Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Meursault

UNITED KINGDOM
Topic initiated on Wednesday, November 24, 2004  -  4:25 PM Reply with quote
The Cause of Religion

Hello,

I am new to these forums and I am quite interested in getting your views on a rather general and perhaps philosophical question.

What is the cause, or reason for religion?

Is it because man needs to belive there is a being greater than himself?
Maybe a source of ulitmate fairness?
Or is it because there is one God who calls to us all?

It is a very vague starting point, but perhaps we can refine it.

Meursault
nadya

USA
Posted - Saturday, November 27, 2004  -  11:10 PM Reply with quote
Asalamu Alaykum

think first we need to establish what exactly "religion" signifies or means in our world. Let us look to a purely academic definition of religion:

Oxtoby, in his World Religions (Oxford, 1996), defines religion in the following way:

"Religion is a sense of power beyond the human, apprehended rationally as well as emotionally, appreciated corporately as well as individually, celebrated ritually and symbolically as well as discursively, transmitted as a tradition in conventionalized forms and formulations that offer people an interpretation of experience, a guide to conduct, and an orientation to meaning and purpose in the world."

Further, academically, religion is defined with the presence of some or all of the following characteristics:

• Supernatural power, sacred/profane distinction
• Ritual acts
• Moral code
• A sense of awe, mystical experience
• Prayer or meditation
• World view
• Promise of well-being, inner harmony, peace, a new age, or an after life

In the face of these definitions creeds such as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Shinto, Tao, Hinduism, Buddhism and many other would be termed as religions.

You will find many philosophical or sociological reasons explaining the origin of religion. However I believe that man is born with the insight and intellect to recognize that the intricacy of design and the magnificence of balance of the immeasurable creation around him could not be the result of some random accident but caused by a supernatural being. He yearns to know his creator and to attain the true world view which would describe for him the reality of purpose of all creation and of his own life.

I believe God in His benevolence communicated to man the reality of creation, and Himself, a moral criterion in case of man's faltering and guidance for living. He did so by choosing people as His messengers to communicate His message to mankind. Thus formed divinely inspired codes of living or in other word religions.

In other cases purely human endeavors to decipher reality and establish a holy way of life to reach the Divine resulted in codes of life which we also classify in accordance with the above definitions as religions.

Regards.
Meursault

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, December 2, 2004  -  6:05 PM Reply with quote
thankyou for you're reply.

Perhaps a word better suited to my orginial question would be belife, rather than religion.

Would you then say that God chose you as a beliver, or that you chose to recognise God?

Meursault
nadya

USA
Posted - Tuesday, December 7, 2004  -  10:16 AM Reply with quote
Asalamu Alaykum
(peace be upon you)

I think our very test lies in recognizing God or failing to do so, in living by His commandments or failing to do so. He has spread out enough evidence in the cosmos for His existence and has bestowed man with the instinct and mental capacity to recognize the truth.

Furthermore, God has created man with free will and thus he will be held responsible and accountable for his actions. If belief in God was randomly bestowed by Him on some and not others and man had no free will to actively choose then what would be the need for moral criterion, and for the judgment in the Hereafter and the consequent results?

I believe every man and woman choose the beliefs they adhere to, whatever they maybe.

Regards.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker