Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
saba2

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Friday, July 14, 2006  -  6:37 PM Reply with quote
suicide

Suicide is Haram in Islam and the person in question will go straight to hell

Most people who commit suicide are not mentally competent or are so depressed to think correctly,can they really be held responsible for their actions. Will God punish them the for their despair?
Nauman

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, July 14, 2006  -  7:48 PM Reply with quote
As-Salaamu Alaikum

There is a hadith that can answer your question.

'Aishah related that the Messenger of Allah, upon whom be peace, said, "The pen is raised for three (meaning: there is no obligation upon three): one who is sleeping until he wakens, the child until he becomes an adult, and one who is insane until he becomes sane."

Abu Dawud & At-Tirmidhi.
sahira

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, July 14, 2006  -  11:06 PM Reply with quote
salaam saba

a very interesting thread suicide especially whats going on today in the world in the name of islam its a genral concept that suicide is haraam yet people are suicide-bombing left right and centre and claim it is jihaad and they are martyers i dont get it.

i was under the impression jihad meant going to war for a just course so lets say islam is that course then if you died in battle you became shaheed meaning martyer how can suicide of any form be used in the same context these suiciside bombers kill themselves in order to kill a few people how can that be justifyed in islam? how can that be called martyerism? why are extremist leaders sending these people on such mission and addressing it under then name of islam and these followers dont they have any basic insight to islam how are they justifying this?

Edited by: sahira on Friday, July 14, 2006 11:07 PM
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Wednesday, July 19, 2006  -  9:55 AM Reply with quote
salam,
difference in opinion is quite natural on any issue..every group has his own interpretation of his deeds or misdeeds..some even justify killing of innocents..
differences brings more space to normal rituals and practices done by a common muslim...there is no harm in it..
but this kind of differences created a unique situation as it allows to kill others...
Allah knows the best.
sahira

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, July 21, 2006  -  4:34 PM Reply with quote
im sorry brother raushan are you referring to suicide bombers when you say this

QUOTE: but this kind of differences created a unique situation as it allows to kill others...

or can you please explain what you mean as i dont understand
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Saturday, July 22, 2006  -  9:48 AM Reply with quote
not only suicide bombings but all those issues which allows one to kill his opponents.
How can we justify it when this leads to a situation where different muslim sects using this as a weapon against one another.

Is there any verse in quran or a hadith supporting killing of an innocent person(of any religion)in any circumstances?
sahira

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, July 27, 2006  -  12:07 PM Reply with quote
no brother raushan as far as i know our religion does not allow killing of innocent people unless i guess if you are at war.
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Thursday, July 27, 2006  -  12:32 PM Reply with quote
quote:

no brother raushan as far as i know our religion does not allow killing of innocent people unless i guess if you are at war.

Is it really allowed to kill innocent people at war?
plz clear it,,do u mean innocents can be killed in warfield or at their homes,shopping bazars,offices or any other public places?

plz give us any religious teaching from our basic books supporting this claim.No guess plz..
sahira

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, July 28, 2006  -  10:55 AM Reply with quote
brother raushan
when i said i guess its ok to kill innocent people if you are at war ok i have no backing of this it is my view point what i was trying to refer to is not survillians of cource or people at bazaar or offices, i was talking about people you are fighting eg, people in armies are innocent from both sides but they are on the battlefield so you have to kill or get killed but even these people fighting whatever course are innocent people. thats all i meant.
sahira

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, August 15, 2006  -  10:12 PM Reply with quote
another question whilst we are on the subject of suicide.

is there any law for anyone who commits suicide regarding their janaza. we all agree suicide is haraam i read somewhere jananza should not be read on a person who took his own life.( i read it does not mean i beleive it as i havent found any authentic hadiths backing this) what is sharia on this. is there anything in the Quran Sahrif regarding suicide.anyone please
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Thursday, August 24, 2006  -  11:04 AM Reply with quote
Suicide or Predetermined Death
By Adil Salahi
Q. It is an absolutely true belief that Allah has predetermined the death of every creature, its time, place and how it effected. Keeping this in mind, it follows, as I argued with a friend of mine, that the term "suicide" is incorrect. When a person shoots, stabs or hangs himself it is not his action that kills him. It is Allah that causes him to die. What is your view of my argument?

Ans. Allah has predetermined the time and place of everyone's death as well as how and by what means it is effected. Nothing can change what Allah has predetermined unless He Himself chooses to do so. Moreover, Allah has kept the knowledge of the time of death He has appointed for everyone of His creatures totally to Himself. He informs the Angel of Death of such time when He pleases.

There are numerous ways of how people meet with their death. Some die in war, others have accidents and still others die of illness. Many die when old age has consumed all their strength. Some die in infancy, some in youth, others in middle age while a fourth group attains a very old age before they die. There is no way any person can tell when or where or how he or she will die.

Having said that we have to admit that much in this world takes place as a result of the law of cause and effect. When something falls in water, it gets wet; when we throw a piece of glass on the floor, it breaks; when a certain virus attacks the human body, it produces certain symptoms of illness; when a man is shot in his heart or head, he dies.

What we have to understand in this context is that the law of cause and effect operates by Allah's will. It is, therefore, part of what He has determined, or, if you like, predetermined for human life. If we take the example of a napkin getting wet when it is thrown in water, we say that it gets wet by Allah's will. If it is not thrown in water, it remains dry. This also happens by Allah's will. Whether it gets wet or remains dry, therefore, depends on what man does with it. His action is the cause which results in the napkin either getting wet or remaining dry. It is we who choose what to do with the napkin. This applies to everything over which we have a choice. Our freedom of actions is extended over a very wide area indeed. It is because of this freedom of choice which Allah has given us that we are held accountable for what we do. If we could not choose, it would not be just that we should be held responsible for our actions. Allah is the most just of judges. It follows that He will not pass a judgement on us over that in which we have no say.

Bearing this in mind, let us ask ourselves; Why has Islam legislated capital punishment for murder? If the victim would have died anyway at this particular time, and if it is Allah's will that he would meet with his death through a gunshot or a stab with a knife or any other weapon used for his murder, then his killer was merely a tool of effecting Allah's will. Why is his action punishable by death? There are several points to be considered here. First, regardless of what may have happened to the victim, the fact that a murderer strikes his victim with whatever weapon he chooses, with the intention of killing him, merits that punishment. By so doing, he commits a crime against the basic rights of life which is enjoyed by every human being. Secondly, his action is the result of personal choice. There is nothing to compel him to take his weapon and strike his victim. That he does of his own accord. Hence, he must be punished. Thirdly the victim's death is the effect of the action of his assailant.

This invites the question; What would have happened if the murderer did not do the action which caused the death of his victims? The answer is that we do not know for certain. We live and die by Allah's will. Whether a person lives or dies depends on what Allah has predetermined. It may be that he has predetermined that the victim would live forty years if he is shot by his murderer and he would live for sixty years if he is not. Allah's knowledge, however, is perfect and absolute. He knows before He even creates us what we will do at every moment in time. He does not wait for a man to fire his gun in order to determine that the shot will hit someone and he will die. He knows that before hand. His knowledge, however, is not a dictate. If it was, He would not have held us responsible for what we do.

This is in line with the Hadith "The Prophet says: 'He who likes to be granted increase in his income and his life to be prolonged, should maintain good relationship with his kinsfolk." (Related by Al-Bukhari, Muslim and Abu Dawood). How does kindness to one's relatives prolong one's life? It is an increase in what the Angel of Death is informed. Allah may tell him that the life of a particular person is sixty if he severs his relations with his kinsfolk. If he is kind to them, his life will be increased to seventy. Allah knows before hand what this person will do with his kinsfolk. Hence, the increase is real as far as we and the Angel of Death are concerned. The extra ten years in that person's life are dependent on what he does with his relatives. As far as Allah's knowledge is concerned, there is nothing that can be added to it. He knows whether the person will be kind to his relatives, and He knows how long he will live, even before he is born.

The case of suicide is the same. If a person shoots himself in his head or his heart, he dies. He is punishable for his action. If he does not hold the gun at his head and fire that shot, he would not die by that bullet. Perhaps he would have died at the same time by some other cause, but it would not be his own doing. It is for this reason that Allah says in a Qudsi Hadith; "My servant has affronted me by taking his own life and I therefore, have banned him from entering heaven." There can be no greater punishment than that. Allah would not have meted out that punishment to anyone unless it is commensurate with the crime. Here the crime is the fact that a person, exercising his freedom of choice, consciously takes steps to end his life. It does not matter whether his life would have ended any way at that particular moment. The fact that he holds a gun to shoot himself or jumps from a very high building, or ties a heavy weight to his legs and jumps into the sea or stabs himself with a sharp weapon is a great crime against Allah's right to give and end life. The Prophet (Pbuh) tells us that a person who kills himself will remain in hell for ever, doing the same act by which he ended his life. Would you imagine that Allah's absolute justice would have required such punishment if that person was only executing Allah's will by killing himself?

Usual arguments are based on the technicality of the timing of death, and that the person who killed himself would have died anyway and at that particular moment even if he did not lift a finger to kill himself. That may be true, but it is his action which caused his death. That is Allah's predetermined law. He, however, has taken the step which caused his death and he is, therefore, held responsible for that action which is known in human language as "suicide".
oosman

USA
Posted - Tuesday, November 14, 2006  -  3:39 AM Reply with quote
It does not seem permissible to kill innocents in warfare.

Quote from a website:

Michael Young:

Abu Bakr , the first caliph or successor to Prophet Mohammed established a detailed set of rules for Islamic conduct in war. He gave these instructions to an Islamic army setting out for Syria, then still part of the Byzantine Empire:

"Stop, O people, that I may give you ten rules for your guidance in the battlefield. Do not commit treachery or deviate from the right path. You must not mutilate dead bodies. Neither kill a child, nor a woman, nor an aged man. Bring no harm to the trees, nor burn them with fire, especially those which are fruitful. Slay not any of the enemy's flock, save for your food. You are likely to pass by people who have devoted their lives to monastic services; leave them alone"
hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Wednesday, November 15, 2006  -  1:26 PM Reply with quote
i'm impressed by the knowledge of all the participants and pleased that a healthy exchange of arguements continues.
as to the Q that where does Qura'n give a verdict against committing suicide; plz note:

the Qura'n clearly commands not take a life umlawfully. (6:151) this includes one's own life as well, rather first of all as would our common sense tell us. similar is the command in the 10 commandments in torah(commandment no.6:you shall not murder. ps http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Scripture/Torah/Ten_Cmds/ten_cmds.html )
we can quite comfortably include one's own life in this command hence a clear verdict against suicide.

wassala'm

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker