solomon

USA
Topic initiated on Saturday, September 16, 2006  -  11:15 PM Reply with quote
the jinn...

definition, please

raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Sunday, September 17, 2006  -  9:16 AM Reply with quote
Jinn, literally means hidden. They are invisible because their bodies are not formed of matter. They are not secretive but contrary to the fables, they ordinarily have no powers to interact with human beings.

The jinn is a different type of creation from us, yet, like us, they have been given freedom of choice in the question of faith and belief. Therefore, they are required to believe in Islam in the same way as human beings. Surah 72 of the Qur’an is entitled Al-Jinn and it speaks of some of them listening to the Qur’an and believing in it. The same incident is also mentioned in Surah 45, Al-Ahqaf. From both reports of the event we learn that they were also required to believe in the message of the Prophet Moses. They include some believers and some unbelievers, which are in majority. However, we cannot see them, but they see us as mentioned in Surah 7, Verse 27. They are created from a totally different substance. While we are created from clay, they are created out of fire.

The jinn cannot possess a human being or be in control of him or her. That Satan was allowed to appear to Prophet Abraham does not mean that he has a free reign to harm people. He could not do that with Abraham. Nor can the jinn do it. When people say that a certain person is possessed, they simply try to explain a severe condition of a mental illness. Mental or psychological diseases can play on people in a variety of ways. Many such diseases can now be treated. They cannot be attributed to the jinn, in the same way as the jinn are not responsible for our physical illnesses.

Can they harm us? We do not have anything in the Qur’an or the authentic Sunnah to suggest so. It is more accurate to say that they have their own world and we have ours.

We have to draw a particular distinction. Satan belongs to the jinn. He and his offspring are among the unbelievers of the jinn. They try hard to persuade us to commit sins and acts of disobedience of God. But they are limited to promptings and trying to encourage us to disobey God. They have no power over us to force us into such actions. Anyone who is a good believer will be able to resist them easily.

YUSUFALI: And Satan will say when the matter is decided: "It was Allah Who gave you a promise of Truth: I too promised, but I failed in my promise to you. I had no authority over you except to call you but ye listened to me: then reproach not me, but reproach your own souls. I cannot listen to your cries, nor can ye listen to mine. I reject your former act in associating me with Allah. For wrong-doers there must be a grievous penalty."

Here satan clearly says he doesnt have any authority over human being,so its false to believe that he can take any one in his possession.

“Whenever any dark suggestion from Satan touches them, the God-fearing think of God, and they begin to see things clearly, even though their (godless) brethren would like to draw them into error.” There is no suggestion in these verses, or indeed anywhere else in the Quran or the Sunnah that Satan may be in control of man’s faculties. In fact, the reverse is true: these verses suggest that Satan fails to achieve his purpose with the God-fearing. How else would they remember God? It is through this remembrance that they reject the dark suggestion Satan makes to them. This includes thoughts of disobedience to God, image of falsehood, etc. There are certainly two sources of evil thoughts in the human mind: Satan and one’s own soul, or desires. To resist both is the mark of piety and God-fearing. It is done all the time by those who have a good perception of God, believe in Him and are committed to obeying Him.

No one likes to be enslaved by anyone and the Jinn being enslaved resists. As their bodies are made up of energy (instead of matter) their attack is through mind of a person. Apart from being dangerous, enslaving Jinns is unlawful as they are free creature endowed with a free will. Jinns can reside anywhere but they usually reside in abandoned places.
Those among them who are fond of learning may reside in religious schools of learning temporarily without disturbing or interacting with students from men. Stories of their interaction with religious teachers are mostly a myth .
solomon

USA
Posted - Tuesday, September 19, 2006  -  1:35 AM Reply with quote
THE QU'RAN

YUSUFALI: And[[color=#FF0000] the Jinn race, [/color] We had created before, from the fire of a scorching wind.

YUSUFALI: Behold! We said to the angels, "Bow down to Adam": They bowed down except Iblis. He was one of the Jinns, and he broke the Command of his Lord. [color=#990000]Will ye then take him and his progeny as protectors rather than Me? [/color] And they are enemies to you! Evil would be the exchange for the wrong-doers!

YUSUFALI: Yet they make the Jinns equals with Allah, though Allah did create the Jinns; and they falsely, having no knowledge,[color=#CC0000] attribute to Him sons[CHRISTIANS[/color]] and daughters. Praise and glory be to Him! (for He is) above what they attribute to Him!
solomon

USA
Posted - Tuesday, September 19, 2006  -  1:42 AM Reply with quote
quote:

THE QU'RAN

YUSUFALI: And the Jinn race, We had created before, from the fire of a scorching wind.

YUSUFALI: Behold! We said to the angels, "Bow down to Adam": They bowed down except Iblis. He was one of the Jinns, and he broke the Command of his Lord. Will ye then take him and his progeny as protectors rather than Me? And they are enemies to you! Evil would be the exchange for the wrong-doers!

YUSUFALI: Yet they make the Jinns equals with Allah, though Allah did create the Jinns; and they falsely, having no knowledge,attribute to Him sons[CHRISTIANS] and daughters. Praise and glory be to Him! (for He is) above what they attribute to Him!

Brother, I get the impression they are human.
solomon

USA
Posted - Tuesday, September 19, 2006  -  1:51 AM Reply with quote
72.6": And that persons from among men used to seek refuge with persons from among jinn, so they increased them in wrongdoing:

Please, stop making the jinn supernatural.

Quick definitions (person)

noun: a human being (Example: "There was too much for one person to do")
noun: a person's body (usually including their clothing) (Example: "A weapon was hidden on his person")
solomon

USA
Posted - Tuesday, September 19, 2006  -  1:59 AM Reply with quote
"Men" refers to the original people of earth.

'...The existence of the jinn, or etheral beings like the angels (the former being the spiirits of evil and the latter being spirits of good), is a question quite distinct but, it is clear that the jinn spoken of here did not belong to this class...The jinn are also referred to in 46: 29-31, where they are made to say: "O our people, we have listened to a Book revealed after Moses, verifying that which came before it". This shows that they were Jews. The Jinn spoken of here are evidently Christians, as v. 3 shows.'

FROM THE FOOTNOTES OF MAULANA MUHAMMAD ALI
A TRANSLATOR OF THE "HOLY QU'RAN"
P. 1107
solomon

USA
Posted - Tuesday, September 19, 2006  -  2:03 AM Reply with quote
The Noble Qur'an - Al-Jinn 72:1-14

Say : "It has been revealed to me that a group of jinns listened (to this Qur'ân). They said: 'Verily! We have heard a wonderful Recital (this Qur'ân)! ...

...'And of us some are Muslims (who have submitted to Allâh, after listening to this Qur'ân), and of us some are Al-Qâsitûn (disbelievers those who have deviated from the Right Path)'. And whosoever has embraced Islâm (i.e. has become a Muslim by submitting to Allâh), then such have sought the Right Path."
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Sunday, October 1, 2006  -  12:26 PM Reply with quote
In Surah Al-Araf: 12, Al Hijr : 26-27 and Ar-Rahman : 14-19, it has been expressly stated that man was created out of clay and jinn out of fire.

In Surah Al Hijr: 27, it has been said that the jinn had been created before man. The same thing is testified by the story of Adam and Iblis, which has been told at seven different places in the Qur'an, and at every place it confirms that Iblis was already there at the creation of man. Moreover, in surah Al-Kahf: 50, it has been stated that Iblis belonged to the jinn.

In surah Al-Araf: 27, it has been stated in clear words that the jinn see the human beings but the human beings do not see them.

In surah Al-Hijr: 16-l8, surah As- Saaffat: 6-10 and surah Al-Mulk: 5, it has been said that although the jinn can ascend to the heavens, they cannot exceed a certain limit; if they try to ascend beyond that limit and try to hear what goes on in the heavens, they are not allowed to do so, and if they try to eavesdrop they are driven away by meteorites. By this the belief of the polytheistic Arabs that the jinn possess the knowledge of the unseen, or have access to Divine secrets, has been refuted. The same error has a]so been refuted in Saba: 14.

Al-Baqarah: 30-34 and Al- Kahf: 50 show that Allah has entrusted man with the vicegerency of the earth and the men are superior to the jinn. Although the jinn also have been given certain extraordinary powers and abilities an example of which is found in An-Naml 39, yet the animals likewise have been given some powers greater than man, but these are no argument that the animals are superior to man.

The Qur'an also explains that the jinn, like men, are a creation possessed of power and authority, and they, just like them, can choose between obedience and disobedience, faith and disbelief. This is confirmed by the story of Satan and the event of the jinn affirming the faith as found in Surahs Al-Ahqaf and Al-Jinn.

At scores of places in the Qur'an, it has also been stated that Iblis at the very creation of Adam had resolved to misguide mankind, and since then the Satanic jinn have been persistently trying to mislead man, but they do not have the power to overwhelm him and make him do something forcibly. However, they inspire him with evil suggestions, beguile him and make evil seem good to him. For this, see An-Nisa 117- 120, Al-Araf: 11-17, Ibrahim: 22, Al-Hijr: 30-42, An-Nahl 98-100, Bani Israil 61-65.

The Qur'an also tells us that in the pre Islamic ignorance the polytheistic Arabs regarded the jinn as associates of God, worshiped them and thought they were descended from God. For this, see A1-An'am: 100, Saba : 40-41, As Saffat: 158.

More on Jinns
Zulfee

USA
Posted - Tuesday, October 3, 2006  -  5:02 PM Reply with quote
quote:

Brother, I get the impression they are human.

Solomon, you are right, if you have something common with them.
aboosait

INDIA
Posted - Friday, November 17, 2006  -  5:25 PM Reply with quote
Question : The world of the Jinn

I have read in the Holy Qur'an what a jinn is, but I really don't understand what they really are. Can you please send me more information on them.
Peace be unto you!

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

The Qur’aan and Sunnah indicate that the jinn exist, and that there is a purpose for their existence in this life, which is to worship Allaah Alone, with no partner or associate.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meanings):
“And I (Allaah) created not the jinns and humans, except they should worship Me (Alone).” [al-Dhaariyaat 51:56].

“O assembly of jinns and mankind! Did there not come to you Messengers from amongst you, reciting unto you My Verses…?” [al-An’aam 6:130]

The world of the jinn is an independent and separate world, with its own distinct nature and features that are hidden from the world of humans. Jinns and humans have some things in common, such as the possession of understanding and the choice between the way of good and the way of evil.

The word jinn comes from an Arabic root meaning “hidden from sight”.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“… Verily he [Shaytaan] and his qabeeluhu [his soldiers from the jinn or his tribe] see you from where you cannot see them…” [al-A’raaf 7:27]

Allaah has told us in His Book the essence from which the jinn were created. He says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And the jinn, We created aforetime from the smokeless flame o fire.” [al-Hijr 15:27]

“And the jinns did He create from a smokeless flame of fire.” [al-Rahmaan 55:15].

According to a hadeeth narrated by ‘Aa’ishah, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels were created from light, the jinn were created from fire, and Aadam was created from that which has been described to you.” (Reported by Muslim, 5314).

Types of jinnAllaah has created different types of jinn. Among them are some who can take on different forms, such as dogs and snakes; some who are like flying winds with wings; and some who can travel and rest.

Abu Tha’labah al-Khushani said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘The jinn are of three types: a types that has wings, and they fly through the air; a type that looks like snakes and dogs; and a type that stops for a rest then resumes its journey.”

(Reported by al-Tahhaawi in Mushkil al-Athaar, 4/95, and by al-Tabaraani in al-Kabeer, 22/214. Shaykh al-Albaani said in al-Mishkaat (2/1206, no. 4148): al-Tahhaawi and Abu’l-Shaykh reported it with a saheeh isnaad).

The jinn and the sons of Aadam
Every individual among the sons of Aadam has a jinn who has been appointed to be his constant companion (qareen).

Ibn Mas’ood said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘There is not one of you who does not have a jinn appointed to be his constant companion.’ They said, ‘And you too, O Messenger of Allaah?’ He said, ‘Me too, but Allaah has helped me and he has submitted, so that he only helps me to do good.’” (Reported by Muslim, 2814).

Al-Nawawi said in his commentary on Muslim (17/175): “‘He has submitted’ … he became a believing Muslim. This is the apparent meaning.

Al-Qaadi said: Know that the ummah is agreed upon the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was protected from Shaytaan, physically and mentally, and with regard to his speech. This hadeeth contains a reference to the warning against the fitnah (temptation, trial) and whispers of the qareen (constant companion from among the jinn). We know that he is with us so we should beware of him as much as possible.”

Their powersAllaah has given the jinn powers that he has not given to humans. Allaah has told us about some of their powers, such as the ability to move and travel quickly. An ‘ifreet from among the jinn guaranteed to the Prophet Sulaymaan (peace be upon him) that he would bring the throne of the Queen of Yemen to Jerusalem in a moment faster than that needed for a man to get up from where he was sitting.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“An ‘ifreet (strong one) from the jinns said: ‘I will bring it [her throne] to you before you rise from your place (council). And verily, I am indeed strong, and trustworthy for such work.’ One with whom was knowledge of the Scripture said: ‘I will bring it to you within the twinkling of an eye!’ – then when Sulaymaan saw it placed before him, he said, ‘This is by the Grace of my Lord…’” [al-Naml 27:39-40].

The food and drink of the jinnThe jinn eat and drink. Ibn Mas’ood said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Someone from among the jinn called me, and I went with him and recited Qur’aan for them.’ He took us and showed us the traces of where they had been and the traces of their fires. They asked him for food and he said, ‘You can have every bone on which the name of Allaah has been mentioned that comes into your possession, as meat, and all the droppings as food for your animals.’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘So do not use [these things] for cleaning yourselves [after relieving oneself], for they are the food and provision of your brothers.’” (Reported by Muslim, 450).

According to another report: “A delegation of jinn from Naseebeen came to me, and what good jinn they are! They asked me for food and I prayed to Allaah for them, so that they would not pass by bones or droppings, but they would find food on them.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 3571).

The believing jinn may eat any bone on which the name of Allaah has been mentioned, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not permit them to have anything on which Allaah’s name has not been mentioned – those are for the kuffaar among the jinn.

The beasts of the jinnAccording to the hadeeth narrated by Ibn Mas’ood, that we have quoted above, the jinn asked the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) for provision, and he said to them: “…and [you can have] all the droppings as food for your animals.”

The dwelling-places of the jinnThe jinn live on this earth where we do. They are mostly to be found in ruins and unclean places like bathrooms, dunghills, garbage dumps and graveyards. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught us to take precautions when entering such places, by reciting the adhkaar (prayers) prescribed by Islam. One of these was reported by Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said: “When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) entered the toilet, he would say, ‘Allaahumma innee a’oodhu bika min al-khubuthi wa’l-khabaa’ith (O Allaah, I seek refuge with You from the evil ones, male and female).’” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 142; and Muslim, 375).

Al-Khattaabi explained that khubuth is the plural of khabeeth (evil or dirty – masculine form), and khabaa’ith is the plural of khabeethah (evil or dirty – feminine form), and that what is meant is male and female shayaateen.

Some jinns are Muslims and some are kaafirs

Allaah tells us that some of the jinn said (interpretation of the meaning):
“ ‘And some of us are Muslims, and of us some are al-qaasitoon (disbelievers – those who have deviated from the Right Path). And whosoever has embraced Islam, then such have sought the Right Path. And as for the qaasitoon, they shall be firewood for Hell.’” [al-Jinn 72:14-15]

The Muslims among the jinn are of different levels as regards righteousness and taqwa. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“[Some jinn said:] ‘There are among us some that are righteous, and some the contrary; we are groups, each having a different way (religious sects, etc.)’” [al-Jinn 72:11]

The story of how the first jinn of this ummah became Muslim was narrated by ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbaas, who said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went out with a group of his Companions heading for the marketplace of ‘Ukaaz. This was when the shayaateen were prevented from getting any news from heaven, and shooting stars had been sent against them.

The shayaateen went back to their people, who said, ‘What is the matter with you?’ They said, ‘We cannot get news from heaven, and shooting stars were sent against us.’ Their people said, ‘Nothing is stopping you from hearing news from heaven except some new event that must have happened. Go and look in the east and the west of the earth, and see if you can find out what it is that is stopping you from hearing news from heaven.’

Those who went out in the direction of Tihaamah came upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in Nakhlah, when he was on his way to ‘Ukaaz, and found him leading his Companions in Fajr prayer. When they heard the Qur’aan, they listened to it and said, ‘By Allaah, this is what is stopping us from hearing news from heaven.’

When they went back to their people, they said, ‘O our people, we have heard a wonderful Recital (the Qur’aan). It guides to the Right Path, and we have believed therein, and we shall never join (in worship) anything with our Lord (Allaah). [al-Jinn 72:2 – interpretation of the meaning].

Then Allaah revealed to His Prophet peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) the words (interpretation of the meaning): “Say (O Muhammad): ‘It has been revealed to me that a group of jinns listened (to this Qur’aan)…’ [al-Jinn 72:1],

and Allaah revealed to him what the jinn had said.” (reported by al-Bukhaari, 731).

Their reckoning on the Day of Resurrection

The jinn will be called to account on the day of Resurrection. Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, concerning the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “… but the jinns know well that they have indeed to appear (before Him) (i.e., they will be brought to account)” [al-Saffaat 37:158]:

“They will be brought to judgement.”

Saheeh al-Bukhaari, Baab Dhikr al-Jinn wa Thawaabihim wa ‘Iqaabihim.

Protection from the harm of the jinn
Because the jinn can see us while we cannot see them, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught us many ways to protect ourselves from their harm, such as seeking refuge with Allaah from the accursed Shaytaan, reciting Soorat al-Falaq and Soorat al-Naas (the last two Soorahs of the Qur’aan), and reciting the words taught by Allaah in the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning): “Say: ‘My Lord! I seek refuge with You from the whisperings (suggestions) of the shayaateen (devils). And I seek refuge with You, my Lord, lest they may attend (or come near) me.’” [al-Mu’minoon 23:97-98]

Saying Bismillaah (in the Name of Allaah) before entering one’s home, before eating or drinking, and before having intercourse will also keep the Shaytaan from entering the house or partaking with a person in his food, drink and sexual activity.

Similarly, mentioning the name of Allaah before entering the toilet or taking off one’s clothes will prevent the jinn from seeing a person’s ‘awrah or harming him, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “To put a barrier that will prevent the jinn from seeing the ‘awrah of the sons of Aadam, let any one of you say ‘Bismillaah’ when entering the toilet.” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 551; Saheeh al-Jaami’, 3611).

Strength of faith and religion in general will also prevent the jinn from harming a person, so much so that if they were to fight, the one who has faith would win. ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “A man from among the Companions of Muhammad met a man from among the jinn. They wrestled, and the human knocked down the jinn. The human said to him, ‘You look small and skinny to me, and your forearms look like the front paws of a dog. Do all the jinn look like this, or only you?’ He said, ‘No, by Allaah, among them I am strong, but let us wrestle again, and if you defeat me I will teach you something that will do you good.’ The human said, ‘Fine.’ He said, ‘Recite, ‘Allaah! None has the right to be worshipped but He, the Ever-living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists…’ [Aayat al-Kursi–al-Baqarah 2:255 interpretation of the meaning].

The human said, ‘Fine.’ He said, ‘You will never recite this in your house but the Shaytaan will come out of it like a donkey breaking wind, and he will never come back in until the next morning.’” (Reported by al-Daarimi, 3247).

This is a brief summary about the jinn, and their nature and characteristics. Allaah is the Best of protectors and the Most Merciful of those who show mercy.

For more information see ‘Aalam al-Jinn wa’l-Shayaateen by ‘Umar Sulaymaan al-Ashqar.

(www.islam-qa.com)`

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker