Get password? Username Password

Page 1 of 1

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Tariq Hashmi

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Saturday, October 30, 2004  -  7:57 AM Reply with quote
Module: A hadith

What does the following tradition tell us regarding the question what Sunanh is:

'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported.: Halt at al-Abtah is not the Sunnah. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) halted there simply because it was easier for him to depart from there, when he left. (Muslim No: 1311)

hkhan

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, November 22, 2004  -  7:00 AM Reply with quote
I think/understand this is another e.g.of the fact that Sunan is something which comes to us via continuation in generations(tawathar) and ijma'(mutual agreement ) and a practice which was either initiated by the beloved prophet sws or by the beloved prophet ibrahim a.s. and continued by Muhammad sws.

Practices like you mentioned and others relevant to the practices the prophet sws adopted as per need of the time, cultural value, personal likes and dislikes, wud not be regaaded as Sunnah ; because that would mean that we are obliged to strictly followi it.

Pls correct/guide me where I'm mistaken.
salman

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, November 22, 2004  -  6:06 PM Reply with quote
I think that only those practices that relate to Islam and are stressed by Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) can be regarded as Sunnah. The Prophet's own opinion regarding a certain thing cn't be included in sunnah. The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) had certain roles to play in his life including the one like an ordinary human being. So whatever His opinion regarding ordinary course of life can't be included in the sunnah.
mrniceman2004

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, November 22, 2004  -  6:25 PM Reply with quote
Salams
Dr MA DAVIES
Thanks for the post. I have decided to post your comments in a seperate discussion because it did not relate to the thread. Please go through the modules and post your comments in you do not agree with the author on any points. From you post i learned that you differ with the author seriously.
Your article has been posted at: http://www.studying-islam.org/forum/topic.aspx?topicid=1071&lang=&forumid=14
regards,
tariq

Edited by: tariq hashmi on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 8:47 AM
waseem

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, November 23, 2004  -  12:28 AM Reply with quote
Sunnan are only practices explicitly, that were declared Din by the Holy Prophet sws or that are clearly religious in nature.The Holy Prophet sws adopted a number of personal habits based on his personal likings, in areas which do not fall within the purview of Din. But he did not make these things mandatory for his followers because they do not form part of Din revealed to him.None of these acts is part of Sunnah.
Thus Sunnah only consists of practical matters. Thus Sunnah excludes practices that the Holy Prophet sws did not institute as Sunnah.
rahiqah1

USA
Posted - Tuesday, November 23, 2004  -  12:58 PM Reply with quote
I believe that it is saying that those acts that are performed by the Prophet(SAAWS) should not be taken as Sunnah unless it is actually practiced by the Prophet (SAAWS) and reported as such by way of Hadith and Qu'ran.
Tariq Hashmi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, November 23, 2004  -  5:33 PM Reply with quote
I believe that it is saying that those acts that are performed by the Prophet(SAAWS) should not be taken as Sunnah unless it is actually practiced by the Prophet (SAAWS) and reported as such by way of Hadith and Qu'ran.
Do you mean that the Prophet (sws) did not perform the act mentioned in this hadith?

Edited by: tariq hashmi on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 7:19 AM
Ibrahimblicksjo

SWEDEN
Posted - Wednesday, April 5, 2006  -  3:21 PM Reply with quote
Maybe it is so that there is a difference between practical life when it comes to religious,social, economical matters and so on as shown by Prophet Muhammad (saws).Practises shown by him to us in orther for us to understand how to LIVE Islam. Or if like the hadeeth states that he just stops at a place to make it easier to travel from A to B.If exactly everything Prophet Muhammad (saws) did should be for us to follow then, for instance, we all should know exactly when we should need to go to bed every day of the year. ( maybe bad example but just trying to reason)
Tariq Hashmi

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, April 5, 2006  -  8:27 PM Reply with quote
assalaam o alaikum
I am sorry i could not understand your point fully. Would you please elaborate on it a little further.
Thanks.
Ibrahimblicksjo

SWEDEN
Posted - Wednesday, April 5, 2006  -  8:56 PM Reply with quote
I mean that there is a difference between when the Prophet (saws) showed religious practises or if he, like in this case, halted at a place because it was easier for him when he departed from there.

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Page 1 of 1

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker