Powered by UITechs
Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
oosman

USA
Topic initiated on Sunday, September 11, 2005  -  7:50 PM Reply with quote
A story about Prophet Sulaiman (King Solomon)

In Chapter Saad (38) it is mentioned about prophet Sulaiman (peace be upon him).

One time he got handsome horses. Just like today people admire big luxury cars and it is a status symbol, in the old times special breed of horses were valued very much.

38.31: When there were displayed before him, in the afternoon, well trained horses of the highest breed.

32: he said: "Alas! I did love the good (these horses) instead of remembering my Lord till the time was over, and (the sun) had hidden in the veil (of night)

Prophet Sulaiman (a.s.), being a human like us, kept thinking of the horses, and he was so engrossed in his thoughts, then he forgot to do (asr) salat and the sun went down, it was dark.

33: Then he said "Bring them (horses) back to me." Then he began to pass his hand over their legs and their necks (till the end of the display).

Another interpretation is he realized the thought of the horses had made him forget the remmembrance of Allah, so he smited their necks and sacrificed them. Instead this translator has chosen to translate it as just patting the necks of the animals. It could mean either, as from the Arabic it is not clear to me what it means to touch the neck.

34: And, indeed We did try Sulaimân (Solomon) and We placed on his throne Jasadan but he did return to Allâh with obedience and in repentance.

Then Sulaiman (a.s.) was repentant to his Lord, as Allah put the devil on his throne and made him loose the kingdom for a while.

35: He said: "My Lord! Forgive me, and bestow upon me a kingdom such as shall not belong to any other after me: Verily, You are the Bestower."

Then we see how Allah forigives His servants who repent and come back to Him. Allah blessed him with a kingdom no man has ever had.

This story also shows the importance of salat and how depressed he became when he realized he had missed it. We should check ourselves if we love our salat or not, do we love it like the prophet's used to? We should always look forward to doing our salat and remmember and thank our Lord Allah.

Salaam o alaikum!

Edited by: oosman on Sunday, September 11, 2005 7:50 PM
shafinaz

MALAYSIA
Posted - Monday, September 12, 2005  -  3:07 AM Reply with quote
Text
TextAssalamualaikum
Prayer should always be the centre of our day's activities. Nonetheless, saying is often easier said than done. But it does not mean the task is a difficult one. I believe we have to have a strong discipline in performing our prayer especially as soon as we hear the call of prayer. Let us hope that the prayers that we have performed so far will enable us to be closed to the all supreme and Almighthy Allah. Anyhow, one important thing is the state of "kusyok" - deep concentration that we must be in when praying. How does one achieve this?
oosman

USA
Posted - Monday, September 12, 2005  -  3:46 PM Reply with quote
To answer your questions about how to concentrate more on salat, here is an email I received from a friend some time ago:

Taken from Islam-QA (except a couple):

Ways to increase concentration in Salah

Repeat what the muadhin says
Making dua between adhan and Iqamah
Make fresh wudu for Salah
Use siwak before Salah
Dressing in fine clothes for Salah
Move through Salah with tranquility
Pray as if you will die after this Salah
Think about the verses and dhikr you are reciting

in Salah
Repeat verses for added contemplation
Interact with the verses, paradise: ask for it
Memorize and use new passages of Quran
Memorize and use new and authentic dhikr in Salah
Pause at the end of each ayah
Recite in a beautiful voice
Realize that Allah responds to your recital
of Al-Fatiha
Pray near to a sutrah
Maintain eyesight on your prostration location
Seek refuge and dry spit thrice if you lose
concentration
Remember how the Prophet used to pray and pray like him
Remember: your reward is proportional to your concentration
Make dua in Sujood
Recite dhikr after prayer, patiently
Don't pray with food waiting to be eaten
Don't pray in a sleepy state. Take a nap and
then pray.
Don't look around in prayer
Suppress your yawning during prayer
Don't stick to the same prayer place in the Masjid
Focus on each word separately in the Salah

Dhikr
Arrive early for Salah
Pray as soon as the time enters

I hope this helps :)

Edited by: oosman on Monday, September 12, 2005 3:46 PM
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, September 13, 2005  -  11:41 PM Reply with quote
QUOTE: - Prophet Sulaiman (a.s.), being a human like us, kept thinking of the horses, and he was so engrossed in his thoughts, then he forgot to do (asr) salat and the sun went down, it was dark.

Just for information, with special reference to “(asr) salat” were salats, those days, like in the times of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) or we do?
oosman

USA
Posted - Wednesday, September 14, 2005  -  7:11 PM Reply with quote
I do not know for sure. I think the salat as we know it today was introduced by our prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.). (Remmember the incidence of Miraje/Ascenssion to the Heavens when he was given the 5 daily salat?) The verse about the story of prohpet Sulaiman (a.s.) only says he forgot his 'remmembrance'. The translator added the word asr salat. It would be useful to consult other translations and tafseer.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker