Powered by UITechs
Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
sobi_05

USA
Topic initiated on Wednesday, November 23, 2005  -  6:43 PM Reply with quote
Could American Muslims celebrate Thanksgiving?

I want to initiat a discussion on whether muslims who chose other countries to live and settle can celebrate a national or patriotic day without harming their imaan? As emphasis here is "Thanksgiving", i will describe here its brief history and intro.
Thanksgiving is an American ( probably canadian too) holiday which is celebrated on the last thursday of November. The holiday is about being thankful for whatever they have in their life, the food, the relatives, love, health and all other blessings.
It started when the first settlers from Europe came here after Columbus discovered this land, and harvested their first crop in November. There was a big feast where natives were also invited.
Some muslims who are settled here form many years celebrate this tradition. While many say that they don't need any specific day for being thankful. A muslim should be thankful to God all year long, every moment.
What do you think? Should we stick to our two holidays in a year that are two Eids, or can we celebrat our second home non-religious holidays?
oosman

USA
Posted - Wednesday, November 23, 2005  -  10:23 PM Reply with quote
I am just glad I got four days holiday so I can spend time with my family and relax. Yippee, skipeee!!!
Zulfee

USA
Posted - Saturday, November 26, 2005  -  12:18 AM Reply with quote
I think U can not relax
oosman

USA
Posted - Saturday, November 26, 2005  -  3:28 PM Reply with quote
Why?

You make Islam sound like a dull religion that does not allow holidays!

When I was in Pakistan, we used to celebrate 14th August, and 25th December (Jinnah's birthday) as holidays. These are Pakistan's national holidays. Thanksgiving is American national holiday. I do not see any difference between one and the other.
Zulfee

USA
Posted - Saturday, November 26, 2005  -  7:53 PM Reply with quote
I meant by your attitude in your writings, which are unable to let u relax anyway.
oosman

USA
Posted - Sunday, November 27, 2005  -  12:44 AM Reply with quote
I did not understand your reply. Can you explain it please?
sobi_05

USA
Posted - Sunday, November 27, 2005  -  5:06 PM Reply with quote
Thanks brothers for participating in this discussion. The purpose of this discussion is to better understand the islamic stance on this matter. When muslims make non-muslim lands their home, they face many challenges including those in the form of customs and culture. And offcourse they must be faceing these challenges from the day they made Hijra to Medina. When we look around to this day islamic world, we see muslims in different dresses,which tells us that they belong to a specific part of world. They have different color skins from each other, different houses, customs, dresses, yet ONE thing common, they are Muslims. Islam has given these nations a firm and true faith, and in turn have adopted a rich culture of different shades.
In all this process, though, we see that converted muslims have not left some their previous customs which clearly contradict islamic belief Or, muslims who came from other lands have adopted some of those native ways which go against islamic teachings. And after hundreds of years now, these are taken as "islamic oppression", in the westen world. We find example of "honory killing" , " kari" , and " nikah with Quran" in Pakistan among many others.
So what criteria should we as muslims living in other lands take so to not make any anti-islamic behaviour a part of islam yet be a part of that society and not become isolate?
I request to present your response with reasons.
oosman

USA
Posted - Monday, November 28, 2005  -  6:32 PM Reply with quote
I do not understand why we need to discuss this issue. Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday, it has nothing to do with Islam. Islam says nothing about thanksgiving. Why do we need to talk about this? It is just a national holiday!

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker