Page 1 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
muntazir

AUSTRALIA
Topic initiated on Wednesday, September 7, 2005  -  2:32 AM Reply with quote
Saying of "Allah hafiz" when we depart

As-salamu-alaikum

Question: I see many people saying "Allah Hafiz" or "Khuda Hafiz" when they depart from any meeting or gathering.But i never read any authentic Ahadith which affirms saying this. Is it allowed to say this. If yes then please justify with Quranic Verse or Authentic Hadith.

Jazakallah Khair
gohar

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, September 7, 2005  -  6:41 PM Reply with quote
some ppl are unbelieveable,, i sware...
dont say it? say whatever u think will protect him/her.

yaar kia musibath hai?

zameen junbash na junbash din mohammad..
oosman

USA
Posted - Wednesday, September 7, 2005  -  6:48 PM Reply with quote
These kind of questions remind me of the story of people of Musa (a.s.) who asked him many times about the cow they should sacrifice. Each time they asked, Allah answered, and it got more and more difficult for those people to find the right cow that fit Allah's requirements. Had they not asked stupid questions, they could have gotten over with Allah's order quickly, because there were not so many requirements in the beginning.

Why is it that we humans want to not only make our own lives more difficult but that of others also!

Everything does not have to be ordered to you in Quran or Hadith. We are humans with intellect, sometimes use your brain that Allah has given us all.
muntazir

AUSTRALIA
Posted - Thursday, September 8, 2005  -  2:15 AM Reply with quote
Islam is the religion of proof. Islam says enjoin the good and forbid evil. If a muslim comes to you and says "Allah hafiz" then what will you reply if you dont know whether it is allowed or not.

If it is allowed there has to be a proof in terms of Hadith. And if there is no Hadith than this is BIdAH. this is what i believe. because anything in religious matter for which there is no authority from Muhammed (SAW) than that is BIDAH.

It is for that reason i put the topic on discussion becasue in some other topic i saw that it was concluded that one can say "Allah hafiz" but if there is no proof than i believe that we cannot say.

I have put this topic to help each other and not to hurt anyones feeling

Jazakallah Khair
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, September 8, 2005  -  11:33 PM Reply with quote
QUOTE: - If yes then please justify with Quranic Verse or Authentic Hadith.

I do not know whether it is mentioned in Holy Quran or Ahadith. Suppose it is not mentioned anywhere, what is harm in doing so- saying "Allah Hafiz" or "Khuda Hafiz"?

One of the positive aspects of saying such words is the good psychological impact on the person who is departing i.e. he feels to be best wished.

Whether it is related or not the following Quranic verse may help to some extent.

“And when you are greeted with a greeting, greet with a better (greeting) than it or return it; surely Allah takes account of all things (4: 86)”
oosman

USA
Posted - Friday, September 9, 2005  -  3:13 PM Reply with quote
sorry I got rude with your comment
muntazir. I don't believe everything has to be literally ordered to us and we do not need to be spoon fed every miniscule thing by shariah. As we know there are 4 sources of Islamic laws. Quran, Sunnah, Ijma, Qiyas (correct me if I am wrong). When you do not find a ruling in the first two sources, then you can use the last two. In one, the scholars and people get together and they unaminously agree on a new rule. An example is what times to do salat and do fasts if you live in the north pole where one day is 6 months long. Obviously the Quran and Sunnah do not have an answer to this question. The last source of law can be applied if the third one also is not an option, and you cannot get people to come to a uniform agreement. This source of law requires a person to use his/her own intellect that God has given. Many Khalifas used their own intellect to make decisions at times. And those became law.

Salamun alaikum.
muntazir

AUSTRALIA
Posted - Saturday, September 10, 2005  -  3:34 PM Reply with quote
ThanK YOU brother oosman

It seems logical that if you have any problem or any matter for which you dont have any solution in the first two sources you can use the other two means to get the rulings.

but what if you have the solution which is given in the first two sources like it is given in the book of salutation in SAHIH MUSLIM. I m giving one of the hadith below

Book 026, Number 5381:
Anas reported that the Companions of Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) said to him: The People. of the Book offer us salutations (by saying as-Salamu- 'Alaikum). How should we reciprocate them? Thereupon he said: Say: Wa 'Alaikum (and upon you too).

here is the source for the above hadith
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/muslim/026.smt.html

As it can be clearly seen from the above hadith the way to salute and to reply. So if we have the proof from the authentic hadith then i think we should avoid any alternative means.

As salamu alaikum
oosman

USA
Posted - Saturday, September 10, 2005  -  3:49 PM Reply with quote
Actually the hadith says what to reply when someone says 'salaam o alaikum'. It was a specific question about 'salaam o alaikum'.

When no one says salaam o alaikum, then this hadith situation does not apply, and if you say khuda hafiz instead, I do not see anything wrong with that.
gohar

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, September 11, 2005  -  5:21 PM Reply with quote
Muntazir,
Next time he says "Allah Hafiz", u grab him by his neck and beat the hell out of him so that he is never able to say it.
kafir hai sala, kehtha hai, "Allah hafiz". ab Allah bhi kissi ka Hafiz hosaktha hai, hai na? muntazir bhayee.
tweety

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, November 26, 2005  -  3:44 PM Reply with quote
wen it comes 2 situations like this wher there is no mension in a hadith of being able 2 say MAY GOD PROTECT U IN A LANGUAGE THE PROPHET DIDNT EVEN KNOW
*so hw on earth can it b in a hadith!??!!* u shud see if ther is a hadith sunnah or ayah saying u CANT send ur blessings on ppl in a different language- which obviously there isnt
thats the problem wiht a lota ppl nwadays- open ur minds dudes- look at the BIGGER PICTURE
tweety

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, November 26, 2005  -  3:49 PM Reply with quote
oh n i forgot ther is a verse in surah nisa (V86): "and when anyone greets you in a respectful manner greet him iwht a better salutation than his or atleast return the same; indeed Allah takes account of everything."
atifrafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, December 8, 2005  -  7:42 AM Reply with quote
quote:

wen it comes 2 situations like this wher there is no mension in a hadith of being able 2 say MAY GOD PROTECT U IN A LANGUAGE THE PROPHET DIDNT EVEN KNOW
*so hw on earth can it b in a hadith!??!!* u shud see if ther is a hadith sunnah or ayah saying u CANT send ur blessings on ppl in a different language- which obviously there isnt
thats the problem wiht a lota ppl nwadays- open ur minds dudes- look at the BIGGER PICTURE

I am sure next response will be, "PICTURE is HARAAM, why are you trying to indulge me in a haraam activity
sobi_05

USA
Posted - Thursday, December 8, 2005  -  7:26 PM Reply with quote
To my understanding, Allah hafiz or Khuda Hafiz is Persian and as Urdu language contains hundreds of persian words, so muslims living in Indo-pak have acquired this way of saying goodbye. The expression means " Allah or God ( Khuda ) be a protector( Hafiz come from "Hifazat") of you.
I have seen Arab muslims saying Assalam O Alaikum while departing.
In the light of the ayat 86, sura 4, which is mentioned twice above, i consider "Allah Hafiz" a good greeting. While saying Asslaam O Alaikum may be the best way of greeting, no other way of greeting should be considered unislamic or Bidhat.
Bhavittre

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, December 8, 2005  -  8:32 PM Reply with quote
you said…….. I am sure next response will be, "PICTURE is HARAAM.

i have heard, only ‘Manhoos’ pictures are haram…………
oosman

USA
Posted - Saturday, December 10, 2005  -  12:13 AM Reply with quote
I believe 'Assalam alaikum' is a Jewish greeting, and the Muslims copied and took it from the Jews. But it is a good greeting, and there is nothing wrong with any good greeting, and Muslims use it too. So with 'khuda hafiz' also, it is a good greeting and what is wrong with that?
Nauman

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, December 10, 2005  -  7:00 AM Reply with quote
As-Salaamu Alaikum.

There is nothing wrong in saying 'Allah Hafiz' or 'khuda hafiz' in Urdu unless the words Allah or Khuda connote something else besides One God; which is certainly not the case here.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2
Next page >>
Page 1 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker