Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  6:14 AM Reply with quote
Women's Role in Video Entertainment

Assalaamu Alaikum.

I hope you all are doing well.

In countries like Pakistan, women do not have many outlets for entertainment. If they go out for a walk, they are hounded by piercing eyes of silent predators; no amusement parks or entertainment avenues exist, and there is hardly any purpose in just driving around the crowded cities for pleasure. What do women do then: do they simply sit at home and curse themselves, do they develop a monotonous routine 'to work and back',...? What would you suggest?

One mode of entertainment equally and fairly accessible to women is video entertainment. For a relaxing hour or so, we can all mostly afford to be couch potatoes. The questions then are:

1) Do you consider entertainment movies a desirable past-time every now and then, given that you disregard the objectionable ones, and why? What about simple TV dramas?

2) And given that you get a 'clean' movie or programme, would the idea of women working with non-mahram men be acceptable to you, given they act as their wives, mothers, sisters,...for the sake of art?

Your insights will be deeply appreciated.

Allah Hafiz.

Saadia
Roswell

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  1:32 PM Reply with quote
Salaam,
I'm afraid to say that your objection as of being messed by some street guys or by anyother mean has no weigh nowadays, atleast not in my city.There is definite liberty.
Neverthless, Indoor amusement can't be compare with outdoor.Women should get their right to entertain out side of their home,and this home entertainment is not the solutiong for women.
Regards
Drsmita

INDIA
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  1:55 PM Reply with quote
I am from India here the women folk do move out i am from a smaller place not metro so women mostly in salwaar kameez and jeans shirt .The TV here the music videos are so disgusting i dont know how they even think of making it and the TV dramas some serials are good but the women are depicted in stereotype roles and some times it gets too much to even watch them. What remains are the news channela ,Discovery ,National Geography and History channels.
May be the world is changing and people do make cuch things for Tv but the choice remains with us not to watch them.We can not change peoples thinking but we dont have to agree with them
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  2:47 PM Reply with quote
Thank you both for your comments. The idea is not so much as to whether a lady does have the "liberty" to walk around or not. My idea was to express the plight of some - for 'comfortable' or 'uncomfortable' may carry different connotations for different women.

My stress was basically on Women's Role in Video Entertainment. Would love to have further comments on that.

khaledgr8

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  4:43 PM Reply with quote
Asalm-o-aliekum,
Actually since muslim falls.The world has developed according to ideology of west.So they have developed world according to their interest.With many things, "Entertainment for women" they have shown thier culture or whatever.If we muslim would be in power we will shaped women entertainment in our style.So i think it is very critical topic for tv entertainment of womens.As far as watching tv chaanels for intertainment it depends on individuals's nafs how much she can save from valgarity or whatever.
Islam give basic teaching for outdoor work for womens that they should frist priority sharmo-ohaya.So one keep this thing in mind then i think there should be no harm.
May Allah guide us towards truth
Syed Sharif Uddin
khaledgr8

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  4:44 PM Reply with quote
Asalm-o-aliekum,
Actually since muslim falls.The world has developed according to ideology of west.So they have developed world according to their interest.With many things, "Entertainment for women" they have shown thier culture or whatever.If we muslim would be in power we will shaped women entertainment in our style.So i think it is very critical topic for tv entertainment of womens.As far as watching tv chaanels for intertainment it depends on individuals's nafs how much she can save from valgarity or whatever.
Islam give basic teaching for outdoor work for womens that they should frist priority sharmo-ohaya.So one keep this thing in mind then i think there should be no harm.
May Allah guide us towards truth
Syed Sharif Uddin
MuhammadRehan

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  4:59 PM Reply with quote
Assalam o alikum wr wbrkt.

Actually our culture is badly influenced by the Western Culture by the slogan "Freedom of women" but women were not traped in Islamic culture, its a Vast topic any how I want to give my coments according to the topic here.
If I write this sentence as " women are use for intertainment in vedio" it will enhance the meaning but I am writting this sentence with sorrow that this is against the deginity of Muslim women. Actually women's role in vedio contains many bad factors besides the intertainment. Thier role in vedio cause gazing of non mehram that is a gigantic sin. Now in Pakistan women are roling for Commercial advertizements with realizing the spirit of Islam. In simple Daramas (which are now vacant) they have to role with men as their mother, sister, wife, daughter and for this they have to do every thing with them which is not restricted with mehrams i.e brother, father and son. If a boy in the street or a man on the road even tries to talk with women its is called that their act is bad but in the vedio making scandles is appriciated . Allah Save our culture
saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  5:29 PM Reply with quote
quote:

Assalam o alikum wr wbrkt.

Actually our culture is badly influenced by the Western Culture by the slogan "Freedom of women" but women were not traped in Islamic culture, its a Vast topic any how I want to give my coments according to the topic here.
If I write this sentence as " women are use for intertainment in vedio" it will enhance the meaning but I am writting this sentence with sorrow that this is against the deginity of Muslim women. Actually women's role in vedio contains many bad factors besides the intertainment. Thier role in vedio cause gazing of non mehram that is a gigantic sin. Now in Pakistan women are roling for Commercial advertizements with realizing the spirit of Islam. In simple Daramas (which are now vacant) they have to role with men as their mother, sister, wife, daughter and for this they have to do every thing with them which is not restricted with mehrams i.e brother, father and son. If a boy in the street or a man on the road even tries to talk with women its is called that their act is bad but in the vedio making scandles is appriciated . Allah Save our culture

Thanks a lot for your comments and sentiments. I admire them. I would like to put this question to you, and others too:

Say, a lady is to play the role of a sister to a male person. The script does not require them to make any contact, she dresses up properly, etc. Would you consider that acceptable art or would you still disagree to it?

I, of course, am not reflecting my opinion. The entire purpose of this thread is to help me, and others like me, to shape our opinions (and yours too, if you'd like), through this discussion. May Allah enable us to tread the "straight path".

Wasalaam.

Edited by: saadiamalik on Thursday, November 11, 2004 5:33 PM
Nauman

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  6:37 PM Reply with quote
Ussalaamu Álaykum

I believe that in countries like Pakistan, it is not the women but also the whole family which suffers from no amusement parks or entertainment avenues. Unless we provide good entertainment for the family; this means safe enviorment, provinding safe entertaimment to women alone is far ahead.
But this is only the problem of the middle and lower class. The upper class got their entertainment in the form of lavish parties, disco and ofcourse their favourite past time abroad.

As far as your question 'Do you consider entertainment movies a desirable past-time every now and then and why? What about simple TV dramas?'; it is all about the taste. Some people love to watch movies and dramas. They leave anything for it. But meeting people and interacting with them has a huge impact on a person personality than sticking to the TV screen.

About your second question 'Would the idea of women working with non-mahram men be acceptable to you, given they act as their wives, mothers, sisters,...for the sake of art?'; I think we can all see quite a libral dramas on the cable pakistani channels, few came under criticism also. I think it is up to the woman to decide herself.

Our society's main problem is that it never consider any person a free human. We practice more of our culture than our religion.

Nauman Ilyas.
qazi123

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  6:54 PM Reply with quote
Assalam o Alaikum,

The questions that are being asked have taken quite a personal shape. With due respect to all the participants, I feel that the more pertinent question here is not that how an individual feels about something but it is how we as a society have accepted traditions and cultural values that once we felt bad at associating ourselves with. I think we should dwell into the causes of matters of such enormity. We talk about how a man sees a lady walking in a street, but what is more important to me is that whatever that man envisions, either good or bad, what led him to do that. What role is our society playing in shaping the role of women and why only women? and not men?. I hope I am not digressing from the topic too much. I will get back with more of my comments soon.

Wasalam,

Ihsan
student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  7:00 PM Reply with quote
Asalam Aalaikum

Sadia, thank you for inviting me to this thread,you have started a good topic"Women role in Video entertainment".The comments of the people actually reflect their opinion and like others I would also like to express my comments on this topic.

Before presenting my comments on the role of women in Video entertainment, I would like to highlight some important facts.

In Islam, Women is the most respected creation since a women is a mother, a sister and a wife as well,it was Islam which granted a respectable position to women.

As far as the participation of ladies in Dramas and TV serials are concerned,
If she is capable of keeping the respect which Islam has granted her, then i dont think their is any problem with her working in Drama Serials and TV Serials.
I think a woman can work in Dramas without having a physical interaction with the opposite gender.

Regards,

saadiamalik

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  7:13 PM Reply with quote
quote:

If she is capable of keeping the respect which Islam has granted her, then i dont think their is any problem with her working in Drama Serials and TV Serials.
I think a woman can work in Dramas without having a physical interaction with the opposite gender.

Regards,

Assalaamu Alaikum. Thank you all so much for pitching in. Really, thank you very much. The quote above display exactly the kind of opinions I'm looking for - be it 'for' or 'against', but clear and with a reasoning.

Look forward to more, insha'Allah.

Wasalaam.

Saadia
student1

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  7:14 PM Reply with quote
quote:

Asalam Aalaikum

Sadia, thank you for inviting me to this thread,you have started a good topic"Women role in Video entertainment".The comments of the people actually reflect their opinion and like others I would also like to express my comments on this topic.

Before presenting my comments on the role of women in Video entertainment, I would like to highlight some important facts.

In Islam, Women is the most respected creation since a women is a mother, a sister and a wife as well,it was Islam which granted a respectable position to women.

Regards,

irfansalafi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  9:10 PM Reply with quote

Assalam u alaikum
First of all, one thing should be cleared for us that entertainment is actually not at this priority where we assume it today.This change of thinking is due to the cultural war of west against east and especialy against muslims.
I t is true that islam not forbiden us from entertainment but it is also fact that early muslim women did not had this problem.Why she not had this problem????????
Some people say me you think like mullass. You want to arrest women in home.But i think that women has so many chances to solve this problem of entertainment.
Many of our childs (including girls) past most of their early period of life in playing and education.After education, when they enter in practical life, men busy in their business or job and women in home management or works. And when she got married and born childs ,her responsibities and works in home increases.
Here a main thing also want to mention here that today's women of upper class and also middle class has a bad hobby of not working theirselves.They appoint servents for work.

Here I want to tell obout some ideas to solve this problem.

Woman should concentrate herself in home management of things but also of peoples(i.e family members).I mean if she have children then she must intrests in childs body health as well as metal health.
    She should also spare some time for selfstudy.I mean reading good books especialy islamic books(especially QURAN AND AHADEES).
    She should also meet women living near to her(neigbours).She should share problems facing during dailylife (avoiding from backbiting).
    She should also meet with nearly relatives in boaring time.
    As sister saadia mention that when women go outdoor, men see their with bad eyes.I think that these vedio and daramaas are responsible for this which is named by people as "Entertainment" ,"Social films" or "GHARAYLOO DARAMAAS"
    I advise all of our boaring sisters and mothers to avoid by seeing the tv programmes.Because media is not in good hands. Many of our innocent daughters and sisters daaged by this media.Except that i advise them if they want some entertainment then they can see some cartoon programmes but not those foolish cartoons like tom and jerry.... but i mean some Arabic islamic cartoon.Some arabs made the cartoon on some muslims historical heros.There are also some charatertized and entertaining cartoons.

I also have an idea to make some cartoon in urdu.If studying-islam has such programme then dont forget to inform me.
At end i finalize my point that we should not forget our pupose of life.So we concentrate all of our qualities for AKHIRAT.

quote:

WE USE LIFE NOT MORE THAN NEED

Irfan salafi
tweety

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, November 11, 2004  -  10:53 PM Reply with quote
salaamz
i think
if they rnt muslims
it doesnt really matter if they r with mahrams or not
but ther IS a law of purity
we shudnt spoil our inner puirty and b selfish about it
if thers nethin imodest cumin up
lyk for xample 2 ppl makin out 2 b quite frank..
then we shud avert our eyes cuz that damages our sight in a spiritual way
*not literally ofcourse...unless ur sitin 2 close 2 the tv!*
i myself am kinda a movie adict :P 2 my mum's displeasure
but i dnt watch nethin bad
and especially no dramas or indian movies
wat a waste of tym!
but i do love other movies
lyk Shrek...or even LOTR!
sory im getin carried away
ah well
point made
Junaidj

CANADA
Posted - Friday, November 12, 2004  -  1:34 AM Reply with quote
>>but i dnt watch nethin bad
and especially no dramas or indian movies
wat a waste of tym!
but i do love other movies
lyk Shrek...or even LOTR!

And what do you think of girls ogling at Legolas! Or perhaps the love scenes between Aragorn and Arwen?

Even something like Shrek, when Princess Fiona dances with Prince Charming or when she kisses Shrek?

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2 3 4
Next page >>
Page 1 of 4

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker