Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
oosman

USA
Topic initiated on Thursday, May 19, 2005  -  1:38 AM Reply with quote
Is it ok to harvest opium?

I read a BBC report done on a friendly opium smuggler in Afghanistan. At the end, this is what the smuggler was quoted as saying:

"Whatever I am, I am not killing people, I am not looting people, I am not doing any other kind of illegal job," he replied.

"I have my own life. I have a wife, children, sisters, mother, brothers. I belong to a family who live within the limits of Islam."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4522957.stm

So is it ok in Islam to harvest and sell opium to the West?
Nauman

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, May 19, 2005  -  7:40 PM Reply with quote
Obviously the unemployment and quick money can make people to do any type of work. He certainly knows what the opium is for.

I think the relevant question to ask the guy is: Are you ready to give the same to yourself and your family?

I hope not!
Bhavittre

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, May 29, 2005  -  6:56 AM Reply with quote
the people of nwfp give the same staements. they say it is our business not sin.
Ibrahimblicksjo

SWEDEN
Posted - Saturday, March 25, 2006  -  8:37 PM Reply with quote
Salaamu Alaikom wa Rahmatullah.
First we have to classify Opium. Anything that befoggs the mind (Khamr) is Haram. So Opium is Haram to use.
Now to the question about harvesting and giving it to the West. If we go to the history of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and the Sahabah we will get the answer to this question. When wine (wich is also classified as khamr)became forbidden the Prophet (pbuh) told a sahabihtopour out apotof wine on the ground. The man asked if he could give it away as a gift and the Prophet (pbuh) answered: "The One that has prohibited its drinking has also prohibited that it should be given as a gift". The man asked: "Even to a Jew?" And Prophet Muhammad answered: "Yes.Even to a Jew". You can find the Islamic standpoint on the subject in the book The Halal and Haram by Qaradawi.
raushan

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Posted - Sunday, March 26, 2006  -  8:15 AM Reply with quote
the reply of this afghani muslim is nothing but just an example how we have moulded Islam to justify our crimes or we muslims are so ignorant that we dont know even the basics of it.

Doing something wrong is to an extent considerable but prooving it with Almighty's words is the worst thing one can do to make Him angry.

And BBC is so innocent in his reporting that she doesnt even bother to consult an Islamic scholar to know does this opium trade comes within the limits of Islam as the smuggler claims that he lives within the limits of islam.We cant blame them as they are professionals and working on a set of guidelines given to select and format a report.

Edited by: raushan on Sunday, March 26, 2006 8:28 AM
ibrahim

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, March 27, 2006  -  9:15 AM Reply with quote
quote:

I think the relevant question to ask the guy is: Are you ready to give the same to yourself and your family?

I hope not!

i agree w U & as a Principal in Islam we Can't do even 4 the OTHERs what is WRONG/Haraam.
aijaz47

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, April 1, 2006  -  8:35 PM Reply with quote
quote:

quote:

I hope not!

i agree w U & as a Principal in Islam we Can't do even 4 the OTHERs what is WRONG/Haraam.[/quote

But first we need to prove that the opium is a Harram substance in itself.
Ibrahimblicksjo

SWEDEN
Posted - Sunday, April 2, 2006  -  6:12 AM Reply with quote
I agree with that we have to prove the case.As always when we talk about Islam and what to do and not to do we have to be able toprove our point,and to give evidence from Quran and/or Hadeeth. From the book The Halal and Haram in Islam by Yusuf al-Qaradawi on page 72:
"The Prophet (sas) was once asked about certain drinks madefrom honey,corn or barely by the process of fermenting them until they become alcoholic. The Messenger of Allah(sas) ,blessed as he was with the best of speech, replied succinctly, 'Every intoxicant is Khamr, and every khamr is Haram.'" (Muslim)

And 'Umar (rAa) declaredfrom the pulpit of the Prophet, 'Khamr is that which befogs the mind.'

Prophet Muhammad (sas) have also said: "Truly Allah has cursed Khamr and has cursed the one who PRODUCES it, the one for whom it is PRODUCED, the one who drinks it, the one who serves it, the one who carries it,,, the one for whom it is carried,the one who sells it, the one who earns from the salesof it, the one who buys it, and the one for whom it is bought.'" (reported by Tirmidhi and Ibn majah)
And it is also forbidden to just give or sell the plant itself to someone who produces the drug:
A hadeeth states: "Ifsomeone stockpiles grapes during harvest time and holdsthem in order to sell themto a Jew or a Christian or anyone else (even if he be a muslim) who produces Khamr, he will be leaping into the Fire with his eyes open.'" (reported by al-Tabarani in Al-Awsat, and classified as Sahih by al-Hafiz in bulugh al Haram). For further evidence you can check Fatawa Ibn Taymiyyah, vol 4 p 262 f. And also see his book, Al-siyasah al-Shar'iyyah.
Bhavittre

PAKISTAN
Posted - Sunday, April 2, 2006  -  6:23 AM Reply with quote
opium, itself is never haraam. people sayings haraam are illterate.
Ibrahimblicksjo

SWEDEN
Posted - Sunday, April 2, 2006  -  7:59 AM Reply with quote
Could you please explain your standpoint.
oosman

USA
Posted - Sunday, April 2, 2006  -  1:04 PM Reply with quote
opium is used in many hospitals today to relieve the severe pain of some cancer patients. I think that is what he means by saying opium itself is not haram, but its bad use is haram. And Allah knows best.
Ibrahimblicksjo

SWEDEN
Posted - Sunday, April 2, 2006  -  2:04 PM Reply with quote
Applying the rule of neccecity, I agree. If there is no other means
oosman

USA
Posted - Sunday, April 2, 2006  -  5:12 PM Reply with quote
No I do not agree with that. A patient might be suffering in pain, and may use opium to ease pain. If the patient does not use opium, he or she will still live, but keep on suffering. So opium is not necessary in this case for survival, only for relieving excessive pain.
Ibrahimblicksjo

SWEDEN
Posted - Sunday, April 2, 2006  -  6:57 PM Reply with quote
Difficult question. I leave that to someone with more knowledge. But if it should be allowed to use it in the hospital to ease the pain, is it also allowed to use it outside hospital to ease pain? Or to use other drugs? the US in some states I have heard that doctors prescibe mariuana to patients on some cases. Is this also ok?

When Prophet Muhammad (sas) was asked if wine can be used as a medicine he answerd: 'It is not a medicine but a disease.' (reported by Muslim,Ahmad,Abu Daoud and al-Tirmidhi)

But at the same time, what if the pain ofa person suffering from cancer is unbearable and they only offer medicine with opium in it at the hospital what to do?
I really do not know so I leave it to someone else. But I willask around aswell.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, April 3, 2006  -  12:26 AM Reply with quote
Usually the terminal patients of cancer have the sever pain which is not relieved by non-narcotic analgesics (painkillers).

(QUOTE: - opium is used in many hospitals today to relieve the severe pain of some cancer patients)

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker