<< Previous Page
1 2 3
Page 3 of 3

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
tweety

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, March 25, 2006  -  1:43 PM Reply with quote
boycotting isnt really an affective way of doing things. plus, if we're really gonna boycott an entire country- we cant be hypocrites and create a fuss over countries like america boycotting places like iraq and putting oil sanctions etc- even tho iraq is a lot less economically developed, these actions r both doen 2 harm the overall economy, and i think muslims would be behaving in an irresponsible way if they boycott countries but expect everyone else to leave theyr muslim brothers n sisters alone and nt boycott them. also- the best way to respond now is creatively and calmly.
muslims have been angry for way too long.
turn every failure into an opertunity ^_^ atleast more ppl are aware of the prophet *SAW* now...surely thats a good thing?
tweety

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, March 25, 2006  -  1:49 PM Reply with quote
quote:

"But let us not confuse grapefruits for oranges. Let us understand that the European and modern (Oh, all right, ‘secular’) thinking on the issue of ‘religious freedom’ is not based on “respect for religious beliefs and faith in God Almighty”. We may be hung up on our religion and all that, but for others the ‘respect’ is not for religion per se, but only for the civic right of everyone to make their own religious choices and not suffer any consequences for so doing. Let me ask you: do you seriously ‘respect’ all religions, including all the hundreds of outlandish ones? "

The above is an extract from a column in Daily Times of 15.2.06. I would like to invite comments of the members keeping in view the recent furor on Danish cartoons.

What i find so hypocritical about New Labors terrorism policy is the way they aproach this. I mean- Ken Livingstone got sacked for 2 weeks for insulting the holocaust, but when it came to the danish cartoons- the government was quiet.
Muslims wonder why- this is why:
the racial protection laws in Britain state every race is under protection from prejudism but not religion. However, Judaism is the only religon that is STILL treated as a race, and thus enjoys all the protection privilages of one.
Now, I cant really understand why that is. If it is because of a) the fact that Judaism is kind of like a race because you cant convert in and out of the religion *which must be a rule they made up themselves becuz non of the religions of the Books are like that* then why is it that religions like Zurasterionism *fire worshippers* dont get the same rights? You cant convert in or out of that religion either. And if its because of b) the holocaust then why is it that when 10000 muslim men died in bosnia muslims still cannot be treated as a race? Ok so 6 million is conciderably a lot mroe than 10,000- but to numbers really matter when it comes to lives that are under threat? Lives under threat for the soul reason of identity?
StudyingIslamUK

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, March 27, 2006  -  11:58 AM Reply with quote
Letter from
Khalid Latif
New York University
Chaplain
Islamic Center at NYU
(732).904.1927
kl442@nyu.edu

www.icnyu.org/chaplain
www.icnyuchaplain.blogspot.com

as'salaamu alaykum

On March 29th, this upcoming wednesday, an event is being held by a student organization at NYU called the Objectivist Club. The event's purpose is to analyze the issue of free speech with an emphasis put on a series of cartoons recently published in a Danish newspaper that depicted the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, and Islam in a highly offensive manner. The student group is planning on displaying the cartoons at the event and we have been meeting with the university and its administration to ensure that they will not. The event itself and the topic that the students would like to discuss is not problematic in any way, but the pictures themselves are just hatred and there is really no justification in preaching something that breeds that kind of hate.

I am asking you as my collegues and classmates, as my acquaintances and friends, and as my brothers and sisters to help us ensure that these cartoons are not displayed. If you could take the time to immediately send an email to John Sexton john.sexton@nyu.edu, the president of NYU, as well as Bob Butler bob.butler@nyu.edu , the director of student activities as NYU, letting them know of your concerns it would be greatly appreciated. At this time all we are requesting is an email be sent from you individually. Please do not take it upon yourself to take further actions and be sure the message that you are trying to get across is conveyed clearly and effectively. The following is a letter that I sent to President Sexton earlier.

Dear President Sexton,

I hope all is well with you

I am writing to you in regards to an event that is scheduled to take place next Wednesday at New York University. This event is being sponsored by the Objectivist Club, an OSA club, and its purpose is to analyze the issue of free speech with an emphasis put on a series of cartoons recently published in a Danish newspaper that depicted the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, and Islam in a highly offensive manner. These cartoons have lead to riots, protests, beatings, and even deaths on an international level and now the idea is being discussed whether or not they should be displayed at NYU at the aforementioned event. I, for one, am all for discourse and dialogue and I would encourage the objectivist club to partake in whatever discussion they would like in terms of the cartoons. I, however, would not encourage racism is any shape or form, and to me, and many other Muslims, these cartoons are racist and we adamantly oppose their display. As such, I am asking you to not allow these cartoons to be displayed in any shape or form. The event itself and the topic that the students would like to discuss is not problematic in any way, but the pictures themselves are just hatred and there is really no justification in preaching something that breeds that kind of hate. One of the images shows what the author claims to be a rendering of the Prophet Muhammad wearing a turban that is shaped like a bomb, making it seem as if Islam is a religion that can be equated to terrorism. If ideas like that are not enough to keep these images from being displayed, the potential of what might happen after they are shown is something else that should be considered and not taken lightly.

As Chaplain for the Muslim community at NYU, my primary concern would be for those undergrads, grad students, faculty, staff, and admins who are Muslim and what kind of state displaying these cartoons would leave them in. Already I have students who are shocked that it is even being considered that these cartoons would be displayed. Some are left in states of wonder, many in states of anger, but, most importantly, there are some who are afraid. They are afraid as to what kind of thoughts these images would leave in the minds of those who don’t understand Islam. They wonder what kind of verbal abuses they will be subject to, what kind of taunts and teases. They remember the days going back to September five years ago when their parents told them not to attend classes or remain hidden and not show the world that they are Muslim because they were scared of what might happen to them. They remember not being able to travel on streets alone that were once safe to them because doing so might lead to unthinkable danger. They remember being told to shave their beards and remove their headscarves so no one would notice they were there. Now they wonder if something like this would happen again and I do not have an answer for them.

Aside from that, the repercussions that would take place outside of the university setting are potentially huge. All over the world Muslims have been coming together over this issue and in New York they would not hesitate in doing the same thing. New York itself is also one of the most metropolitan cities in the world and media attention that would be acquired would not limit itself to the city, but could go across the nation and even around the world as it already has with issues pertaining to these cartoons. NYU has facilities all over the world and Muslims also live all over the world. At that point in time no one will be thinking about the objectivist club that is an OSA organization made up of ten or twenty students. Rather, at that time all people will be thinking about is New York University and the decision it made. That decision however has not been made yet and I pray that, God-willing, when it is made, it will be the best one.

I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss this with you at your convenience, or anyone else whom you could direct me to. I thank you for your time and consideration and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
Khalid Latif

If there was ever a time to stand up for anyone, the time would be now. Racism that exists in any kind of form, against any people is never justified and these images are racist in nature, specifically against the Muslim community. Together we should stand up not just for our sake and for the sake of those around us, but also for the sake of our prophet alayhi salaam. Be you brown, black, yellow, or white, Allah has given us all the oppurtunity to protect the image of His most beloved, and it is upon us as individuals to decide how we respond. As i mentioned to president sexton, i mention to you all as well: I pray that inshallah all of our responses, when made, are the best ones.

Should you have any questions, comments or concerns, feel free to contact me at the information below.

jazakumullah khairun
was'salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah
Khalid Latif

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

<< Previous Page
1 2 3
Page 3 of 3

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker