Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
oosman

USA
Topic initiated on Wednesday, January 19, 2005  -  9:11 PM Reply with quote
Is Islamic life style a patriarchy?

Some say that Islam is not a patriarchy. I do not think so. I think Islam endorses patriarchy.

Patriarchy: social organization marked by the supremacy of the father in the clan or family, the legal dependence of wives and children, and the reckoning of descent and inheritance in the male line. (Meriam Webster dictionary)

In spiritual matters, Islam gives equal status to men and women. But in worldly matters, Islam does not give the sister the same share of inheritance as her brother who gets twice her share. Islam recommends or orders testimony of two women equal to that of one man in financial matters. Quran states that men are a degree over women. Islam grants men to marry multiple women. Islam states husband can give talaq.

Do you believe that Islamic system is not a patriarchy? Why?
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Wednesday, January 19, 2005  -  9:32 PM Reply with quote
>>Islam does not give the sister the same share of inheritance as her brother who gets twice her share.

If both are appointed before death, then both get an equal amount. If they are not appointed before death, then the brother gets twice the amount. Explain?

Also, the share of mother and father in inheritance is equal.

>>Islam recommends or orders testimony of two women equal to that of one man in financial matters.

Islam does not order and neither recommends, it merely suggests which is as mild a suggestion as on wife beating.

>>Quran states that men are a degree over women.

I am not sure of the words used, but this degree comes about owing to the responsibility of earning.

>>Islam grants men to marry multiple women.

In a certain context, and with great conditions, which end up discouraging the practice.

>>Islam states husband can give talaq.

And so can a woman opt for a Khula.

Do you believe that Islamic system is not a patriarchy?

I believe, there can be alternative opinions and interpretations.

Edited by: junaidj on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 11:27 PM
oosman

USA
Posted - Wednesday, January 19, 2005  -  11:58 PM Reply with quote
The word used for degree is darjah:

وَلِرِّجَالِ عَلَيْهِنَّ دَرَجَة ٌ

(2.228)

It is the same word as darjah in urdu that you and I are familiar with. My translation of the above is 'and for men is a degree over them' where them is female 'them' in arabic, not male 'them'.

The divisions in Islamic inheritance are very strange and it is difficult to apply logic on them. But Allah is all wise, and He knows best. It would not be correct to say that the division is generally equal between male and female, I believe in most cases more goes to the male member vs female member. Even in case of divisions to parents, what you state is not a generalization. When I was writing my will, I discovered that in at least two scenarios, my mother gets less compared to what my father gets from my inheritance. For e.g. if my siblings and my daughter are not alive and I die, then my mother gets 4/12, my wife gets 3/12 and my father gets 5/12. If my wife is also not alive but my siblings are alive, then my mother gets 1/6 and my father gets 5/6, siblings get nothing. If siblings are not alive, and wife and daughter are not alive and I die, then my father gets 2/3 and mother gets 1/3. In few cases share of mother and father is equal, e.g when my daughter is alive, my wife is alive and my siblings are alive, then share of my parents is equal. There are many other possible combinations, but in most of them the share of the male is more than that of the female if not equal, it is never less than the share of female.

Regarding testimony you said:

>>> Islam does not order and neither recommends, it merely suggests which is as mild a suggestion as on wife beating.

I do not agree with your interpretations.

You have to agree that this won't be so much fun if the two of us agreed on everything.
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Thursday, January 20, 2005  -  1:17 AM Reply with quote
The Prophet is recorded to have said 'The differences among the people in my Ummah are a sign of God's Grace.' or so I read somewhere. I'll leave it at that.

You are responsible on what what you deem to be correct and I am answerable based on my understanding. As long as we don't force our understanding upon others, I believe all is fine and healthy.

Having said that, peace. And yes, I vehemently disgaree with you, despite the fact I very much like you as a friend :)
shaheenamalik

USA
Posted - Friday, January 21, 2005  -  12:19 AM Reply with quote
Asslamu Alaikum,
Here is my thoughts on this issue:
>>Islam does not give the sister the same share of inheritance as her brother who gets twice her share.

My understanding in inheritance matters about male getting 2 times the female share is that in Islam, theoretically a man is financially responsible for his family and as such would be spending his share of the inheritance on the family whereas the women get to keep their inheritance all to themselves. Of course deviations do occur and in majority of cases the brothers do not give sisters their due share in muslim countries.
Also, let me put it this way: sister gets her one share and her husband brings in his two shares=three shares.

>>Islam recommends or orders testimony of two women equal to that of one man in financial matters.
This, I think is due to women's moodiness, emotionally sensitiveness, and PMS where they may exhibit irrational behavior.

>>Quran states that men are a degree over women.
Men are biologically different and physically stronger than women (although, nowadays we can certianly find some women equal in strenght to some men, but then this is some women not all)
Men have a degree over women because they are supposed to financially support the women and be kind and gentle to them as the women was made from Adam's rib

>>Islam grants men to marry multiple women.
So she and he can know who fathered her children!
Islam gave men permission for multiple wives to make alliances with enemy states, to provide for widown, to avoid prostituion>
Allahu A'lam.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker