Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
lofty

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Saturday, December 24, 2005  -  2:09 PM Reply with quote
Sunnah of Prophet Muhammed!!

If people of pre-arabia can corrput the Sunnah of Prophet Abraham (as mentioned in module 1 course notes), what guarantee do we have that muslims will not or have not corrupted the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammed?
mariam_78

SWITZERLAND
Posted - Tuesday, December 27, 2005  -  9:27 AM Reply with quote
as Salaamu alaikum
I do not know if I am knowledgable enough to help you answering this question but I think to avoid from being led astray from the straight path it is very important to check the sources of to where we get our knowledge from. And also look at the chain of people who narrated the hadith or sunnah of nabi (saw)

Insha'Allah if what I said is correct it is from Allah t'ala and whatever is wrong it is from me

ma Salaama (greetings to switzerland)
myriam
lofty

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, December 29, 2005  -  1:26 PM Reply with quote
I am afraid that does not answer my Question Mariam. May be question was not so clear. It is clear from the course notes that people of pre-islamic era had corrupted the sunnah of Prophet Abraham. Prophet Muhammed only revived the sunnah of Abraham, after some addition and deletion. Who is going to revive the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammed if muslims distort it, and what gurantee do we have that muslims have not or will not corrupt it just like pagans. I was hoping Mr. Hashmi will answer my questions on course forums. No body seems interested in course forums either any more.
mariam_78

SWITZERLAND
Posted - Friday, December 30, 2005  -  4:21 AM Reply with quote
yeah after I read my own answer I realised that I didnt really answer your question... but dont worry your question will be answered, Insha'Allah
ma salaama
mariam
Tariq Hashmi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, December 31, 2005  -  11:24 AM Reply with quote
assalaam o alaikum
Sorry for not responding to the questions ealier. I did not notice that there were posts which need my attention. Please excuse me.
You ask what guarantees the preservation of the Sunan now when they were liable to change in the times preceding the Prophet (sws).
The Sunan of Abraham no doubt were religious practice and were disseminated among a groups of his followers but in the Arabian side the ion of Abraham was not accepted by and disseminated among an entire generation which could carry it uncorrupted. They were not that widely spread. Neither was it made possible that the basic beliefs of the people are secure. Therefore we see that with the introduction of polytheism the sunan of the Abraham the most manifest of which were hajj being spoiled. Their nature (being practices which everyone adheres to) kept them alive but the lack of the pure faith and true knowledge regarding them was the reason impurities could creep in.
The Sunnah is same as the Qur’an both as regards it transmission down from the Prophet (sws) and the degree of care taken to preserve them by the Prophet (sws) and the Prophet (Abraham). The religion of the Prophet Abraham was not to serve as the last guidance to the people on earth. therefore it was not guaranteed security. On the contrary the religion of the Prophet (sws) was destined to serve as the last guidance till the Last Day it was revealed, recorded and disseminated in the most perfect way so that it is still unadulterated and clear to all.
Ibrahimblicksjo

SWEDEN
Posted - Wednesday, March 29, 2006  -  6:33 PM Reply with quote
Salaamu Alaikom wa Rahmatullah.
We can never be guaranteed that the books or collection of ahadeeth has been tampered with, or that someone tells lies about what Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) have said or done. Allah has promised to protect the Holy Qur'an and no the ahadeeth. BUT since Allah protects the Qur'an we are helped. When 'Aisha (raa) mother of the believers, was asked about the character of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) she answered that he was a walking (living) Qur'an. So in view of this, if any act of Sunna that you read about goes against the Quran, then leave it. About the ahadeeth, that is a whole sience in itself. I suggest you stick to the Seven sahihs and take the course on haddeth at this website and you willsee what I mean about the "science" part.
JunaidHasan

GERMANY
Posted - Monday, July 31, 2006  -  5:58 AM Reply with quote
THE AHADITH:

The Ahadith are not an independent source of Sharia (Islamic law) as they do not add to the content of the Qur’an and Sunnah. They merely explain the Qur’an and Sunnah and are totally dependent on these two for their survival. The fact that we cannot, cent percent, guarantee every Hadith should not mean that we should turn our backs on the Ahadith. That is because:

1. The scholars of the science of Hadith (for example, Imam Muslim, Imam Bukhari, Imam Malik (RA)) have put in tremendous efforts to distinguish the true Ahadith from the fabricated ones. These are such outstanding and worthwhile efforts that we can be highly proud of them.

2. The Ahadith help a great deal to understand the directives of the Qur’an. For example, what was the real purpose behind the delay in commanding that no more people could be made slaves?

3. They are the only source from which we can get to know the biography and lifestyle of the Prophet (SAW).

4. They inform us of the uswa-e-hasana (the way our dear Prophet (SAW) carried out the Quranic directives in the most beautiful way, for example, the way he performed ablution) of the Prophet (SAW).

5. They enlighten the background in which the Qur’an was revealed. This background, which includes the geographical circumstances of the Qur’anic revelations, is extremely important to understand the true essence of the different Quranic directives. For example, when the Qur’an says “these Jews” cannot be your friends, we need to know “which Jews”. The Ahadith tell us that those from the tree Jewish tribes of Al-Madina which were wholeheartedly against the Muslims and no good was expected of them anymore.

6. They inform us about the companions (RA) of the Prophet (SAW) who can be seen as the heroes in the history due to their extra-ordinary commitment with the Qur’an and Sunnah.

There may be many more reasons to embrace the science of Hadith but, I think, the above have already elaborated much.

THE SUNNAH:

1. So far, none of the established Sunan are “against” the Qur’an. (By this, I do not mean that all of them are explicitly mentioned in the Qur’an.)

2. The Sunan are the religious Abrahamic traditions that were already prevailing, in some form, in the world even before the advent of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW). These Sunan are older than the Qur’an itself. If a Sunnah is not mentioned in the Qur’an (for example: circumcision of the male children or the way Salah be performed etc.), it does not mean that it would be rejected as the Qur’an not only testifies the religion of the Prophet Abraham (SAW) but orders us to follow it. The Qur’an is revealed with the Sunan-e-Ibrahimi (the Abrahamic traditions) in its background that is why it doesn’t explain what is Hajj, Umrah and Salah but merely orders people to carry out these Sunan. In other words, people were already aware of the Sunan-e-Ibrahimi. However, the Holy Prophet (SAW) purified these Sunan from the polytheistic spirits developed within them with time, and rectified them in their supreme form. Though Sunan were present in all the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) but they should not be mixed up with the laws (Sharia) of each religion – the laws kept changing in the different Divine books but the Sunan, more or less, remained the same.

The question why the Holy Prophet (SAW) adopted the religious Abrahimic traditions and, after corrections and additions, instituted them in the lives of his followers as an integral part of their faith is answered in the following verse:

“And then we revealed unto you (the command) to follow the religion of Abraham, who was steadfast and was not one of the polytheists.” (16:123)

3. The Sunan are as pure as the Qur’an itself because both have come to us through the same mean of transformation – the consensus of each generation of the Ummah.

4. The whole Ummah is and has been unanimous on the established Sunan because of the Sunan’s superlative clarity. If a group of Muslims adds something new to the Sunan, the whole Ummah doesn’t accept it. Therefore, the consensus of, by and large, the whole Ummah is necessary to entitle something as Sunnah.

I hope this would be of help.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

J.

Edited by: JunaidHasan on Monday, July 31, 2006 12:37 PM
Ibrahimblicksjo

SWEDEN
Posted - Monday, July 31, 2006  -  8:46 AM Reply with quote
Salaamu Alaikom wa Rahmatullah.
Thank you very much for a very good answer and may Allah reward you for this.
Just to clear things up a bit. What I mean about sunnat going against the Qur'an is if someone claim something to be from the Sunnat and it is not.
Yusuf Estet said something very good: "Everything on this earth is HALAL for you exept that which Allah and His Prophet forbade. And every 'EBADAT' is HARAM for you exept that which Allah and His Prophet allowed for you." Look and so many sects that do all types of strange worhships claiming it to be from our beloved Prophets Sunnat. We shall not just follow those blindly, but check for ourselfes if this is in the qur'an or the Sunnat of Prophet Muhammad. Ofcourse Prophet Muhammad NEVER did anything going against the Qur'an BUT but ordinary men after him have done this. We know there is falsa and fabricated ahadeeth around and that is why we have to compare them with the Qur'an.

Jazak Allahu Khayran
Ibrahim
JunaidHasan

GERMANY
Posted - Monday, July 31, 2006  -  9:05 AM Reply with quote
I totally agree! :)
ozzieastro

BAHRAIN
Posted - Friday, August 1, 2008  -  3:38 PM Reply with quote
salaam ....with all respect and honour ...............

what if the consensus of the whole present day ummah is that shaving beard is sunnah .........? will shaving beard become sunnah? wat if this was the consensus of the entire ummah right from the 14th century till today....... would that make shaving beard a sunnah?
ozzieastro

BAHRAIN
Posted - Friday, August 1, 2008  -  9:55 PM Reply with quote
Salaam Alaikum......

I really applogozie if I was being harsh in my earlier post. It's just a question that was popping up in my mind. I would look forward for a reply.

In the mean time, I have registered for three courses on this site. I must say that this website is an excellent work. Alhamdulillah I am a born Muslim, and through this website, I wish to learn more about Islam.

Thankyou for giving me an opportunity to express myself.

Take care and W/Salaam.

Edited by: ozzieastro on Friday, August 01, 2008 9:55 PM
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, August 2, 2008  -  4:50 AM Reply with quote
wa Alaikum us Salaam

Dear you need to go through the Principles of Determining the Sunnah. Plz visit the given link:
http://www.monthly-renaissance.com/issue/content.aspx?id=77
I'm sure, after it you'll understand the reply of your Q. If not, plz let us know.

Thanks for the praise. you are always welcome.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker