www.tawhidfirst.com (English)

www.abukhadeejah.com (English)

www.imamdarimi.com (Urdu)

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker