Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
nadya

USA
Topic initiated on Thursday, January 20, 2005  -  9:42 AM Reply with quote
The Book of Life

The Book of Life
Waheed Uddin Khan

The book of life is constantly turning its leaves. Every morning opens a new page. It adds to the leaves turned and lessens the remaining ones. The day is not far when you will be enjoying the last moments of your life. The book then will be closed and all your entries saved.

Have you ever thought what you are adding to this book? What changes do you make in its contents each day? Aware or unaware be you, this work of yours is progressing. You are on it with all your might. You write all that you think, see, hear, desire, perform and achieve. You and only you can make additions to it. Nobody else can make the slightest change in its contents.

You are the sole writer of this work and are constantly working on it. Stop and think for a while. One day you will find the same book in you hands and your Lord will be saying to you:

Read this thy record! Sufficient is your own self today to make out your account. (17:14)

(Translated by Tariq Hashmi)
vlias1

USA
Posted - Sunday, January 30, 2005  -  10:40 PM Reply with quote
The Book of Life??? Hmm.... It's interesting that Muslims refer to the Quran with this title as do Christians refer to the Bible by this title.
nadya

USA
Posted - Sunday, January 30, 2005  -  11:37 PM Reply with quote
Here "The Book of life" is not referring to the Quran, the author is just trying to illustrate that our lives are limited like the pages of a book, so each day not only do we turn over a page, or lessen a day in our lives, but we also author our own lives, each day, each page by the choices we make and the deeds we perform so that the events of our lives become a fixed noted history, for which we shall be answerable before God, so we should be careful as to how we write our life story.
vlias1

USA
Posted - Monday, January 31, 2005  -  2:16 AM Reply with quote
Ahhhh.... Okay. Thanks, nadya. I *totally* missed that one. :-)

Thanks for clearing it up, though.
nadya

USA
Posted - Monday, January 31, 2005  -  8:53 AM Reply with quote
No problem : )
student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, January 31, 2005  -  11:55 AM Reply with quote
Asalam Aalaikum

I understand what does the author mean by the phrase "Book of Life",it actually refers to every human being on the face of the earth who spends his life without giving value and importance to his or her time.
Every day we open the new page of the book means that our time is passing without any obstacle in its way and we have to think about it carefully because the time which is passing doesnot return back and we have to be careful about our deeds that we perform in this world because this world is a cultivating land for the life hereafter, what ever we cultivate in this world ,we get its reward in the life hereafter.
Being a Muslim we should concentrate on our deeds and before going to sleep we should ask the following questions to ourselves:
"what I have done through out this entire day?"

"Have I done anything good?"

"Have I not disappointed Allah(swt)?

"Have I not hurted the feeling of any of Allah(swt)'s creation"?

Every day is like a page for us and day consist of time and time moves forward, so its time that we should give value to our time and think about our future.

Regards,
student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, January 31, 2005  -  12:08 PM Reply with quote
Asalam Aalaikum

The Book of Life is actually a file or a book which keeps a record of each and every incident which happens in our lives and also notes down our good and bad deeds that we perform in our lifetime.

We know that their are two angles with us that keep their eyes on us and they have both of them have a book in their hand, one of them records our bad deeds in his book and the other one records our good deeds in his book.
According to my knowledge and understanding, the Book of Life actually refers to that book which our angels hold in their hands.

Regards,
nadya

USA
Posted - Saturday, February 5, 2005  -  3:48 AM Reply with quote
This passage can certainly also be interpreted in the way you have Student 1, as the Quran says:

"Behold, two (guardian angels) appointed to learn (his doings) learn (and noted them), one sitting on the right and one on the left.
Not a word does he utter but there is a sentinel by him, ready (to note it)." (50:17-18)

Thank you for your insight.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker