Next page >>
Page 1 of 3

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly 

AuthorTopic
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Topic initiated on Monday, January 5, 2004  -  7:30 PM Reply with quote
Module2: Keeping Beard

Is it compulsory for Muslim men to keep beard?
only4allah

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Saturday, January 24, 2004  -  5:47 AM Reply with quote
Assalamu alaikum,
since it is sunnah for a Muslim man to keep a beard, hence it is favoured upon; i would think it to be something that all the school of thoughts have agreed upon as something that a Muslim man should do.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Saturday, January 24, 2004  -  11:10 AM Reply with quote
All Muslims agree on the status of beard as Sunnah or the fact that Muslim men should keep beard?

Why I am asking this is because I think there are many things that I believe Muslim men should do but these are not Sunnah. For instance, I'd like them to be well-read and well conversant with the modern scietific disciplines and technological innovations, which are of course not Sunnah.
only4allah

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Monday, January 26, 2004  -  3:00 AM Reply with quote
Isn't it sunnah for a Muslim man to keep a beard? since this was one of the things our beloved Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam did?

i would define the word compulsory to mean the same as obligatory, so in my opinion, i don't think it is obligatory for a Muslim man to keep a beard... yet it is good to copy the way the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam lived and keeping a beard is something that he did.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Monday, January 26, 2004  -  10:59 AM Reply with quote

Declaring something Sunnah means we are attaching a specific religious importance to some act/deed. It is only the prerogative of the Holy Prophet (pbuh) to institute something as Sunnah.

The Holy Prophet (pbuh) has done so many things in his life which are not Sunnah. We cannot include something in Sunnan solely on the basis that he did this. Can we?

I agree on the point that if you love someone and idealize them, you will be copying them too. Keeping this in mind, one may show his love of the Holy Prophet (pbuh) by keeping beard. But they should not say that they are doing this as Sunnah; rather as a manifestation of their love of the Holy Prophet (pbuh).

only4allah

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, January 27, 2004  -  3:49 AM Reply with quote
keeping a beard is something that clearly distinguishes a male from female and although it maybe sunnah some debate whether it is wajib.
some also say that the beard for a man is his hijaab, since it will refrain them from certain things; (e.g. going to the cinema(bad example, i know)), hence helping them guarde their modesty...

i see your point about not making everything the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam did sunnah, jazak Allah khieran for that.

Edited by - only4allah on January 27 2004 03:50:23
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Tuesday, January 27, 2004  -  10:26 AM Reply with quote
Thank you for your post!

A moustache can also differentiate between male and female. Would it be okay if a man has a moustache and not a beard?

It is interesting that a beard can stop a person from going to cinema; how? I do not know. Could you please tell me how?

only4allah

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, January 27, 2004  -  9:45 PM Reply with quote
Everything i am saying is purely based on what i know and my own opinion, so please do not quote me on anything, for if it is wrong i will be held accountable for it on the Day of Judgement and Allah subhana wa ta'alaa is my witness.

Theorectically, having a beard should refrain one from doing certain acts such as going clubbing, going to the cinema etc etc simply because when one chooses to have a beard, society seems to categorise them as someone who is pious; hence one who follows the Islamic teachings closely, for logic says if one can get the not so important details, such as having a beard correct, then that same person must have the important details correct; but of course this is not always true. Simply because for some people having a beard and dressing sunnah is just a means of 'looking' the part, i.e. having the Islamic identity.
What all Muslims need to keep in mind, is that we are all representing Islam. if we are to dress the part and act in an un-islamic way out in public; behaviour that annoys others around us, some of which are Non-Muslims with no or very little knowledge of Islam; then there is a chance of those Non-Muslims categorising Islam and all Muslims based on that person's behaviour, hence giving Islam a bad name. Not everyone will judge Islam based on its teaching (i.e. the Qur'an and Sunnah), but some will base it on what they see other Muslims do and say.
Just in the same way, the hijab is something that makes it obvious to Non-Muslim's that this female is Muslim, and therefore is representing Islam. If this girl wearing hijab was to have very bad characteristics (e.g. swearing, pushing, being loud), there is a chance that the Non-Muslims will think that this is what Islam teaches; when in reality it is not.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, January 28, 2004  -  11:25 AM Reply with quote

You say:

Theorectically, having a beard should refrain one from doing certain acts such as going clubbing, going to the cinema etc etc simply because when one chooses to have a beard, society seems to categorise them as someone who is pious.

This point is well appreciated. Something which is supposedly percieved as a religious symbol can potentially stop people from doing inappropriate things. However, there is a great danger that if people adorned with such symbols resort to evil means, they will also destroy the image of the religion they are representing as you yourself have also alluded to.

You then say:

then there is a chance of those Non-Muslims categorising Islam and all Muslims based on that person's behaviour, hence giving Islam a bad name. Not everyone will judge Islam based on its teaching (i.e. the Qur'an and Sunnah), but some will base it on what they see other Muslims do and say.

I also agree on this point. Muslims should live a responsible life; they should know that they are the representative of Islam, whether they accept it or not; the world evaualate Isalm on the basis of their actions and words. They ought to become a good representative of it or openly declare that they have left the bounds of Islam.

My first question however remains unanswered. The question is:

A moustache can also differentiate between male and female. Would it be okay if a man has a moustache and not a beard?

only4allah

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Thursday, January 29, 2004  -  2:03 AM Reply with quote
I agree that a moustache differentiates between male and female. However, i think one who chooses to have a beard would be somewhat more dedicated to his deen than one without.

At the same time, I think it would be ok if a man has a moustache and not a beard simply because, we shouldn't really judge a person based on their appearence, for it is emaan and taqwa that makes one better than the other.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Thursday, January 29, 2004  -  11:48 PM Reply with quote

At the same time, I think it would be ok if a man has a moustache and not a beard simply because, we shouldn't really judge a person based on their appearence, for it is emaan and taqwa that makes one better than the other.

This is the point that we the Muslims need to appreciate not only as regards the matters which have some outward manifestation or appearance but also about the matters which are related to opinions and beliefs. A Muslim should not be codemned to eternal damnation merely because he has a different viewpoint about Jihad, triple divorce or Rafa Yadain etc.

However, there is one point about beard that I would like to share with you. Beard is something with which nature has adorned men. There is no denying the fact that that moustache does differentiate between male and female yet nature has also blessed men with beard to draw such a differentiation. We need to honor what nature has endowed us.

I am not attaching any importance to beard in the religious context. what I am saying is that when Allah created man, he created him with the ability to grow beard and moustache. Since it is bestowed upon men by nature, they should honor it. I repeat again that there is no attempt to sancitfy beard in the religious context yet a desire to honor what is given to us.

only4allah

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Friday, January 30, 2004  -  12:05 AM Reply with quote
I totally agree with both your points!!

Man should honour what nature has endowed us, appreciate and accept the way Allah has created us.

Muslims shouldn't judge one another based on appearance, culture, nationality, different viewpoints and the like, for who are we to judge on another? Only Allah has the authority to judge, and He, subhana wa ta'alaa is the best of judgers.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Friday, January 30, 2004  -  11:21 AM Reply with quote

Nice!

However the question remains: what can we do to let people see that we are not the judge; we can indulge in dialogue; we can criticize viewpoints on the basis of sound arguments but we cannot/should not judge other people?

only4allah

UNITED KINGDOM
Posted - Tuesday, February 3, 2004  -  12:49 AM Reply with quote
Good point!!

I personally feel that one should not say anything unless it is of use, if it is of no use then i think we should just remain silent.
It's true that people converse, indulge in dialogue and some may critisize daily, yet i feel that constructive criticism could be useful, if it is delivered in the correct manner.
In this i mean that if one is to give constructive criticism or what i call advice, one needs to do this privately as not to embarrase the other in front of a crowd. Also, how one structures their sentences should be said in the most gentlest way, and wise words with a humble attitude, they should point out possible alternatives and state the positive sides, yet not making the other person feel 'small' on the negative things they have said/done.
Importantly, one needs to be full aware that Allah is his witness, and what he say's or does he will be held accountable for it on the Day of Judgement, and could go against him. What we choose to say/do should be done purly for the pleasure of Allah.
Jhangeer Hanif

PAKISTAN
Posted - Wednesday, February 4, 2004  -  10:26 PM Reply with quote

The point that we must not make the other person feel small is of crucial importance.

No message can be put across if we put the other person on defence. A friendly dialogue can resolve matters peacfully. I do not imply that dialogue will always lead to agreement . However, dialogue will help you appreciate the difference of opinion; respect the differing viewpoint and get along with the dissident person peacfully and respectfully.

Having said that; I again raise the question. What can we possibly do to let people see that we should indulge in dialogue instead of passign judgments long before hearing out the other person? The general mentality that I see in the Muslims is that they are secluded in their separate cocoons and they are saying that other factions are utterly wrong; what they themselves are professing is actually the truth. What should be done to bring them to the dialogue table? What can we do to let them see the importance of dialogue?

ummtalha

QATAR
Posted - Thursday, February 26, 2004  -  12:43 AM Reply with quote
Narrated Ibn Umar(r.a):Allah's messenger(saw) said,"Do the opposite of what the pagans do, cut the moustaches short and leave the beard (as it is)."[7:781 Sahih Bukhari]

Reply to Topic    Printer Friendly
Jump To:

1 2 3
Next page >>
Page 1 of 3

Share |

Copyright Studying-Islam © 2003-7  | Privacy Policy  | Code of Conduct  | An Affiliate of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences ®

eXTReMe Tracker