<< Previous Page
1 2
Page 2 of 2

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, January 3, 2005  -  7:28 AM Reply with quote
There was a two-legged reason for starting this thread.

i) Personally, I'd been hurt immensely by such an experience, but all the while conceding, that the other party knew no other way; and

ii) To try and convince people that there is a possible other way too. To put humans before work. People who devote their lives to the cause of Allah - whether it be academically, socially etc. - are people that we all need to respect and appreciate. But in their fervour for the 'work of God', they end up forgetting that over and above the immediate mission at their hands, lies a greater mission: one of creating a sense of love and understanding with other people. Too often, when they are faced with a trade-off between 'work' and 'person', they choose work...though in my humble opinion, the better decision - in the eyes of the Almighty as well - would be to do take steps towards the person.

God be with you all.

Edited by: saadiamalik on Monday, January 03, 2005 7:29 AM
oosman

USA
Posted - Monday, January 3, 2005  -  4:07 PM Reply with quote
So where do you draw the line between 'work for God' and 'work for people'? Sometimes it is clearly defined, sometimes it is not.

In case of charity it is defined that it should start with the nearest one to you who is needy:

2.215: They ask thee what they should spend (In charity). Say: Whatever ye spend that is good, is for parents and kindred and orphans and those in want and for wayfarers. And whatever ye do that is good, -Allah knoweth it well.

Similar injunctions can be found all over the holy Quran.

But what do you do when it is not so clearly defined:

1-Miss your prayer to open the door to someone waiting at the gate in the rain, or continue to pray while he waits.
2-Expect wife to take care of chilren at night and the house while you spend the night in the masjid praying every other day.
3-Spend your annual vacation days travelling with the tableeghi jamaat while your family stays at home.
4-Leaving your family with no means of support while you go in a foreign land for jihaad.

The religious zealot is clearly doing whatever he is doing for the sake of Allah, but do you think he could gain more reward by looking after the people he is incharge of rather than worshipping Allah?

There is the example of the person whom the prophet asked to take care of his weak parents instead of going for jihad. And there are other hadith about the woman who spent all her time worshipping and he asked her to not do it too much, and the newly married man who would fast in the day and pray all night and not spend much time with his new wife.

What do we conclude from all this?
perv1

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, May 21, 2005  -  11:56 AM Reply with quote
It is utterly an exaggeration on our part to consider ourselves already born perfect and audited and look others from different angles to be needing all what we do to cause them suffer

Interesting discussion! i am not sure what your point is. I have not detected anyone here suggesting that they are born perfect. The point originally raised was was do religious, and I am making an assumption here it was probably refering to so called muslims. I must also add that some of the most unpleasent humans beings that I have encountered consider themselves as very strong muslims. Perhaps this is just my own distorted experience.
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, May 21, 2005  -  10:55 PM Reply with quote
QUOTE: Interesting discussion! i am not sure what your point is. I have not detected anyone here suggesting that they are born perfect. The point originally raised was was do religious, and I am making an assumption here it was probably refering to so called muslims. I must also add that some of the most unpleasent humans beings that I have encountered consider themselves as very strong muslims. Perhaps this is just my own distorted experience.

I shall read the whole forum again carefully and show you the polished surface to see the real distortion very soon Inshaallah, which the one is unable to see. Wait please.
Bhavittre

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, May 23, 2005  -  6:21 AM Reply with quote
good lawyers and that one of the victim seems more intelligent.
perv1

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, May 23, 2005  -  9:23 PM Reply with quote

Surely not more than yourself!
Bhavittre

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, May 24, 2005  -  1:37 PM Reply with quote
quote:

Surely not more than yourself!
Asim2

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, May 28, 2005  -  5:53 AM Reply with quote
Assalam-u-allaikum!

Be careful about what you say.
Religious + stone hearted --> the same person......
doesn't make any sense. This is a baseless claim.
A religious person is a person who has many good qualities including being soft-hearted , considerate, helpful etc...
You must have experienced an
apparently /outwardly / partially religious person .
So you have unintentionally criticized all the religious people. Not good. For a person that you observed as stone-hearted and you yourself judged that person to be religious and you yourself judged that since there is one person that is stone-hearted and you think that he is religious you have set a label/ banner/stamp of stone-hearted on all the religious people.

Edited by: asim2 on Sunday, May 29, 2005 2:48 PM
Loveall

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, May 28, 2005  -  9:03 PM Reply with quote
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

It is utterly an exaggeration on our part to consider ourselves already born perfect and audited and look others from different angles to be needing all what we do to cause them suffer. We try to see their response considering ourselves at the reference point of zero. If their response curves towards the left or below the zero they are called ignorant but if on the right or above the zero they are called arrogant, stubborn etc.

What is this type of heart we have, soft like lips, firm like tip of the nose, hard like bone or stony hard just like a stone?

Wassalam with the saying of God:

O you who believe! Why do you say that which you do not do? It is most hateful to Allah that you should say that which you do not do. (61.2 and 3)

Edited by: Loveall on Saturday, May 28, 2005 10:58 PM

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

<< Previous Page
1 2
Page 2 of 2

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker